• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Scuffmaster leather refinishing kit

Having researched some of the previous posts on treating worn leather seats on Prime and some of the iffy results that were obtained, I thought other Prime members might find this product of some interest. The product in question is called Scuffmaster and is sold by a company in the UK called Liquid Leather. They do not appear to have a North American distributor so you have to order it off of their web site (www.liquidleather.com). The price, including shipping is about £17 (you do the currency conversion). I found one previous mention of this product by a Prime member; but, no details on the results.

The seats on my 2000 NSX were not badly worn (no major rub-offs of the finish coat); however, there were a significant number of cracks on the driver’s seat outside bolster (bottom and back panel), some cracking on the driver’s inside bolster (back panel) and a small amount of cracking on one of the passenger bolsters. I have attached photos showing the seat condition after cleaning and before treatment with the Scuffmaster. The seats were out of the car for this fix because of some other required repairs to the seat back cushions. You wouldn’t need to pull the seats to do this work; however, it sure was nice not to have to deal with bumping into a steering wheel all the time.

The Scuffmaster product requires that the seats be thoroughly cleaned prior to treatment. Scuffmaster is a water based dye and if there is any oily residue on the leather surface, it will not be absorbed by the leather. Liquid Leather recommends the use of their cleaner. Instead, I used Autoglym leather cleaner which is a ‘sudsy’ water based cleaner, in part because it was available locally. Don’t use any combined cleaner & conditioner products because you don’t want any residue on the leather before you treat it. A local upholstery repair guy recommended a 10% acetone in water solution for cleaning and degreasing; however, I was a little hesitant to try something that aggressive. The Autoglym seemed to work well; however, it took me a lot of repeated cleanings to get the seats to the point where there was no more stuff coming off the surface of the seats. I think I used about ¾ of a role of those disposable blue shop towels before they would come clean without residue. In retrospect, I am thinking that a previous owner or detailer may have done a color treatment on the seats to hide the defects.

I applied the undiluted Scuffmaster dye directly to the cracks using a modeller’s micro brush (looks a bit like a single ended Q-tip except with a tiny round fuzzy brush instead of cotton swab on the end). The micro brush is small enough to allow you to work the dye into the bottom of the cracks which is important because the dye is fairly thick and would tend to blob on top of the crack otherwise. After allowing the dye to dry for a couple of minutes, I wiped the surface with a water damped cloth. The dye will wipe off the adjacent surfaces of the leather where the original finish coat on the leather is still intact. I then took a little bit of dye and diluted it about 10 – 20 % with water and applied this as a color wash using one of the applicator sponges that came with the Scuffmaster kit. I did this to blend the cracks into the surrounding leather which was missing some of the topcoat. After the color wash dried, I again wiped with a damp cloth. I have attached photos of the seats after the dye treatment.

The Scuffmaster kit comes with some toners that can be used to alter the color of basic black dye in the kit. I didn’t use these toners. I found that after drying, the Scuffmaster black was a near perfect match to the 12 year old black on the seats. The Scuffmater kit also comes with a small bottle of gloss enhancer. You are supposed to mix a small amount of the gloss enhancer in with the dye on your final color wash. I didn’t do this which led to some minor regrets. The Scuffmaster dye has a flat finish (and I mean really flat). This wasn’t so noticeable until I applied some conditioner which put a shine on the leather surface adjacent to the cracks. Now that the conditioner is on, I can’t apply a color wash with the gloss enhancer unless I go through the whole cleaning process again and that’s not happening any time soon! If you have any large surface scuffs on your bolsters, you will really need to use the gloss enhancer to get a reasonable match with the surrounding leather. Without the gloss enhancer, the flat black appears much darker than the surrounding leather with its semi-gloss finish.

Scuffmaster is described as a permanent dye which does not need a topcoat. They do recommend conditioning the leather after treatment (I used Autoglym leather balm). After conditioning and letting the seats sit for two days, I took a white cotton cloth and rubbed it hard over the treated surface. I used both dry and damp cloths and did not detect any color rub off. The Scuffmaster kit comes with a 65 ml bottle of dye. I probably used about 5 ml to 10 ml max treating the cracks on my seats. The 65 ml is probably large enough that you could do a complete color wash of both leather seats on the NSX if you wanted to.
</O:p
The Scuffmaster dye is not a crack filler so the cracks in the leather are still visible. However, the dye is thick enough that it will fill cracks if you don’t work it into the base of the cracks and then wipe it off. This would be bad because a thick coat dries hard and will not flex with the leather. This is why the micro brush or similar applicator is important to work it down into the leather.
For you owners with colors other than black, Liquid Leather say they will custom match the color; however, you need to send them a color sample. You get to figure out the logistics on that one!

In summary:
  1. Excellent color match for black interior on a 2000 NSX.
  2. Relatively easy to apply (notwithstanding the hassle of getting the leather clean in the first place) and does not appear to have any nasty toxic bits.
  3. Easy to blend into adjacent surface since it does not adhere to the coated leather.
  4. No detectable rub off.
  5. Claims to be a permanent treatment (long term durability test has to wait until the snow melts and I can get the seats put back into the car).
  6. Price is reasonable; however, more expensive than shoe polish for those seeking bargain solutions.

Nice write-up Old Guy .. and only your second post!! I'll make sure it gets into the Wiki. As a relatively new user, if you haven't already found the NSX Wiki, you can get to it off the red action bar at the top of most pages. Lots of great info there on all aspects of owning an NSX.

BTW, where are you located in Saskatchewan? There are 4 of us in Regina and there used to be more in S'toon.

Interesting...especially since the bolsters are made of vinyl and not leather. Vinyl has no pours/texture for the product to attach to. I wonder if it will just wear right off?

I've used the Scuffmaster and also use their cleaner and conditioner. I applied the Scuffmaster about 2-years ago and it still looks fantastic with no noticable signs of wearing. The conditioner does a great job and makes the leather smell like new, so it's worth the cost for that alone.

All the best,

David

MLCNsx - thanks - good too know that my effort is going to be good for at least a couple of years. Supports their claim that its a permanent dye.

Rob4092xx - as noted by lqqky, you are 50% correct. I had the seat cushions off and can confirm that the inside faces of the bolsters are leather and the outside surfaces (where the switches are located) are vinyl. The accordian like sections between the bottom and side bolsters are all leather.

NSX2398 - I am in Regina. Is yours the black NSX that I have on occassion seen dodging snowplows and ice ruts during the winter? If so, you are braver than me.

NSX2398 - I am in Regina. Is yours the black NSX that I have on occassion seen dodging snowplows and ice ruts during the winter? If so, you are braver than me.
Yes, that would likely have been me. There was another black one in town but I haven't seen it in a while. Actually, I've been driving it all year round for 10 years now and probably have about 25-30,000 winter miles on it now. It's not nearly as ill-advised as you might think.

We'll have to get you out to one of the car show events this year. I usually go to the Collectors show at the Tommy Douglas building at the end of May; the July Canadian Tire show; and sometimes the Access show on the Labor Day long weekend. Joe Wollbaum is another local guy who was at the Collectors show last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpuPleZT_Tg&context=C350fdcdADOEgsToPDskJ7nND9xpsH_A692gv1tP48

BTW .. how old are you to qualify as an 'Old Guy'? I hit 60 last year :biggrin:

BTW .. how old are you to qualify as an 'Old Guy'? I hit 60 last year

I hit 53 in January, so I can't be the old guy. Yet! lol Pretty tough to catch you Ian. By the way 'Old Guy', are you driving the blue NSX? And if so, is it the NSX that was for sale up in Martensville? Just curious.

91 NSX Red/Black
09 VW Jetta TDI White

Within spitting distance of 60!

Yes its the blue one and the same one that was for sale in Martensville last spring.

Excellent write-up! Did the seats maintain the same basic feel after all of these products were applied?

itrsteve

The feel of the seats in the area where I applied the Scuffmaster is unchanged. If the dye is applied too thickly or not wiped off quickly enough with a damp cloth (as per their instructions), you might end up with a crusty, hard build-up on the surface. However, if you follow their instructions, you shouldn't experience any problems.

I used Autoglym conditioner on the seats rather than Liquid Leather's brand of conditioner. After having the seats sit in the basement for a couple of weeks (waiting for the snow to melt so I get at the car to put them back in), its hard to tell whether the conditioner did anything. As noted by other parties on this forum, the leather is coated (with urethane I seem to recall) and as such shouldn't absorb the conditioner. Maybe the conditioner is absorbed by the cracked parts of the leather that I treated with the dye which helps keep it soft. Maybe the conditioner is something you put on to make you feel like you are doing something! Who knows! The Autoglym conditioner doesn't hurt - no tacky residue, doesn't rub off (after a couple of hours) and doesn't seem to affect the scuffmaster dye (no color transfer).

Within spitting distance of 60!

Yes its the blue one and the same one that was for sale in Martensville last spring.

I seen your NSX parked at the south end of the north Canadian Tire store last year and went over and had a look at it. I do like that color and it looks better in person. Hope to see you out and about this year as there is not a lot of NSXs in Regina and it is almost rare to see two of them out at the same time as I am sure Ian can definitely attest to. And yes that was a good write up that you did. If and when my bolsters start wearing out, I'll have to give it a try.

91 Red/Black NSX
09 VW Jetta TDI White

Back