• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Science of Speed or CT Engineering

I would do the CT Engineering SC. I'm just too old and too busy to deal with illegal smog checks and the sort.

- - - Updated - - -

CARB Legal FTW

+1 on this.

For a street setup you can not beat the CT supercharger. We are currently setting up a 97 nsx with Ct kit but we upgraded the blower to 2.3l Whipple. This setup on built engine is good for 550whp. The stock engine we have found that the 400whp mark is very safe and reliable for street car on pump gas. Turbo chargers are also fantastic as they will be able to produce higher hp. We have made 1000whp with twin turbos on a nsx. The power making capabilities are definitely there with the nsx power plant. It is all what you want and how many cubic dollars you wan to put into the car. If you are looking to keep the motor stock for now my vote would be for the ct supercharger with the 2.3l blower that we offer. The car will make right at 400whp on 91 octane at around 7.5psi to 8psi. I would be happy to discuss your different power options that you have and put together a good game plan on how to achieve them.
Mike@AutoWave

For a street setup you can not beat the CT supercharger. We are currently setting up a 97 nsx with Ct kit but we upgraded the blower to 2.3l Whipple.

Can you do this while keeping the CARB-legal aspects of the kit intact on OBD2 cars? I.e. does the FMU+RRFPR approach work with the bigger blower? Or would you use an AEM FIC? I know we have talked on the phone about how your system that uses an AEM EMS alongside the OEM ECU does *not* retain the CARB-mandated signals on the OBD2 port.

Can you do this while keeping the CARB-legal aspects of the kit intact on OBD2 cars? I.e. does the FMU+RRFPR approach work with the bigger blower? Or would you use an AEM FIC? I know we have talked on the phone about how your system that uses an AEM EMS alongside the OEM ECU does *not* retain the CARB-mandated signals on the OBD2 port.

you will loose carb certification in doing the bigger blower. The stock CT fueling strategy will not support the airflow that the 2.3l blower will put through the engine. Aftermarket engine management would be necessary. What is nice about the 2.3l blower kit is that it visually looks almost identical to the stock carb CTSC kit

Seems most people use it for cooling, and not so much for additional power, but I think you certainly could. Best off asking your tuner about that one. I was suggesting it would free up pounds of boost lost to a restrictive intercooler.

Just to clarify, water acts as the main cooling agent when talking about this type of injection, not methanol. The main purpose of methanol is to act as an octane booster, so effectively you'll be running the equivalent of race gas which helps prevent against detonation issues. In turn, you can then tune the car with more aggressive ignition timing to extract more power from the engine. Water has a higher specific heat capacity so it can absorb more heat as it evaporates.

It is true that an intercooler robs you of 1-2lbs of boost depending on how efficient the piping layout and heat exchanger are, but I personally would never run water/meth injection as the sole means of cooling the intake charge. There are far too many issues that could go wrong (i.e. pump failure, clogged nozzle, etc) compared to an ATA or WTA intercooler setup. I know there are failsafes you can install which will retard timing in the event of something going wrong, but I still prefer a mechanical intercooler to chemical one.

I ran both an intercooler and water/meth injection on my last car (supercharged TSX) and while I made alot more power running both in tandem, I won't run water/meth on my next boosted car. The little things started to get annoying, as was having it tuned. It ran great at WOT, but part throttle was hit or miss.

Last edited:
OP, there is nothing as headache free as the basic CTSC kit. Bolt it on and you're done. As soon as you want to go the next step you are not fully legal in all states, you need a fuel pump, injectors, engine management, tuning... if you go intercooler for the higher heats you're producing then you need water lines, a heat exchanger, a liquid pump, and the intercooler itself. You have to choose.... headache free bolt-on and be satisfied with around 330-360 HP, or take that next step and spend many thousands more and create a more complex system but get into the 400-450 HP range.

Back