• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Salvaged/rebuilt title cars TABOO?

I understand how a salvaged/ rebuilt title would draw a red flag to most when purchasing a car but should it be the final deciding factor for a great condition car. I know this topic has come across almost everyone's mind atleast once when finding a good bargain. I just can't give up the fact how let's just say for an example a car has had front bumper damage and the insurance decides to brand it salvaged is that car any worse than one that was wrecked and repaired with out reporting it to the insurance? I want to hear from a few different ppl what they think cause the branded title makes some great cars looked down on because of this. The way I look at things is I buy cars to drive them and enjoy them not to park it up and try to get all my money back what good is just staring at a great machine

I would consider a salvaged/rebuilt titled car for a dd that I planned to drive til the wheels fell off or use it on the track.

As long as it was in good shape, for a great price.

A person would have to realize that purchasing a salvaged/rebuilt titled car would limit what you could ask for it down the road when it came time to sell. Plus it would limit the amount of potential buyers.

As most people if given the choice, would purchase a non-salvaged/rebuilt car in the same condition if the prices where comparable (within a few thousand).

I know when I was looking there were a couple salvaged cars that were with minimal damage, which had been rebuilt to almost original condition. The insurance companies totalled them because of the cost to repair, etc. They were tempting, but they weren't quite at the price I was willing to pay for a salvaged titled car.

I'm sure if one were in good condition for $10k to $15k it would be gone in a flash... somebody would pick it up and have a blast driving the wheels off of it. :smile:

Last edited:
Salvaged title is definitely good for me. Having just bought a 96 with 40,000 miles and a rebuilt Oregon title. I am thrilled with my purchase. I got zero info about the car. Purchased it sight unseen on owners description. I would definitely not recommend this, but I think I lucked out. I was able to do a very quick inspection, owner wasnt going to hold me to it if I didnt want it. First impression, front and rear frame horns were perfect in rear, and the slightest flange damage in front. After removing plastic fender aprons and more inspection, I can find no evidence of serious damage. I had read previously that the NSX totals easily, and was hoping that was the case with this one. Any way I have worked off and on as a body man and painter for 30 years so I know what to look for. If the car has been rolled and or twisted you need a professional repair with proof. Or just pass it up. But if it is light damage, it is no different than any other car being involved in a fender bender, and repaired. 99% of people would never know. Close inspection would reveal it has been repaired, but the title is clean. What I am saying is, if you have a totally bitchin car with zero evidence of serious damage at a bitchin price, who cares what the title says? Just beware of unscrupulous profiteers. They are certainly out there.

No they are not taboo. If the car drives straight and drives good and looks good than I don't know why not. I would never be embarrassed to drive the nsx. And for future sales it doesn't matter. Some primers only believe that their pristine nsx will appreciate. It's not true, if you look at the original m3s or original m5s or even the older porsches do you think the salvage title would put these cars as undesirable? I have personally seen salvage cars in better condition than a clean title.

Yea I read that whole thread post by post Shawn did a great job with the car and well documented his car is better than many of the clean title cars out there. I just hate the fact that a car that was theft recovery for a joy ride or lightly damaged cars with basically nothing wrong are branded forever.

There are so many cars on the streets today that have been wrecked and poorly put back together and sold to unsuspecting customers cause they have a clean record

I see salvage cars as a bargain as long as I get to see the damage before hand and they are properly put back together

Salvage title cars are almost never fully and properly repaired/restored. Why should they? Even when they are repaired, they will always be worth considerably less than a similar year/mileage car with a clean title, so there's no incentive to pay the price to make it as good as a clean title car. Buyer beware!

Exactly my point guys I purchased mine with the same intentions I like to drive the car and if I can get it at a bargain for the rebuilt title then so be it cause I'm not gonna let my car sit collecting dust cause I want the prow to go up

If we were talking about some rare car that like only 500 were built then it would be much more risky to have it out lol but me I bought it to basically get my feet wet and get into the community

Salvage title cars are almost never fully and properly repaired/restored. Why should they? Even when they are repaired, they will always be worth considerably less than a similar year/mileage car with a clean title, so there's no incentive to pay the price to make it as good as a clean title car. Buyer beware!
so would you treat a theft recovery car the same as a frame damage car after inspection all panels and vins matched ? Just a thought cause they are still branded the same

Salvage title cars are almost never fully and properly repaired/restored. Why should they? Even when they are repaired, they will always be worth considerably less than a similar year/mileage car with a clean title, so there's no incentive to pay the price to make it as good as a clean title car. Buyer beware![/QUOTE

Don't forget the nsx was hand built and we are not talking about a Honda civic. I cant understand people like yourself that think cars are made by gods and us immortals can't bring them back.

so would you treat a theft recovery car the same as a frame damage car after inspection all panels and vins matched ? Just a thought cause they are still branded the same
I have yet to hear of anyone buying an NSX with a theft recovery title that had not been significantly damaged at some point prior to the purchase. I've known a few who bought it from sellers who claimed that, but it turned out to be untrue.

Don't forget the nsx was hand built and we are not talking about a Honda civic. I cant understand people like yourself that think cars are made by gods and us immortals can't bring them back.
Don't put words into my mouth and then argue against something I never said. :rolleyes: But it's impressive to hear that we have "immortals" posting here. :biggrin:

An NSX that has been damaged can be properly restored so that it's as good as new. The problem isn't that it can't be done; the problem with a car with a salvage title is that there is a whole lot less financial incentive to spend the money needed to do the repair properly, and it's much more likely that a repair will be done cheaply rather than properly and completely. An NSX is very expensive to repair, which is why they are often totalled by insurance companies who know that the cost of repairing it properly would be more than the car would be worth. (And no, they don't brand a car with a salvage title when it needs a minor repair like bumper damage, so don't kid yourself.) At any given time, you can find damaged NSXs for sale, and you can bet that every seller has already gotten estimates on how much it would cost to repair, and decided he would be better off selling it to some fool who doesn't know anything about NSX repair costs and thinks they can get into a safe, drivable, reliable NSX for way less than the going price for an undamaged car.

Before buying a salvage title car, it would be worth paying an hour or two of labor to have a thorough inspection done by a body shop with NSX experience. They can spot what corners have been cut to make the car roadworthy, and advise you of any problems that may occur as a result of the way the car has been repaired. It's better to find out what you're getting into before buying a car (and possibly getting stuck with a bad situation). If a really good body shop inspects the car and tells you that the car is safe and repairs have been done properly, then by all means consider it if the price is low enough to make up for the title.

Most of the people I know who have bought salvage title cars have discovered problems with them after the sale. Most later regretted spending the money, and then when they tried re-selling found it was difficult to get out of what turned out to be a bad ownership experience. The main exceptions were those who were looking for a car to strip down for the racetrack (as suggested above), and who knew what they were getting into.

If you don't agree, that's fine. Go out and buy an NSX with a salvage title, and fix it up as much or as little as you like. I've seen some pretty crappy cars whose owners are quite satisfied with, and as long as you don't mind living with a bunch of things that aren't exactly right, you might be satisfied too. (And yes, the same thing applies to cars with clean titles; some of those can be pretty crappy, too. Although a salvage title is a red flag that says there's a higher probability of problems due to improper repairs, a clean title is no guarantee of a problem-free car either.)

Last edited:
There will always be the ppl for and against it. if you have the money to buy a pristine condition Nsx I saw go for it they are great cars! but if your limited on funds and still want to enjoy a great car know what your getting yourself into and be prepared to have to spend here and there to correct some problems when you do come across them. If you know what you are looking for I wouldn't let a rebuilt car go by at a good deal

I wouldn't purchase a branded title car no matter how nice it is. NSX or otherwise. Too many unknowns and not enough of a discount to make it worthwhile. Asking prices on salvage title cars are usually in line with higher mile clean title examples.

Wouldn't bother me a bit!

Maybe insurance company's should come up with something in between full totaled cars and something mild like bumper damage etc I know they would lose money probably but some cars are worth fixing

Maybe insurance company's should come up with something in between full totaled cars and something mild like bumper damage etc I know they would lose money probably but some cars are worth fixing

I think that's called a rebuildable title which is also a consideration.

I think that's called a rebuildable title which is also a consideration.
which states are those in? What would the status of a title that was under rebuildable become? I'm not interested. In actually purchasing one I just feel that everytime someone mentions salvaged it's the worst thing in the world

Cars that are worth fixing don't get totalled. Insurance companies simply pay for the repair. No change in title status.

if fixed properly and the price is reflective of the title change why not.

ive seen nice rebuilds as well as a few garbage ones; i really feel that to assess value on rebuilds/salvage it must be determined via case by case basis.

one important thing to consider is that nsx's (esp older ones) get written off easily due to the high cost to repair (dealer pricing) when compared to the actual value of the car itself.

one important thing to consider is that nsx's (esp older ones) get written off easily due to the high cost to repair (dealer pricing) when compared to the actual value of the car itself.

This is actually a very good point

If resale isn't in your future probably go ahead and purchase one. If you're the kind of person who thinks that in 5 yrs you'll likely sell it, you'll have trouble with a "salvage/rebuilt" title getting the most bang for your buck

Knowing how any insurance company would want to save $$$ over designating a car a salvage vehicle is your red flag. The damage MUST be substantial and could lead to other cost and safety issues should concern you. Taboo no, just NOT your smartest choice no matter what savings.
Just my .02.

I gave up tring to tell people

these cars are not a honda accord.

a rear fender is almost 3500 bucks now.

and insurance companies will not get a used part off NSXPrime or Ebay for 500.

it has to be new.

here is an example:

you have a 1995 NSX you get into a small collision
car needs a rear fender, rear lights, spoiler, hours of labor,
paint, alignment,

and BAMMM your car is up to 15K worth of damage

value of car is around 30K

so the damage is worth half the cars value.
they total it then
pay you off 30K
sell at auction for 25K thats what they go for now
they only lost 5K
I think that good biz right there.
but kills another car with a salvage title.
its all about money

they do this cuz what if something else is wrong with the car maybe the frame was bent and shakes at high speeds? you wreck it again,
they fix it for another 15K or more, have to pay for the other car you hit.
they want to wash their hands of it.

do you see?????

pay you off saves they a ton of headache and they up your premium to make up for the 5K they lost

its a sham, but to us car loving guys it breaks your heart to see a simple fix throw under the bus.

I think that sums it up.

Back