• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Samsung 52 inch LCD

One question on calibration. When you calibrate a TV, does it stay that way for all modes? (ie Movie, Standard, Dynamic) or do you lose the calibration when you change modes?

if it is always the same, what if it looks worse in Game Mode for gaming? or in the instance of the PS3, blu ray vs gaming.

Also how does it work with the Auto Motion?

The modes you are reffering to are basically presets for picture settings. Like on an equalizer for example... when you calibrate, you take one of those modes, and adjust the picture so that it is correct in that mode (like standard, or movie, or whatever). If you exit that mode and go back to "dynamic" or something else, then you are back to where you were, an uncalibrated picture. You could of course just put your calibrated settings into all those modes, and they would all be correct.

Am I being clear enough? It is like bass and treble settings. There is only one "correct" setting for the room and associated equipment. Any deviation is no longer correct. The "dynamic, movie, standard", all those modes are just presets. You can adjust those presets to whatever you want to. They come from the factory set to different things, and all are wrong although some are much better than others. Samsung specifically, does a much better job in the movie mode these days than in the past. It is still far from correct, but it is a lot better than dynamic or standard.

Some modes, turn certain extra circuitry on and off as well. So sometimes, we get the best picture only in one mode, because it is only in that mode that other things automatically turn on or off on that particular TV. Generally, the movie or ISF modes turn extra doo-dads (that I mentioned earlier rarely do more good than harm) off.

If the TV is calibrated well, it should always look better regardless of source. It is like an engine that is tuned. The only time that I can see a need to possibly go out of the calibrated settings and go to something else is if there is a lot of ambient light in the room and you need extra brightness. For that, sometimes we have the calibrated settings, and one more that is just slightly brighter. Color levels, grayscale, sharpness, RGB levels, all that is the same pretty much. Once a set is calibrated, there really is no need to change modes anymore.

What you are reffering to as "worse for gaming mode" is really non-existant. If the source equipment is designed properly, to correct standards, you will always get the best picture in your calibrated mode. Sometimes, a certain DVD player or game or whatever will not be correct however. It's signal output is actually improper. So then we will dedicate on of those TV presets to that source, and try to FIX the flaw coming in. If we calibrate for the flawed source, then the other correct sources would be off. So on those rare occasions, we use different settings for different sources. We will have one set of settings for the correct gear, and we will have one set of settings for the flawed gear that tries to fix it as much as possible. This is its simple explanation, not the technical one.

On the PS3, the output is correct. No matter if it is a game or Blu-ray, the calibrated settings work well. Sony is pretty good from my experience in getting things right with their source equipment. Some other much more expensive brands, are not.

Does this explanation make sense? I am trying not to be too wordy.

Oh and on your speakers... I too do not like dipoles on Digital Surround be it DD or DTS. I had a suspicion those were but it was hard to see from the picture. On discrete surround systems which everything is nowadays, you really should use monopoles (standard direct radiating speakers) or bipoles. Dipoles were better for old pro-logic days.

Last edited:
Does this explanation make sense? I am trying not to be too wordy.

Oh and on your speakers... I too do not like dipoles on Digital Surround be it DD or DTS. I had a suspicion those were but it was hard to see from the picture. On discrete surround systems which everything is nowadays, you really should use monopoles (standard direct radiating speakers) or bipoles. Dipoles were better for old pro-logic days.

It all makes perfect sense. Thanks!

I might have to upgrade the surrounds in the future to Paradigms new models. That will be very hard to explain to the wife though! :wink:

Re: SXRD's and Pioneer Elites

Folks, this is the real problem with Video right now, Turbo says he is IN THE BUSINESS and so probably makes these kind of gross exagerations to his clients ( he obviously does not sell P-Elites).

Sorry, I thought I was clear. What I am saying is that calibrated lower-end set will look better than a non-calibrated high-end set. A calibrated mid-level panasonic will look significantly better than an out of the box Pioneer Elite. Total money out of pocket for a 50" Panasonic may be $2300 ($2000 for the set and $300 for calibration) and for an Elite it may be double that. You spent more money, but you did not get the best picture.

By the way Tanto, I do sell Pioneer Elite. I do not make exagerations to my clients who spend 7 figures with me on their systems.. I don't need to. They could care less about what kind of TV I recommend. I have close personal associations with the head guys at the ISF, Joe Kane, Anthony Grimani, and Tom Holman (TH of THX). I have done this for 20 years and have installed many systems for people whose names you would recognize instantly. I am not a salesperson at Best Buy trying to exagerate "because I don't sell Pioneer Elites". I am on the NSX forum talking honestly to my friends.

Last edited:
Samsung's warranty and support are pretty poor. I have a couple dead pixel saround the middle of the screen and a bug trapped inside the screen and was told that the dead pixels are "normal" and the bugs aren't covered under manufacturing defect. Had a rep told me the screen is sealed. Well, how did the bug get inside if the thing is sealed? And doesn't that mean the bug has to be inside to begin with? And doesn't that mean it happened during manufacturing and thus making it a manufacturing defect?

Worthless support.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, I've enjoyed reading it and was hoping someone here might have insight. I bought the Sony KDL 32L4000 720p a few months back, great TV. They advertise it as supporting 1080p through HDMI:
"Video Signal : 480/60i, 480/60p, 720p, 1080/60i, 1080p (HDMI™ only)"
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=KDL32L4000

This wasn't a make it or break it selling point for me, but it sounded good at least. I don't have a BR player to test with, but do have a 1080p upconverting player, and on the screen of the player and my TV it says 1080p when I first start it.

My question is, might I be able to get the same quality picture on this TV with a BR player as on a tv that is labeled 1080p (not just "1080p through HDMI" on the specs sheet like with this tv)? I figure if it was the case, this tv would be sold as 1080p and not 720p...?

Sorry to bump such an old thread, I've enjoyed reading it and was hoping someone here might have insight. I bought the Sony KDL 32L4000 720p a few months back, great TV. They advertise it as supporting 1080p through HDMI:
"Video Signal : 480/60i, 480/60p, 720p, 1080/60i, 1080p (HDMI™ only)"
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=KDL32L4000

This wasn't a make it or break it selling point for me, but it sounded good at least. I don't have a BR player to test with, but do have a 1080p upconverting player, and on the screen of the player and my TV it says 1080p when I first start it.

My question is, might I be able to get the same quality picture on this TV with a BR player as on a tv that is labeled 1080p (not just "1080p through HDMI" on the specs sheet like with this tv)? I figure if it was the case, this tv would be sold as 1080p and not 720p...?

Well you will only be able to get 720p/i with an RGB cable but HDMI allows you to use the full resolution of the TV - that is of course if the source is putting out 1080p like a ps3 or other HD signal... Im sure Dave can chime in here :)

I dont see how this TV can do 1080p if the max res is:

Display

* Dynamic Contrast Ratio : 1366 x 768p (HD)

You want 1920x1080 :D

Last edited:
Well you will only be able to get 720p/i with an RGB cable but HDMI allows you to use the full resolution of the TV - that is of course if the source is putting out 1080p like a ps3 or other HD signal... Im sure Dave can chime in here :)

I dont see how this TV can do 1080p if the max res is:

Display

* Dynamic Contrast Ratio : 1366 x 768p (HD)

You want 1920x1080 :D

Thanks, forgot about the resolution. I suppose on that point, it can't be considered true 1080p. I do use HDMI, and am quite surprised by the quality of the picture from a 1080p upconvertor. I don't have any experience with BR so I guess I don't really know what I'm missing. This will do for now though until prices come down more.

I just realized a couple weeks ago my TV could do 1080p over component. Now I am using the xbox360 at 1080p. Looks sweet, but I think the PS3 looks better at 1080p over HDMI.

Snake, your TV is downconverting 1080 signals so it can display them. As you can see the TV is actually 768 lines, and nothing outputs a native 768. So the processor has to convert everything that comes in anyway. Be it 720, 480 or 1080. You have a 32" set, at any distance its going to be very hard to see the extra resolution difference. Going 1080 would be a waste of money on that small a set. You really need to be at 50" MINIMUM to see any sort of difference, and the further you sit back the less resolution matters. I sell a 720 projector that costs over $150,000. "1080" really doesn't mean much.

grand-slam...

I thought I hit a home-run a few weeks ago w/ my Samsung 52" 1080p 120Hz LCD (LN52A750)...

But, I had been in great anticipation since June/July for the Samsung Series 9 (LED back-lit LCD)!

I finally saw this bad-boy in-person the other day: Samsung Series 9 LED LCD HDTV... (more: Samsung LN46A950 @egadgethd.com).

Offered in 46" & 55" sizes, seems like it'll fit 2 market niches' rather well.

The picture-quality was absurd. As-in, too good. I can't even describe it, so I'll leave the hyperbole & buzz-words out and let everyone actually see it in person.

Though, the blu-ray movie being displayed looked almost overly-animated, skittish, and goofy. I'm assuming it's something to do w/ 120Hz, as that's what the product-spokesman alluded to. Meaning, I didn't like that aspect of the set. Plausibly, 60Hz setting would be better for movies(IMHO), as opposed to gaming...(?!?)

The Samsung Series 8 seems like the forgotten missing-link, sorta like the neanderthal man killed-off by a divergent, yet emerging rival power of similar lineage...

Somewhat pricey, the Series 9's 55" size suits me quite well (size/spec's wise). Curious to see the incremental price-drops, as the year goes on! :D

Last edited:
Re: grand-slam...

I thought I hit a home-run a few weeks ago w/ my Samsung 52" 1080p 120Hz LCD (LN52A750)...

But, I had been in great anticipation since June/July for the Samsung Series 9 (LED back-lit LCD)!

I finally saw this bad-boy in-person the other day: Samsung Series 9 LED LCD HDTV... (more: Samsung LN46A950 @egadgethd.com).

Offered in 46" & 55" sizes, seems like it'll fit 2 market niches' rather well.

The picture-quality was absurd. As-in, too good. I can't even describe it, so I'll leave the hyperbole & buzz-words out and let everyone actually see it in person.

Though, the blu-ray movie being displayed looked almost overly-animated, skittish, and goofy. I'm assuming it's something to do w/ 120Hz, as that's what the product-spokesman alluded to. Meaning, I didn't like that aspect of the set. Plausibly, 60Hz setting would be better for movies(IMHO), as opposed to gaming...(?!?)

The Samsung Series 8 seems like the forgotten missing-link, sorta like the neanderthal man killed-off by a divergent, yet emerging rival power of similar lineage...

Somewhat pricey, the Series 9's 55" size suits me quite well (size/spec's wise). Curious to see the incremental price-drops, as the year goes on! :D

What you saw was the automotion. The 750 should have automotion also. The only huge difference between the two TV's is the 9 series used LED Local Dimming to make the black levels much darker than the 7 series is able to do. Samsung had an LED out last year (81), but I was told there was a lot of problems with the LED's. Hopefully they have fixed it for this year. Sony is also coming out with the Same TV called the XBR8 I think.

Most videophiles say the edge still goes to the Pioneer Plamsma's over the LED rear-lit TV's. Pricing wise I think the Plasma are a better deal, but you don't get the automotion. I like the automotion on mine.

Last edited:
hopefully it isn't just AMP...

What you saw was the automotion. The 750 should have automotion also. The only huge difference between the two TV's is the 9 series used LED Local Dimming to make the black levels much darker than the 7 series is able to do. Samsung had an LED out last year (81), but I was told there was a lot of problems with the LED's. Hopefully they have fixed it for this year. Sony is also coming out with the Same TV called the XBR8 I think.

Most videophiles say the edge still goes to the Pioneer Plamsma's over the LED rear-lit TV's. Pricing wise I think the Plasma are a better deal, but you don't get the automotion. I like the automotion on mine.
I know about "automotion." If indeed the phenomenon that observed w/ Blu-ray on the Series 9 is due to AutomotionPlus (AMP), then it is much more pronounced on it than on my Series 7 while viewing Blu-ray. Almost to the point that it was cartoonish and hilarious, as-per even the Samsung rep', product-distributors and other observing parties. It was as if it was a John Woo movie was playing in semi fast-forward in certain instances (ie. w/ the slow-mo', pan-in/pan-out, freeze-frame, then continuation of motion... but, all w/o hiccup). No one seemed to fancy the phenomenon at all whatsoever. To be quite honest, it made the movie unbearable. Nothing fluid about the rapid movement. Quite unnatural looking & overly surreal looking (Anime!). Sure, the blurring-effect is non-existent as of now. But, the momentary, split-second speed-up of a scene was just, ugh... :vomiting:

Perhaps, it's something I/we will get used to...(?) I need to check & see if my firm-ware is up to date. If it isn't, I might keep it that way as I don't want what I saw @ the product open-house/display session!

I really hope to assume we are speaking of different things, as you stated you like it... :D

Oh yea... no doubt high-end Plasma's have the edge over LED, but it comes down to overall package/preference(s), and for myself, LED was the clear-choice for my needs/requirements.

Last edited:
Re: hopefully it isn't just AMP...

I know about "automotion." If indeed the phenomenon that observed w/ Blu-ray on the Series 9 is due to AutomotionPlus (AMP), then it is much more pronounced on it than on my Series 7 while viewing Blu-ray. Almost to the point that it was cartoonish and hilarious, as-per even the Samsung rep', product-distributors and other observing parties. It was as if it was a John Woo movie was playing in semi fast-forward in certain instances (ie. w/ the slow-mo', pan-in/pan-out, freeze-frame, then continuation of motion... but, all w/o hiccup). No one seemed to fancy the phenomenon at all whatsoever. To be quite honest, it made the movie unbearable. Nothing fluid about the rapid movement. Quite unnatural looking & overly surreal looking (Anime!). Sure, the blurring-effect is non-existent as of now. But, the momentary, split-second speed-up of a scene was just, ugh... :vomiting:

Perhaps, it's something I/we will get used to...(?) I need to check & see if my firm-ware is up to date. If it isn't, I might keep it that way as I don't want what I saw @ the product open-house/display session!

I really hope to assume we are speaking of different things, as you stated you like it... :D

Oh yea... no doubt high-end Plasma's have the edge over LED, but it comes down to overall package/preference(s), and for myself, LED was the clear-choice for my needs/requirements.

Let me clarify that I like automotion, but I have it on LOW. Med and High tend to create too many artifacts and starts looking very goofy like you mentioned you saw on the series 9. Maybe they have improved the technology to get rid of more artifacts. I haven't seen it yet myself. I personally think they need a much more powerful processor in these TV's to handle it well. I read about a TV that used the CELL processors from the PS3. That might be interesting.

The prices on the 81 series for the 57 inch were STUPID. $8000! I find it interesting they are only going to 55 now. Here is a link to the new SONY: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665532062

Here is the first 240Hz TV. I have no idea what advantage that makes: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665532061

Sharp has a new LCD that is 65" with 120Hz, but I am not sure it has the automotion.

I am surprised nobody has come out with a stand alone unit to add automotion to TV's that done have it... ie Plasma.

Last edited:
Back