• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Seahawks V Steelers

Re: Talk to the Mountain

Just saw that piece about the Seattle team mantra "talk to the mountain". :cool: Rings my bell. Spent many hours in the air around Rainier and never got tired of looking at that magnificent sight.

Steelers win!!!!

Bettis just announced his retirement too.

Oh, and I just won $2000 in the office pool!!!!!!!

runaway.gif

team of destiny, apparently...

pstmbttb9er.jpg

I purposely kept myself from trying to predict an outcome of the game... hence no posts/comments on this thread until now... :biggrin:

(the regular season & playoff games were much easier to handicap for me than the Super Bowl XL matchup, oddly... it's the pairing of the Seahawks & Steelers who are very different from eachother, and then squaring off vs. eachother presented something new & unseen atleast for the past few seasons.)

I wonder how much the refs were paid to fix the game? I am not a football fan in general, My little girl is, but that was some bullshit calls against the Seahawks....would have been nice to see how the game really played out if it were being called fairly......:frown:

Texas91Brent said:
I wonder how much the refs were paid to fix the game? I am not a football fan in general, My little girl is, but that was some bullshit calls against the Seahawks....would have been nice to see how the game really played out if it were being called fairly......:frown:

Amen Brother....I was also noticing that most the ads focused on the stealers..no big surprise that almost all the bad calls were helping the Stealers, looks like everybody including the refs wanted them to win.

Even IF there was some conspiracy theory... we freakin deserve it.

We got jobbed in a couple playoff games already. yet we managed to overcome bad officiating and make it to the Super Bowl.

bad calls happen, still have to win the game.

I'm sorry but
IMO Seattle doesn't deserve a Championship because most of the fans here are nothing more than FAIR WEATHER FANS!!

For example, when the mariners were doing well, everyone loved the mariners and couldn't say enough about how great they were and that the mariners would finally bring home the World Series:rolleyes: blah blah blah

sorry just had to rant a bit....

I'm a Bills fan for the most part...but anyone watching the game could clearly see that Seattle got bent over by the NFL. That was pathetic. Are any championships even fair anymore? It's turning into boxing.

rickysals said:
Even IF there was some conspiracy theory... we freakin deserve it.

We got jobbed in a couple playoff games already. yet we managed to overcome bad officiating and make it to the Super Bowl.

bad calls happen, still have to win the game.

Sooo...2 wrongs make a right?

Well, I guess this game was the NFL's way of saying "sorry" to the Steelers for the horrible officiating for the Colt's game.

I am not one for conspiracy theory's but those two games really make me question the officiating in the post season. I mean it seems like the Colts were the story 2 weeks ago, so bam all the calls seemed to go their way (Polomalu definately intercepted that ball 2 weeks ago, no question). But then yesterday, there were just some horrible calls. And who was the story? The bus and him possibly retiring without a ring.

Pittsburgh are the winners, but they really didn't earn it. They were flat out outplayed by Seattle, and the officials stole the Lombardi trophy from the Seahawks. Sorry, but when your QB has a horrible rating (I think it was something like 68.2) and your defense was getting manhandled all game....you don't deserve the win.

With that said, it was nice to see Jerome and Ward get their hands on the trophy (especially Bettis). I can't think of two players who did deserve it more.

Sorry for the rant....flame suit on

reality...

Questionable calls, or not...

- Endzone push-off = it was a penalty, you can't touch the other fielding player. Period.

- Roethlisburger goal-line plunge = 10yds endzone & 6" white-line, nose of the football broke the plane of where the green-turf & white-line meet. Touchdown. Period.

- Offensive holding pentalty = just like the "endzone push-off", you can't grab/pull side of the player when's yhey're not directly in front of you. Period.

- Unsportsmanship/taunting/trash-talking = well, it seemed like both teams were festive & worked up. It's a part of the game. :shrug:

Calls missed...?

* Clear fumble by Seahawks receiver when hit after catch, but whistle was blown thus play was dead...

* On interception return by the Seahawks, illegal-block ('clip') on Big Ben who had his back to the pursuing Seattle blocker...

* Numerous holding infractions by Seattle's offensive line, uncalled by the officials; there's a reason why Blitzburgh's key blitzers didn't make their presence at Ford Field: holding. There was ALOT of it, A-L-O-T.

I don't care if you're the NFL & Commisioner Paul Tagliabue, the 75-year All-NFL team, the mafia, or 13-3 (2-1) Seattle Seahawks...

• when you throw an interception while in the opponents side of the field
  • give up a 75yard TD run & 43yard 'flea-flicker' TD pass
  • miss two field-goals indoors on artificial surface even w/o a defensive surge or problem w/ the hold
  • have numerous, key dropped passes while wide-open
  • mismanage the clock right before the 'half & again after the 2minute warning towards the end of the game...
-> ... you will never beat a fundamentally solid, opportunistic, balanced, and skilled team like the '05 Pittsburgh Steelers. Even if the Steelers were having an off-game. Against teams like the current San Francisco 49'ers, Houston Texans, and possibly even Cleveland Browns, such a performance as the Seahawk's can garner a victory.

Alas'... onwards, forwards! :cool:

pstmbttb9er.jpg

even though i am a steelers fan. i do agree that some of those "incomplete" passes looked like they were in.

I was for neither team. I just wanted to watch a good game. The officiating was downright horrible. Come on man!! This is the freaking super bowl. I can't remember the last time I was watching a football game where it felt like one team was getting all the calls. Yeah, there are usually bad calls here and there and most of the time it evens out but last night's game just really stunk. WOW on the pass interference call! Again WOW! They should change the name of the game to the STUPID BOWL.

Osiris_x11, we know which team you were going for. It's okay to back up your team but if you are a fan of football or you know anything about football you gotta recognize how bad of a game it was, officiating wise. If not, then you are oblivious and/or are really into your team. I read your points and they may be valid but it just didn't go both ways.

On a good note, my square won the last score. $10 a square good for $400

Steeler's got lucklier, is that bad?

I AGREE that the Super Bowl's officiating wasn't exceptional nor inspirational. But it wasn't erroneous either. On any given game, one team gets 60-40 or even 67-33 of the 'breaks'. Occasionally, sometimes it's 75-25. Yesterday might've been one of those nites, they are known to happen.

None of the questionable 'calls' by the officials will be over-turned or deemed incorrect if/when the league views the tapes this week. All the calls had some degree of merit by the strict interpretation of the fundamental rules/codes. Questionable calls (judgement), perhaps. Erroneous or false calls, no.

What made the decisions/penalties and final-judgements to be scrutinized in greater scope than they actually should've been was the very fact that one team was clearly outperforming the other team, yet losing handily. What was being observed & seen didn't make sense or seem logical.

That's all I can say, really. The Seattle Seahawks outplayed the Pittsburgh Steelers for 2/3's of the Super Bowl, but their errors & miscues (aside from the zebra's realm) were just too many and too pivotal in a game of this magnitude against an underperforming, yet powerful team.

Alot of people don't watch the 4 pre-season games, then the 18 weeks of regular, followed by 3 weeks of playoffs. For them, the Super Bowl is basically the only match they watch in it's entirety and w/ keen observation. To such a viewer, certain happenings of the game can be generalized unfairly. The Super Bowl was not an unscrupulous anomaly or biased conspiracy. It just was a bit more slanted towards one squad, which sometimes does happen, as aforementioned.

I'm happy for Hines Ward. He is one of the good guys in the league. When people are crying about money, he actually came back and played. Now will he get his money? I don't follow the steelers so I wouldn't know if they did finally sign him to a long term deal or not. I do know that he was holding out at training camp. If they didn't and now they won the big dance, do they pay him or let him go cause they did already win. Bettis too, good for him. He is a class act. I was just saying, it could have been a really good game if it hadn't been for those bad "judgement" calls.

changes...

ERICKGS3 said:
I was just saying, it could have been a really good game if it hadn't been for those bad "judgement" calls.

I'm totally w/ you, bro'... as a life-long Stiller' backer, yesterday left me w/ a full stomach yet empty feeling, if that makes sense!?! :rolleyes:

Heinz Ward held-out for 1 week of training-camp, then reported the following week (all of his own accord). He just wanted to make it known he wanted things addressed. Steeler's policy of not negotiating w/ players under contract during the season was adhered to. Though, a contract tender was signed prior to end of preseason, and it had been in the works for a long time. The stumbling block was the usual signing-bonus, which is at times the only guranteed money and what the player can count considering that their annual salaries are often back-end heavy or salary-cap "friendly"... so if being released/cut in the future, they do endup w/ atleast some earnings from what the contract promised.

Antwan Randel El possibly might be gone... he'll command a premium signing-bonus and even marquee 2nd receiver type of money.

Big concerns though are keeping the staff: offensive coordinator & defensive coordinator. After the last Super Bowl, Steeler's lost both (one to Dallas, one to Cinci') and missed the playoffs 3 times in 5 seasons.

You know what's really freakin' whack?!? The 2nd highest paid Steeler played in one or two games this season (RB Deuce Staley). He's due a roster bonus this spring, I think he'll be putting his WPenn home up for sale! Also, think about all the performance-based bonus'es in the contracts that kick-in if a Super Bowl is won... :biggrin:

Back