• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SCOOP from Japan NSX-R GT!

AU_NSX said:
It will still be rarer than a Carrera GT though.... 5 only worldwide! :eek:

I wouldn't mind betting that this will be lighter and faster than both the Enzo and Carrera GT!

I guess we can borrow quotes from this forum commenting on 800hp Civics, MR2s, RX7s or Supras. "A (???) is still a (?), but a NSX is in a totally different class".

I'm with WhiteNSXs here. If I had half a million, I'd pick up a CGT, no question about it. If there are only around 200 people a year (in US) willing to pay $80k for a NSX, how many would actually pay 5 times for a NSX-R GT, with similar body style as my 91?

In the same token, except for racing teams, not too many people would be willing to pay $400k for a special edition 997, but Porsche have no problem selling CGTs at $50k more. Just my 2 cents.

Info on this car is really hard to come by... Heck! even in Yahoo Auction Japan the Brochure for the NSX-R GT is fetching Approx $80!!! :eek:

So far though it really doesn't seem like its going to be turbo charged or anything. Price list for the brochure indicate its just the plane jane 3.2L V6 DOHC VTEC. And a lot of the Japanese NSX owners aren't getting too excited about it.

I really don't get what Honda is trying to do with this car. :confused:

Attachments

• nsx-r_gt.jpg
    nsx-r_gt.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 3,986
I'm guessing they're selling this car to make the latest version of their JGTC car race legal, like others have said. The JGTC cars hardly share any parts with their road going counterparts, but their are restrictions such as, the JGTC cars can only be a certain number of inches wider than the road car, front and read overhangs can only be a couple inch more, etc They also have to be based loosely on the road car's engine. Honda probably wanted to make a wider JGTC car or needed an engine variation that could keep up with the other teams.

Kaz said:
Info on this car is really hard to come by... Heck! even in Yahoo Auction Japan the Brochure for the NSX-R GT is fetching Approx $80!!! :eek:

So far though it really doesn't seem like its going to be turbo charged or anything. Price list for the brochure indicate its just the plane jane 3.2L V6 DOHC VTEC. And a lot of the Japanese NSX owners aren't getting too excited about it.

I really don't get what Honda is trying to do with this car. :confused:

If this car only has a freaking 3.2 NA engine with 290HP, this car is the biggest joke ever released in the automotive world @ $500,000. You would have to be in a mental institution to buy this car. :mad:

Kaz said:
And a lot of the Japanese NSX owners aren't getting too excited about it.

Where are you reading/hearing about the Japanese reaction to the car?

3.2L..... :mad:......That's so f**king weak. I do agree with one of the statements above about "signaling the end." The NSX CAN NOT POSSIBLY be a profit center for Honda.....My buddies (NON-NSX owners) always joke about the reason the NSX hasn't changed in 14 years is because......SIT DOWN FOR THIS ONE....IT'S A CLASSIC. They truly believe all NSX's were essentially produced in 1991 and due to low volume sales, they had a huge surplus of parts and have been depleting their parts stash on new model cars slowly but surely...... :confused:....I actually do think this is a cute theory.

dawggpie said:
I'm guessing they're selling this car to make the latest version of their JGTC car race legal, like others have said. The JGTC cars hardly share any parts with their road going counterparts, but their are restrictions such as, the JGTC cars can only be a certain number of inches wider than the road car, front and read overhangs can only be a couple inch more, etc They also have to be based loosely on the road car's engine. Honda probably wanted to make a wider JGTC car or needed an engine variation that could keep up with the other teams.

Interesting thought. Could the reason that the NSX has been in production for so long with such low sales volume be because of JGTC? Perhaps there's some rule that says that JGTC cars have to have a production variant in order to qualify.

Otherwise, it doesn't make any financial sense to keep it in production. I'm glad that they did keep it in production though. :biggrin:

Ben said:
Interesting thought. Could the reason that the NSX has been in production for so long with such low sales volume be because of JGTC? Perhaps there's some rule that says that JGTC cars have to have a production variant in order to qualify.

Otherwise, it doesn't make any financial sense to keep it in production. I'm glad that they did keep it in production though. :biggrin:

I'm not sure, but I think the Supra is out of production in Japan and they still race it in the GT500 class. I know the RX7 has been out of production for a couple years in Japan now and they still race it in GT300, although the GT300 rules might be different. I think the only reason the NSX is still around is to draw people into dealerships and maintain a bit of a sporty image.

They truly believe all NSX's were essentially produced in 1991 and due to low volume sales, they had a huge surplus of parts and have been depleting their parts stash on new model cars slowly but surely...... ....I actually do think this is a cute theory.

...the govt regulations for alot of the safety, emissions and compliance parts change year to year...

Something is absolutely wrong, would you explained what is the difference from a "regular" nsxR with factory goodies?? From the pictures, it doesn't seems like it had a wide body, the front spoiler and side scoop looks added on, the rear is one of the tasteless modification (I'm sure the added on length help ultra hi speed stability) and it costs $350k more?? Not even a full carbon fiber body??

Seems like this is something created from the "crack" team of Honda Executives and marketing people.

Side note to that special addition 350Z in Japan, there is some parts that's no available in spare. For instance, the fugly front and rear bumper... so If you scraped that fiber glass, you are officially destroyed that car... It's kind of Lame...

Second thought, could this be just a lame photoshop JOKE???

dawggpie said:
I'm not sure, but I think the Supra is out of production in Japan and they still race it in the GT500 class. I know the RX7 has been out of production for a couple years in Japan now and they still race it in GT300, although the GT300 rules might be different. I think the only reason the NSX is still around is to draw people into dealerships and maintain a bit of a sporty image.

Maybe Mazda is building special edition rx-7's in batches of 5 to be able to still campaign?

NetViper said:
Where are you reading/hearing about the Japanese reaction to the car?

Sources are kinda limited.. and only a small group of people seem to even know about the GT. The normal Japanese Honda forums make no mention of the GT.

The 2 japanese sources that I have found are:

One Blog in Japan from a later model NSX owner who went out and got a GT brochure:

http://www.doblog.com/weblog/myblog/30253

and the other on a NSX BBS forum over there:

http://6105.teacup.com/nsx/bbs

Both mention that GT is a joke.. with only a NA 3.2 Engine and crazy price tag, who in their right mind would buy it.

So so far it seems like all the GT is a type R with a fancy bodykit..

Kaz said:
Sources are kinda limited.. and only a small group of people seem to even know about the GT. The normal Japanese Honda forums make no mention of the GT.

The 2 japanese sources that I have found are:

One Blog in Japan from a later model NSX owner who went out and got a GT brochure:

http://www.doblog.com/weblog/myblog/30253

and the other on a NSX BBS forum over there:

http://6105.teacup.com/nsx/bbs

Both mention that GT is a joke.. with only a NA 3.2 Engine and crazy price tag, who in their right mind would buy it.

So so far it seems like all the GT is a type R with a fancy bodykit..

Keep us posted if you find anything else.

Honestly, unless this car is a full CF body and 500+ HP turbo, it should just go away.

Kaz said:
AU_NSX where did you get this brochure?

Kaz, Got it from Yahoo Auctions in Japan.

I would be VERY surprised if the NSX-R GT is a Type-R with a fancy bodykit The price alone would lead you to believe that it must involve more!

Honda have previously made all-carbon fibre NSX's before for Le Mans and I saw one for sale in the US some years ago (for around USD $400,000 if my really bad memory is not mistaken).

The price and quantity means that the cars will probably all be bought by JGTC racing teams who would trully be able to use the lighter and stiffer carbon fibre chassis (if in fact it is?)

The reason I think it may be turbo charged is because the rear photo looks like it has exits for the boot (trunk) mounted intercooler. I have seen a race NSX develop over 800+hp with this set-up. It is the perfect spot for an intercooler if you don't mind loosing the storage space

I personally am not going to get excited about it either, simply because I cannot afford one! I just like to see Honda spending the time and money to develop the NSX in ANY form... even if it's only for racing!

NetViper said:
Keep us posted if you find anything else.

Honestly, unless this car is a full CF body and 500+ HP turbo, it should just go away.

I agree.

There is some speculation in the Japanese forums that say this model was basically made so that they could make the JGTC NSX cars longer & wider after last years dismal performance in the JGTC races. Apparently the NSX's lack of performance pissed off some one high enough in Honda management to do something about it... Although I'm not sure if this really is the answer...

BTW: Anyone who thinks that the engine is going to put out 500hp is probably on drugs or just tripping on something else.

There is no way that a rear 255 tire would be able to put that much power to the ground, and from the pictures it looks the tires are not any wider than the current Type-R model.

More than likely as some others have guessed a special run of the current NSX-R with some body parts throwed in, front bumper, side scoops, rear hatch scoop and the longer rear bumper to keep the current JGTC cars legal just like Nissan did for the Fairlady's (350Z) in Japan. I don't see the brochure mentioning anything else that is special on the car.

Ken

AU_NSX said:
Kaz, Got it from Yahoo Auctions in Japan.

The price and quantity means that the cars will probably all be bought by JGTC racing teams who would trully be able to use the lighter and stiffer carbon fibre chassis (if in fact it is?)
AU_NSX do you think you could scan in the Spec page of the brochure? I think that will help clarify some of the mystery of the car.

As for JGTC teams buying it...
I don't think that JGTC teams will even buy it. Since GT 500 JGTC share small percentage of actual OEM components. I think they priced the GT this way to keep people from buying it.. Its starting to look more like a tactic to get a heads up in JGTC.

Just saw this on JGTC's web page. The NEW JGTC NSX with the Type R GT based chassis is doing test runs on track. Overall Length and width have been increased, this increases the frontal surface are so it reduces the handy cap from last year's +20 Kg to -20 Kg. MR handicap has also been eliminated so that reduces handy cap by -65 kg. Also with the wider body it provides for more down force and allows more room in the engine compartment. This allows for some drastic changes in engine layout. (according to JGTC web page see pic)

So this seems like this NSX is a JGTC rules circumventing car rather than the new NSX that we were all hoping for..(not that any of us could afford this $500k monster :smile: )

Attachments

• nsx.jpg
    nsx.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 3,743
Kaz said:
Also with the wider body it provides for more down force and allows more room in the engine compartment. This allows for some drastic changes in engine layout.

Now that sounds good to me!

Looking at the Takata NSX 05' geeze that thing is ridiculously wide!
I'll be in japan next week hope can pick up the brochure or info..

I think this car is awesome.

Anyways, there is too much hush hush and too much money involved for this to be an NSX-R with a body kit...I suspect this is a street legal (in Japan) JGTC car complete with turbos. I think the specs they posted are of "an NSX"...I'm sure the purchasers will have the real specs of the car revealed to them...right before they sign the non-disclosure.

NetViper said:
If this car only has a freaking 3.2 NA engine with 290HP, this car is the biggest joke ever released in the automotive world @ $500,000. You would have to be in a mental institution to buy this car. :mad:

I think that's the point. This car is not made to be sold but to be on sale so that Honda can use it as a race car base. I think they priced it so ridiculous so that they don't actually have to sell one. However, I read that someone actually did order one. haha.

Is today April fool's day :biggrin: :biggrin:

oops, i was off by a month. :tongue:

Back