• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sanity Check, Please

Having sold my '91 Black/Ivory for all the right reasons in May '10, I am now looking at a one owner, '94 Brooklands Green/Tan with an automatic. I am hoping that the AT will help me to keep my license and accomodate my advancing age. With under 60K miles and an asking price of $30, I am feeling pretty good about the car. I would enjoy hearing your many and varied thoughts on the subject of the AT and the price.
Thanks.
Michael

Last edited:
Sorry about leaving out the '94 in the original posting as the year.

The AT, I am hoping, will keep this 60 year old from driving like I am in a race car, a habit that my 5 speed seemed to encourage. Also, I live in a congetsted area with lots of stop and go traffic to get to the open road, hence the AT making driving easier. Still, the AT is not the way I was taught to drive a sports car.

I drove an AT 95 once and it felt food, yes i didn't get to change gears but the feel of the car was similar. If you are deciding betwen AT car or no car then go with the first option!

The AT, I am hoping, will keep this 60 year old from driving like I am in a race car, a habit that my 5 speed seemed to encourage. Also, I live in a congetsted area with lots of stop and go traffic to get to the open road, hence the AT making driving easier. Still, the AT is not the way I was taught to drive a sports car.
An AT can still be up/down shifted to keep the engine revs higher and give you that race feeling. Certainly a difference from a 5 speed. I up/down shift in my Grand National when I want to step on it. So I'm not sure in the end an AT will curtail you "race" moments. As for driving in congested traffic, AT is just easier on the clutch, legs and pain of frequent gear and clutch engagement.

In the end, you have to ask will I miss the 5 speed and an AT is just not the same driving experience. That may be a show stopper. The car you describe certainly appears to be a great find on the surface, and, if you go AT that may be the one. Good luck in your decision.....siD

Driving experience is one of the main reasons I own an NSX. I suppose it would be fine as long as you enjoy driving it. An AT NSX looks just as good as the MT ones.

You will still be in as close to a race car as unmodified street machines go. The car will still beg you to drive it faster than most other cars would. You might find yourself going faster top speeds in daily driving because the lack of shifting will make it seem not as fast, but it will be. I'm 57 and this car is trouble for me too, but it's what I was always looking for in my younger years. I'm going to hate losing my passion for driving (I know the day will come if I live long enough) so I intend to enjoy every minute I have left, feeling it. This car makes me feel it every time I drive it. Thank You Honda!

Having sold my '91 Black/Ivory for all the right reasons in May '10, I am now looking at a one owner, '94 Brooklands Green/Tan with an automatic. I am hoping that the AT will help me to keep my license and accomodate my advancing age. With under 60K miles and an asking price of $30, I am feeling pretty good about the car. I would enjoy hearing your many and varied thoughts on the subject of the AT and the price.
Thanks.
Michael

Michael, Sounds like a nice NSX and priced right if well-maintained. I'm sure you are all over that...(maintenance and history of it). With the traffic congestion you describe, plus the notorious VA State Police (no radar detectors, ridiculous 20 + mph over speed limit = reckless driving with six points on driver license, omnipresent traffic cops, etc), an auto might make perfect sense!

An AT can still be up/down shifted to keep the engine revs higher and give you that race feeling. Certainly a difference from a 5 speed. I up/down shift in my Grand National when I want to step on it. So I'm not sure in the end an AT will curtail you "race" moments. As for driving in congested traffic, AT is just easier on the clutch, legs and pain of frequent gear and clutch engagement.

In the end, you have to ask will I miss the 5 speed and an AT is just not the same driving experience. That may be a show stopper. The car you describe certainly appears to be a great find on the surface, and, if you go AT that may be the one. Good luck in your decision.....siD

Sid I remembered something about the shiftable auto being intro'd in mid-90's auto NSX's. Wiki says no shiftable auto until 1995 model year NSX.

Driving experience is one of the main reasons I own an NSX. I suppose it would be fine as long as you enjoy driving it. An AT NSX looks just as good as the MT ones.

For sure. No one can tell it's an auto unless they look in to interior, or note that the driver is "holding on the brake" at stop(s).

So since you asked Mr. Grybrd, and we own both an auto and a six speed, my opinion is if it's not a shiftable auto, that would be a deal-breaker for me. Maybe that is not an issue to you and if not, GO for it :smile:

Best to you in whatever decision you make.

Thanks for the feedback. It is a tough decision: to wait for a Brooklands Green/Tan MT car with trouble (perhaps) written all over it or make a (minor) concession and go the AT route. I loved (hated) the comment about the excitement of driving the MT car being the connection to (my long lost?) youth and it bites with both edges of the sword.
I do, of course, have to acknowledge that a headline of, "Local Teacher Busted for doing 100 MPH in 35 zone," would be a real bummer and could happen in either variety, but I think less likely in the AT. This car is a pre-"shift-able" AT, meaning that it can be done but, as I recall, is not wholly recommended.
Anyway, all comments read and appreciated as I ponder this decision. My brother-in-law is to scope out this out-of-state beauty on Tuesday, the CarFax in hand says the one-owner and clean story I have is the truth, and financing is almost in place. :rolleyes:

Hello Michael.

I bought your Black/Ivory NSX in May of 2010. Drove it home from Virginia to Winnipeg, Manitoba. Then down to Las Vegas NSXpo that same year. I have put over 11K miles on it in the 2 years I have owned it, and I have not had a single problem. I have up graded the wheels to 7 spokers from '95. Done the 2002+ rear tail light upgrade, swapped out the Acura badges front and rear with JDM Honda ones. Lowered the car with Bilsteins on lower perch with OEM springs. I am looking at getting the 2002+ rear diffuser at some point. I have all the hoses for the complete coolant hose replacement, but haven't installed those yet. I get tons of looks and comments when ever I drive it. It is a regular on the weekend car show circuit here in the summer. It is a blast to drive and I am enjoying every minute of ownership.

It would be nice to see you back in an NSX. Hope your search goes well, and hopefully we can reunite for a meeting at an NSXpo at some point. I still remember the test drive we took when I showed up at your door to purchase the car. An automatic might be a good idea :)

We have had 2 auto NSXs within the family, a fully automatic and one with the speed shift. Though one of them had been long sold, I've spent enough quality times with both and I can honestly tell you this: an auto NSX won't tame you down by more than 20%.

I can foresee "Local Teacher Busted for doing 80 MPH in 35 zone." :biggrin:

I would think that having any type of NSX is better than NOT having one.

Life is short...enjoy it to the fullest! :smile:

Good Luck!

I would say if you are going to get an auto, get the shiftable one at least. F-matic?

I think they install that manual shift option on automatics just so the owners don't become suicidal and kill themselves from boredom.

I've always been more cognizant of my speed when driving an MT rather than an auto. An MT is more engaging and it is (usually) more readily apparent what gear you're in and your speed; it just "feels" as though you're more connected.

At least that's how it is for me.

I am so enjoying all of the various insights being provided. It seems the best answer is just to buy two, one of each...'ceptin' for the money part. It was especially gratifying to hear from the owner of my old car and learn that he is enjoying it.
Tomorrow is when I get the eyes on review of the out of state AT '94 that is getting a strong consideration. Here's hoping.

I feel his pain at 53 being responsible is more important than it once was, when 80 in 2nd comes very fast with a few mods prudence must prevail. Wife does not even want to go out in the car with RPS clutch and loud exhuast. IHE and Bistiens do not help the cause, much less NOS. Maybe AT is a good answer.

Last edited:
Tomorrow is when I get the eyes on review of the out of state AT '94 that is getting a strong consideration. Here's hoping.
Hope it goes well, but if that green/tan doesn't work out there is a white/tan auto that has been for sale for a decent while now in what I consider to be a rather attractive color combo - white/tan.

Perhaps you have already run across it, but I figured I would just be sure especially since it isn't that far away in Westchester PA: http://www.skymotorcars.com/web/used/Acura-NSX-T-1997-West-Chester-Pennsylvania/885449/ (they used to have a 95 red/black that I was considering)

pg_640.jpg

Last edited:
IHE and Bistiens do not help the cause, much less NOS. Maybe AT is a good answer.

Yeah there you go, an automatic.... I Wouldn't want to remove the Nitrous... :biggrin:

You need to buy a commuter car,

part of the fun of owning a sports-car is the feeling of a manual tranny, and in my opinion an automatic just doesn't cut it.

When i look at the Ferrari forums, even the new Ferrari 458 with its paddle shifting, lots of guys are upset about how removed they are from the sports-car feel, very hard to change our paradigm of sports car=manual hand shifting. You probably will not be happy with the automatic...

Michael get what makes you happy and don't worry about our collective opinions (despite your having asked -- LOL)! As you know, there is something very sweet about the NSX manual gearbox and although sometimes the manual is a bit of a pain in traffic its my preference. Not sure that the automatic is going to make it any less likely that you will pick up a speeding ticket or two. The funny thing is that in 2 years of NSX ownership (/94 Formula Red 5 speed), I've never been stopped in the NSX. I did however get a speeding ticket in my wife's Volvo. Go figure! Best of luck.

Jeff

I feel his pain at 53 being responsible is more important than it once was, when 80 in 2nd comes very fast with a few mods prudence must prevail. Wife does not even want to go out in the car with RPS clutch and loud exhuast. IHE and Bistiens do not help the cause, much less NOS. Maybe AT is a good answer.

Vero it sounds to me like you are just fine. Couple of chiropractic visits and some nice massages by husband and all will be forgiven. :biggrin:

Hope it goes well, but if that green/tan doesn't work out there is a white/tan auto that has been for sale for a decent while now in what I consider to be a rather attractive color combo - white/tan.

Perhaps you have already run across it, but I figured I would just be sure especially since it isn't that far away in Westchester PA: http://www.skymotorcars.com/web/used/Acura-NSX-T-1997-West-Chester-Pennsylvania/885449/ (they used to have a 95 red/black that I was considering)

pg_640.jpg

Yea, that white auto has been for sale for a loooooong time.

Yeah there you go, an automatic.... I Wouldn't want to remove the Nitrous... :biggrin:

So your point is? :tongue:

You need to buy a commuter car,

part of the fun of owning a sports-car is the feeling of a manual tranny, and in my opinion an automatic just doesn't cut it.

When i look at the Ferrari forums, even the new Ferrari 458 with its paddle shifting, lots of guys are upset about how removed they are from the sports-car feel, very hard to change our paradigm of sports car=manual hand shifting. You probably will not be happy with the automatic...

Respectfully disagree, but the decision rests with grybrd.

pg_640.jpg

I have been looking long enough to have seen this little beauty. There is a chance, of course, but this one-owner, under 60K miles, '94, Brooklands Green/Tan is like falling in love all over again...maybe. Also, the '94 is a coupe like my old (sniffle, sniffle) '91. I am eagerly awaiting a report on the car this evening and that will tell a lot, but thanks for reminding me of this one. I think just to be safe, I'll make contact on this car, today.
Hey, Jack, I need to get behind the wheel of your T again so I can see if a T might be in my future. Give a call.
Michael

Hey Bud,

Listen - that white 97 tan is the one - all things being equal that is. They may not be. When a car sits around a long time like the white one it makes you wonder what issues it may have - like accident history - don't know but I'd surely check. If it has low miles like the green one and some history and here again - little dealers rarely have history - then if the price is similar and most likely not - then I'd opt for the later model. Same engine but if your going to be crusin - then you may want the targa! I love the tan interiors - just me - many don't but I think a white car with tan is nice and the green only comes that way I think.

The tempting thing is a one owner full history 94 - automatic is just the way this particular one comes - if it has all the maintenance up to speed and you really like it - then it may suite you and satisfy. I do remember the guy on Prime that took his automatic to the track and burnt it up - the tranny that is- over two days of hard driving and it shifted I believe -auto shift on the steering wheel I mean. That's something that may concern you - maybe not - depends on if you ever want to track the car. I would say if you do - then get a manual. The ticket thing - unless you got a bunch with your 91 then why worry about it? Just be careful - that's no reason to go automatic unless you need for some other reason.

Good luck on this - tough decisions - one owner cars aren't growing on trees. That in itself is mighty tempting.

Back