• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed Reinvents the Coolant Expansion Tank for the NSX - now w/ sight glass

Re: ScienceofSpeed Reinvents the Coolant Expansion Tank for the NSX - now w/ sight glass

Sweet, my sight glass tank came in today. Thanks Chris!

Last edited:
Re: ScienceofSpeed Reinvents the Coolant Expansion Tank for the NSX - now w/ sight glass

looks much better than the stock tank! :biggrin: Now i just need to clean the engine bay.

DSC02373.JPG

So you removed the fuzz from the cover, and painted it?

Jeff A said:
So you removed the fuzz from the cover, and painted it?

If you are talking about the engine cover...No. My stock cover is sitting in the garage. this is an aftermarket cover that i purchased from a prime member.

Last edited:

sjones said:
looks much better than the stock tank! :biggrin: Now i just need to clean the engine bay.

DSC02373.JPG

*** Clean! *** glad to see that intake manifold cover showed up finally as well.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Just to provide update. Just took a 1100 mile road trip this past weekend and the sight glass tank is working great!

Hey Chris,

Are the tanks on back order again. I placed an order 2 weeks ago haven't received it yet or any update?

The first and second batches have shipped. If it was placed about 2 weeks ago, then your tank is on the third batch, which will ship in about a week. We're working on the third batch now. I'm not sure who you are, however, if you could phone us, we'd be able to tell you when your tank will be shipping.

best regards,
-- Chris

Ok thanks for the update. I'll follow up.

I just had mine installed by my Acura dealer. It's beautiful and went in without any difficulty. The techs & service advisors commented to me on it's quality. Thanks!

Just installed mine today looks sweet.

Quick question where should the fliud level be in the sight glass. I just dumped the coolant that was in the old tank into the new but it's not even at the half way mark on the sight glass.

Any input where it should be would be great and if I needed what kind of coolant?

Thanks.

GEENSX said:
Just installed mine today looks sweet.

Quick question where should the fliud level be in the sight glass. I just dumped the coolant that was in the old tank into the new but it's not even at the half way mark on the sight glass.

Any input where it should be would be great and if I needed what kind of coolant?

Thanks.

Approximately 50% full. You can go slightly over if you'd like, but shouldn't go much under to prevent air bubble introduction...

take care,
-- Chris

Thanks Chris.

With these available again (and a yellowing 20-year-old coolant bottle in my NSX asking to be replaced with one of these or another OEM), I'm curious how reliable (leak & maintenance free) these have been since the issue with the initial batch was addressed.

Anyone care to share their longer-term experience, good or bad?

Anyone care to share their longer-term experience, good or bad?

I haven't had any issues with mine in the couple years I've had it. No leaking whatsoever. Haven't touched it other than to check coolant level and wipe any dust off of it.

Here's mine as an example:
Latest31.jpg

Have had no issues with several installed here except that the last one had a leaky sight glass fitting. Upon removal, the threads stripped out of the fitting. A quick retap and it was fine, though I opted to delete the sight glass.

Just reporting a few small issues that I experienced.

Will I continue to use the these? You bet! Its an awesome product!

I have had one for a few years, no leaks from the tank itself. The original "opaque" sight glass worked great and looked nice. It was getting dirty and I changed it out with a spare one I had. After a few months coolant leaked out from the tube. SOS was nice enough to send me out some new "clear" ones for free. Thanks. When I put the new one on, the tube was too long and was curved when installed. I shortened the tube and reinstalled it. It leaked. Tried a second time with another new tube that I had to shorten and it leaked again. So I just threw out the tubes and put plugs in place of them.

The tube seals fine as long as your don't shorten it to try to make it straight when installed.

Back