• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed NSX-R Engine Cover for Targa NSX

We now have an installation kit for installing the NSX-R engine cover on targa NSX:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/...oducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/NSX-R_engine_cover/

The cover is a direct replica from a genuine NSX-R engine cover (now discontinued). The factory NSX-R cover was replicated down the smallest detail. The cover, with its internal strengthening frame was reproduced using a factory NSX-R cover. This allows the cover to be lightweight, yet rigid. The frame is made with a carbon fiber base, and is available with a black satin painted FRP or gloss tinted clear coated carbon fiber shell.

carbon_targa_800.jpg

carbon2_targa_800.jpg

NSXR_cover_800.jpg

Anyone know if this will fit over my CT supercharger and the replacement targa brace that goes with it?

I'm really surprised to hear this - the adhesive used a very high temperature rated material. Please get in contact with us, and we'll get it taken care of for you!

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone know if this will fit over my CT supercharger and the replacement targa brace that goes with it?

Yes, this clears CT and ScienceofSpeed supercharger systems with the targa brace. It will not clear if an intercooler is used (which raises the supercharger well above he height of the engine bay.

- - - Updated - - -

The screen is metal mesh and black powdercoated, it will not warp from sun.

Mine was installed yesterday, so here's some pics and my thoughts on the product.

The good - the cover looks very nice and appears to my untrained eye to be well made. It's very light and arrived well packed. After some homebrew fixing (see The Bad below) it looks great on the car and fits well.

The bad - in my opinion the installation kit is incomplete in an important way. The cover is hinged at the front and smooth at the back. It lowers down and comes to rest on whatever it hits first. On my car, that's the rubber bumper right in front of the hatch latch receiver. That means the cover is balanced across its entire half-moon curve by that single point and to make it worse, that point is off-center. The cover sits cockeyed, higher on the driver side, lower on the passenger side. I could see it in my rear-view mirror and it drove me nuts in about 3.2 seconds.

Bottom line, there needs to be more than one support and it needs to symmetrically support the cover. I dug around in the garage and found a couple 1" plastic spacers that I affixed with 3M tape and all is much, much better now. There's gotta be a nice rubber bumper that could be attached to the underside of the cover that does the same thing. This isn't a cheap cover, something like that absolutely should come with the kit.

That said, it now rides and looks terrific and I'm happy with what I've got (although I will search for a better bumper than the plastic spacers). Here's a few pics.

DSC_5093.jpg

You can see one of the spacers in the pic below @ about 5 o'clock. The other is silhouetted @ about 10 o'clock.
DSC_5091.jpg

The spacers raise the cover enough that it sits about 1/4" above the rubber stop it originally rested on. When the glass goes down everything gets lightly compressed and the cover is held down at least some. I can feel a light difference in the amount of pressure it takes to latch the glass. I don't think I'm pressuring the cover to an extent that could damage it, but I'll be keeping an eye on that.
DSC_5097.jpg

My conclusion - I'm happy to have it even while I do think the targa installation kit could be better for that price.

Last edited:
Mine was installed yesterday, so here's some pics and my thoughts on the product.

The good - the cover looks very nice and appears to my untrained eye to be well made. It's very light and arrived well packed. After some homebrew fixing (see The Bad below) it looks great on the car and fits well.

The bad - in my opinion the installation kit is incomplete in an important way. The cover is hinged at the front and smooth at the back. It lowers down and comes to rest on whatever it hits first. On my car, that's the rubber bumper right in front of the hatch latch receiver. That means the cover is balanced across its entire half-moon curve by that single point and to make it worse, that point is off-center. The cover sits cockeyed, higher on the driver side, lower on the passenger side. I could see it in my rear-view mirror and it drove me nuts in about 3.2 seconds.

Bottom line, there needs to be more than one support and it needs to symmetrically support the cover. I dug around in the garage and found a couple 1" plastic spacers that I affixed with 3M tape and all is much, much better now. There's gotta be a nice rubber bumper that could be attached to the underside of the cover that does the same thing. This isn't a cheap cover, something like that absolutely should come with the kit.

That said, it now rides and looks terrific and I'm happy with what I've got (although I will search for a better bumper than the plastic spacers). Here's a few pics.

DSC_5093.jpg

You can see one of the spacers in the pic below @ about 5 o'clock. The other is silhouetted @ about 10 o'clock.
DSC_5091.jpg

The spacers raise the cover enough that it sits about 1/4" above the rubber stop it originally rested on. When the glass goes down everything gets lightly compressed and the cover is held down at least some. I can feel a light difference in the amount of pressure it takes to latch the glass. I don't think I'm pressuring the cover to an extent that could damage it, but I'll be keeping an eye on that.
DSC_5097.jpg

My conclusion - I'm happy to have it even while I do think the targa installation kit could be better for that price.

Sorry to bump this thread back from the past but I noticed you haven't reused weatherstripping from oem cover. This would solve your problem with how it fits and rests on the rubber stoppers.

Sorry to bump this thread back from the past but I noticed you haven't reused weatherstripping from oem cover. This would solve your problem with how it fits and rests on the rubber stoppers.

I can't find the installation materials right now, but I thought I remember reading the weatherstrip from the targa clamshell wouldn't fit. Certainly it wouldn't help the off-center resting point. I've got the old clamshell bagged and stored. The next time I talk to my mechanic (who did the install) I'll ask him about that.

I can't find the installation materials right now, but I thought I remember reading the weatherstrip from the targa clamshell wouldn't fit. Certainly it wouldn't help the off-center resting point. I've got the old clamshell bagged and stored. The next time I talk to my mechanic (who did the install) I'll ask him about that.
I would be surprised if couple and Targa covers have different footprint. Worse case you can just source rubber from couple's cover.

Here's how it sits on friend's coupe

fd01eb25dd9ca877debd14e98a38154c.jpg

25645239bfa191f86182d184ecc1c5ff.jpg

Last edited:
I just installed this cover on my 2002 targa and the weatherstrip from the clamshell definitely fits. It helps seal the rear glass hatch and decreases the risk of breaking the glass if you accidentally drop the hatch closed.

Edit: Poor photo, but here it is:

attachment.php

Attachments

• enginecover.jpg
    enginecover.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,005
Last edited:
Back