• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Safe to drive cross-country using 5W30 oil?

nsxtasy said:
5W30 is very clearly NOT recommended by Honda in its documentation.

Fine, the manual do not recommend the 5w30, understood. But he still safe to run with it though for 15 hours straight, right? I believe it won't be a disaster to use it for couple of hours/days driving.

Would I recommend to use it all year long every 3000, absolutely not.

PS: I really like the way you give advice here to the forum dude,respect for that. It's always better to be safe than sorry. G'night..

Hugh said:
Zenky said:

The following is important

One point that no one brought up however is the difference between synthetics and conventional motor oils. Conventional oils require a lot of polymers. This really isn't a problem for gasoline engines but has caused problems in diesels. Polymers can shear and burn forming deposits that can cause ring sticking and other problems. Generally the higher base multi-viscosity oils require fewer polymers than the lower ones.
(20W50 requires fewer polymers than 10W40 even though they both have a 30 point spread.

This all becomes moot with synthetics

Synthetics require far fewer polymers to achieve their rated temperature range. In fact Mobil 1 5W30 does not use any viscosity index improvers (polymers) in their 5W-30 formulation.

So to reiterate, the thread starter has zero, I repeat zero, risk of damage to his engine by using 5W30 oil. If he were driving a diesel, I'd suggest that he make sure he is using a synthetic oil but as we all know that isn't the case.

Hugh, you hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, you failed to drive it home.

Ken can never be wrong quoting the manual. That is incontrovertible. However, where he is mistaken is that deviating from the manual one iota is 100% wrong. Ken is a great contributor and source of information, but in this regard, that is, in my opinion, nonsense. Here is why I think so.

When the NSX was designed in the late 1980s, synthetic oils were not common. If they were common, then the manual - which was written at the same time and has not been significantly updated except to deal with minor changes, certainly not this issue - might have been written differently. In fact, I suspect that Honda would have specified only synthetic oil for the NSX. That is what many manufacturers specified for cars introduced after the NSX.

The issue is not with the oil viscosity once the engine is at operating temperature, but at start up. In other words will 5W provide adequate protection on startup? Or will only 10W do the job?

It depends on the oil.

The shear strength of synthetic oils is far superior to that of dino oils. That means the oil is more resistant to being 'torn apart' resulting in two metal surfaces (piston rings on cylinder walls, for example) rubbing together and slowly destroying each other. Because of their higher shear strength, synthetic oils provide excellent engine protection at lower weights. That is why we see 0W synthetic oils being used. Dino oils are not made below 5W and even then 5W is intended to be used only in cold temperatures for short periods of time (even in Canada, winter hardly lasts more than six or seven months :biggrin: ). But due to its high shear strength, a synthetic 5W oil will provide excellent protection on start up. Once warmed up, the visclosity increases until it is eventually at 30, which is what the factory recommends.

With that in mind, let me pose a few questions:

Will driving 15 hours across Texas with 5W-30 in the crankcase cause engine damage? No, and I would not give it a second thought, regardless of whether it was dino or synthetic oil. But I would be very careful about warming up and accelerate gently until it was fully warmed up. And remember the coolant temperature increases far quicker than the oil temperature. So give your engine another 5 or 10 minutes after the temperature gauge indicates it is at operating temperature.

Would I run 5W-30 oil if I lived in Dallas? Not if I was using dino oil. But if I was using synthetic, definitely. I use 5W-30 synthetic (Redline now,and previously Mobil 1) year 'round, including four to six track days a year. Am I causing engine damage? I won't know the definitive answer until my engine gets rebuilt (presently scheduled at 300k kilometres) but I do know that my car does not burn a drop of oil between changes every 6k kilometres.

Would I insist the dealer change the oil to 10W-30? No, but I would definitely point it out, and suggest they provide the next oil change (at least the labour) for free.

Since the 5W versus 10W dead horse has been kicked around the block, maybe we should now consider why the factory does not recommend anything higher than 30?:biggrin:

NSX Maven said:
Once warmed up, the visclosity increases until it is eventually at 30, which is what the factory recommends.

I think you meant to say "once warmed up, the viscosity decreases until it is at 30" because as you know the 5 and the 30 are on different scales.

Regards,

Patrick

nsxtasy said:
No disrespect, but you haven't shown any proof of your claim that it WON'T be harmful to the engine to use 5W30, which is in direct contradiction of Honda's recommendation.

He doesn't have to show proof that it's not harmful. Honda has already done that by omission.

Let's stick with the "If it's in the owner's manual, it's the word of God" theory.
Fine, I can live with that but here's where the power of silence is sending a powerful message.

Let's say Owen lives in Fairbanks, Alaska and uses 5W30 as per the manual's recommendation. 2 months later Owen decides to go on vacation to Southern California and decides to have his NSX shipped. Since Owen doesn't have Internet access he decides to consult his owner's manual for guidance. Not seeing any specific warning to cold climate owners that not changing to 10W30 if the car was to suddenly find itself in a warm climate would cause engine damage Owen calmy packs his stuff and plans his vacation.

The moral of the story is that if using 5W30 oil in your NSX in warm climates had even the most minute chance of causing engine damage, Honda would warn against using it. Just like they warn against overloading the trunk, against this and against that.

Hugh said:
He doesn't have to show proof that it's not harmful. Honda has already done that by omission.

Let's stick with the "If it's in the owner's manual, it's the word of God" theory.
Fine, I can live with that but here's where the power of silence is sending a powerful message.

Let's say Owen lives in Fairbanks, Alaska and uses 5W30 as per the manual's recommendation. 2 months later Owen decides to go on vacation to Southern California and decides to have his NSX shipped. Since Owen doesn't have Internet access he decides to consult his owner's manual for guidance. Not seeing any specific warning to cold climate owners that not changing to 10W30 if the car was to suddenly find itself in a warm climate would cause engine damage Owen calmy packs his stuff and plans his vacation.

The moral of the story is that if using 5W30 oil in your NSX in warm climates had even the most minute chance of causing engine damage, Honda would warn against using it. Just like they warn against overloading the trunk, against this and against that.
I was thinking the same thing but let’s not even go as far as moving to a different state.
As NSX Maven pointed out given that it’s all the same at running temp, it’s all about start up.
Also please forgive me for rehashing some of what Hugh has already said.
What if you live somewhere where you are pretty sure it’s going to be freezing for every night for the next month so you change to 5w 30 but you get up one morning and it’s not freezing. Can you drive the car or do you have to change the oil? Or how about you end up going somewhere and parking indoors. Do you have to tow the car out into the snow and let it sit for a few hours until it freezes? Or even, how about you take it on a short trip to get some shopping. Do you need to leave the car running? because if you stop the engine and start it 5 minutes later it sure as hell is not going to be at freezing temp.
All this would suggest that in this case Hondas recommendation in the Owners Manual can not be that super critical.

Regards,

Patrick

Lots of great info in this thread.

I'll bookmark it and look at it when we have this discussion again next year. :tongue:

I had no idea this question would garner so much attention and responses. Thanks to all that replied constructively. I just wish that people didn't have to attack each other w/ scathing posts!

To bring it full circle, although i am convinced my engine wouldn't go up in smoke if I continued w/ 5W30, $55 for a 10W30 Mobile 1 oil change is more than worth it for my peace of mind, which I had done last weekend. =)

The owner's manual also says not to change your oil until 7,500 miles under "normal" driving conditions...if you take it literally--changing it early isn't what the Honda engineers had in mind.

NSXGMS said:
The owner's manual also says not to change your oil until 7,500 miles under "normal" driving conditions...
Absolutely not true. The recommended mileage and time intervals specified in the owner's manual are maximum intervals. You can do anything you want more frequently than specified, and you are still following their recommendations.

Back