• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Science of Speed motor mounts

I'm looking to replace my motor mounts but i'm not sure if i should stay OEM or go with the much cheaper SOS alternative. I've searched but haven't seen any real reviews of the SOS mounts. Was hoping you guys could help me out with the pros and cons if i were to go with those mounts.

Hi Diddy- Great question. I put in the set of 4 SOS mounts a few years ago and ended up taking them out before the car even left the shop. The increase in vibration was quite significant over my original OEM mounts. Luckily, SOS was nice enough to take them back with only a minor administrative fee.

I am not sure why you are looking to replace your mounts, but be sure to pay attention to the note in the product description "Please note that a small increase in vibration may be felt in the cabin, especially if all four mounts are replaced." Looking back, to me this means that these mounts are aimed at performance applications; highly modified engines and/or tracked cars looking to eke out a little more chassis stability, and I am not either of those, although you may be.

Hey Mr. Fuji - Did you end up replacing the OEM mounts and if so where did you get the OEM replacements? My OEM mounts may need to be replaced and I am interested in saving over the cost of the OEMs.

Hi Diddy- Great question. I put in the set of 4 SOS mounts a few years ago and ended up taking them out before the car even left the shop. The increase in vibration was quite significant over my original OEM mounts. Luckily, SOS was nice enough to take them back with only a minor administrative fee.

I am not sure why you are looking to replace your mounts, but be sure to pay attention to the note in the product description "Please note that a small increase in vibration may be felt in the cabin, especially if all four mounts are replaced." Looking back, to me this means that these mounts are aimed at performance applications; highly modified engines and/or tracked cars looking to eke out a little more chassis stability, and I am not either of those, although you may be.

Hey thanks for info. I've heard about the vibration issue from someone else in the past but wasn't sure if that was just an isolated incident. I'll be sticking with OEM.

Hey Mr. Fuji - Did you end up replacing the OEM mounts and if so where did you get the OEM replacements? My OEM mounts may need to be replaced and I am interested in saving over the cost of the OEMs.

go through acura of agusta. i got quoted around $230-$240 for each mount versus over $300 msrp.

Last edited:

I guess I never finished the story: I never ended up replacing the mounts, as it was a "nice to have" item. I filed the whole experience in the "should have asked more questions" column; including shipping, and the labour for installing & uninstalling the mounts, which was not free.

If you are looking for OEM parts, Acura of Augusta and Peoria are favourites on Prime- I have used both with success. Up here in Canada OEM parts are typically 20-40% more expensive from mother Honda, so non-Honda sellers are our friend...this is different than the US.

Also Dali may be worth getting a quote from (yes, I know Dali's reputation), as their prices are competitive for common items. Apparently there is some new blood on board and Dali seems to be turning over a new "customers first" leaf. See the "Buyer/Seller Experiences" section for more details.

Personally I've had great success with Dali in the past, and Mark himself once helped me out of a time-sensitive jam by sending a part to me unpaid and at a great discount. That said, I know many others have been burned by Dali. As for the new attitude, I think most are taking a wait-and-see approach for now.

Fuji

I've replaced (I'm 99% sure of this) the front and rear engine mounts with SOS since one busted and the other one is known or about to be busted after 125k~ miles.

It makes the car feel more responsive in chassis feel, power being delivered, etc. but the vibration and road noise didn't increase that much for me.

I would do it again and with a mixed format where the other engine mounts are left OEM to help keep that "balance" of a road car with some track-like manners.

Thank you all for the references. I ordered four OEM motor mounts from Peoria Acura at what appears to be a fair price. Mark gave me a comparable quote but I found the Peoria website easier to use. They had all the parts listed with a complete diagram of each part. Mark only listed one mount but provided me a quote for all four. I should also say that Greg at Pohanka Acura gave me a comparable quote for the parts. Now I am undecided about where to have them installed. Mike Urick at Pohanka Acura has done superior work on my NSX in the past and recommended that the mounts be changed to reduce the vibration at idle but the quote I got for the installation is somewhat higher than a shop in Culpepper VA (an hours drive for me) recommeded by a nearby NSXPRIME member.

Thank you all for the references. I ordered four OEM motor mounts from Peoria Acura at what appears to be a fair price. Mark gave me a comparable quote but I found the Peoria website easier to use. They had all the parts listed with a complete diagram of each part. Mark only listed one mount but provided me a quote for all four. I should also say that Greg at Pohanka Acura gave me a comparable quote for the parts. Now I am undecided about where to have them installed. Mike Urick at Pohanka Acura has done superior work on my NSX in the past and recommended that the mounts be changed to reduce the vibration at idle but the quote I got for the installation is somewhat higher than a shop in Culpepper VA (an hours drive for me) recommeded by a nearby NSXPRIME member.

Why not just send them to tiDave and have them rebuilt at a fraction of the cost... I basically just bought 4 used mounts and send them out... If I knew tidave at the time I would have just sent them there but I have SOS mounts and has not been bad

Thank you for your suggestion. How do I contact tiDave? The problem with this approach is that I would have to remove them myself ofrhave the shop wait for the rebuilds which I doubt the dealer service would be willing to do. Maybe the shop might?

I personally replaced my OEM mounts with the SOS ones and am very satisfied with the SOS ones. I ran my engine for almost a year on them at 612whp and recently had to drop my engine out of the car to get at my tranny and the SOS mounts looked still great. I didn't feel or hear any increase in vibrations.

Thanks for the reply and the information. One report here claims significant significant increase in vibration with the SOS mounts and that is what I want to stop so I am leaning towards the OEM mounts for now. .

Back