• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Scary Stall/Slow starts

How many of you guys with older NSXs sometimes have a slow start. Sometimes it takes a while to start. Usually after she sits for a while (like overnight) the NSX starts very strong. But there are times when she starts slowly. It is very disconcerting. This morning, however, the NSX started strong but then sounded as if she was going to stall. Also lately for the past couple weeks, when I start the NSX after she has been sitting cold for a while there is a rattling sound from an unknown source lasting about 10-15 sec. and then it goes away. Has anyone experienced similar problems and/or have solutions to help me.

Thanks

Kev, it might be the anti-lock pump causing your noise..... Check the air/fuel mixture for reasons for a cold start.... may be running very rich... leaving unburned fuel in cylinders causing a 'flooded' effect on cold starts.... and stop referring your car as a 'she' ..
biggrin.gif
And to anyone else reading this post, stop calling the NSX an X. Argh, had to vent that!!!
smile.gif

------------------
Todd Arnold
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

On the note about the antilock whirling or the 10-15sec sound that was referred to, when is this normal to hear? I get it sometimes frequently after I really get on the brakes.

I noticed the sound right after i crank my car .... it lasts for about 15-30 at most... I even got out and popped the hood, to see if it was the cooling fan hitting something, but the fan was off... and i felt right below the brake fluid resevoir, and what looked like a pump was making a sound as if someone took out all the lubrication of this 'pump' or it sounds like someone sticking a metal (i guess its for the ABS?)

Am i going to have to replace this ABS pump?

Ken is right, it is normal, however, I don't think it is normal to happen every time you start. Your ABS solenoids may be sticky, or there is air in your ABS system. You should consider a bleed (which can be done with out the special tool if you are careful). See www.scienceofspeed.com, and click on 'DIYs'.

On the starting problem, it could be many things. Start with items that would leave your car running rich.. the basics would be air filter and spark plugs...

-- Chris

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

Well i'm sure a sound here and there is nothing to worry about, but its loud enough to make people look at me as i'm driving by... it sounds like putting a wrench in a metal bladed fan...

Originally posted by Electro:
Well i'm sure a sound here and there is nothing to worry about, but its loud enough to make people look at me as i'm driving by... it sounds like putting a wrench in a metal bladed fan...

Yes, that is how the ABS pump normally sounds. It is annoying but normal.

But Chris is correct, it should not do it all the time unless you are activating ABS all the time.

Just to clarify - it's normal for the ABS pump to make this noise EVERY TIME the car is started, but it should stop making the noise after the car has been running for about 30 seconds. If it continues after that (which it would have to do to enable you to be driving by people) then it is NOT normal.

Thanx for the input guys. I will check the air filter and the spark plugs. But, I my car had the 60K service done in Sept. Doesn't that include a change of the filter and the spark plugs?

Hey Todd I gotta call the "X" as other people call the NSX a "she" because "she" is so beautiful.

I will check the air filter and the spark plugs. But, I my car had the 60K service done in Sept. Doesn't that include a change of the filter and the spark plugs?

Yes. It should, anyway; you may want to double-check the receipt, just to be sure.

When I first purchase my used '91 the ABS pump ran after every start and intermitantly while I drove. I took it to the dealer and had the entire brake system flushed and the pump "exercised?" and after the pump only ran and still does only run ocassionally and now when it does pump it's only after a start. Good Luck!

That's right. When you activate the ABS (for example, by braking hard on a slick surface) you can often hear the ABS pump activate, same noise as at startup. It should shut off again after a few seconds, though.

Incidentally, don't forget that you ought to exercise the ABS this way once in a while (say, once in a month) to prevent the solenoids from sticking.

Back