• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

seat adjustment

Hi all,

new to the forum. I am interested in buying a 2019 NSX. Deciding between an R8 and an NSX. My mind is saying R8 but my heart tells me to go for the NSX!

I just have a question regarding the seat. Unfortunately i was not blessed with height as my parents are small. I am only 5 ft 4 (162cm). I have heard that with the NSX you are not able to adjust the seat and increase the height??? I just want some clarification on the matter. I also heard the seating position is quite leaned back which i am also not used to. I prefer sitting up and being 'above the wheel' so to speak. If i cant adjust the seat then i imagine i will struggle to see properly over the steering wheel as the car is very low down.

I know for the R8 i will not have this problem as you can definitely adjust the seat to your liking.

Thanks alot for your help :)

Welcome to the site.

I am 5' 4'' and have no issue.

The nose of the car is low and forward visibility is terrific.

But the only thing that matters is that the set up works for you.

Go have a drive in it.

thanks for the response mate, puts my mind at ease.

I have also heard that the 2019 NSX now comes with 4 way power adjustable seats. I am curious if that includes height now and if it is any different to the previous year NSX.
That would make me want a new one if that is the case.

Thanks again

thanks for the response mate, puts my mind at ease.

I have also heard that the 2019 NSX now comes with 4 way power adjustable seats. I am curious if that includes height now and if it is any different to the previous year NSX.
That would make me want a new one if that is the case.

Thanks again

The seats have always been 4-way adjustable. This includes sliding the seat position forward or backwards and then tilting the rear of the seat forward or backwards. The difference for 2019 is that the power seats are standard and the manual seats are a free option. For 2017 and 2018 the power seats were an upgrade and the manual seats were standard. I do love the power seats as you receive 2 memory positions for the seats.

It's also possible you could have some sort of bracket or spacer fabricated for relatively inexpensive that would raise the height of the seat. I think I remember another owner was potentially having the same thing done but I don't know how it all turned out.

I rode with an engineer at NSXPO who said something about there needing to be new crash studies done if they were to add a seat height adjustment to the car. Not sure how involved that would be, but it might make it something that Acura has no interest in doing. To me, it's yet another in a long list I have of interior screw-ups that should have been thought out better in the development phase of the car. For a car that is to be marketed to Asians/Japanese who are typically not as tall as their Western counterparts, you'd think that a seat height adjustment would be a standard item on the car.

On that note, an aftermarket seat/rail with a height adjustment would probably be a lucrative item for a company to develop!

I rode with an engineer at NSXPO who said something about there needing to be new crash studies done if they were to add a seat height adjustment to the car. Not sure how involved that would be, but it might make it something that Acura has no interest in doing. To me, it's yet another in a long list I have of interior screw-ups that should have been thought out better in the development phase of the car. For a car that is to be marketed to Asians/Japanese who are typically not as tall as their Western counterparts, you'd think that a seat height adjustment would be a standard item on the car.

On that note, an aftermarket seat/rail with a height adjustment would probably be a lucrative item for a company to develop!

No need for rails with height adjustments, just something that raises the fixed height of the seat to a more comfortable position for and shorter drivers.

Welcome to Prime!

I’m a tad shy of 5’5 and trust me when I tell you that seat height adjustment isn’t necessary for you. You’ll be surpised how quickly and how comfortable you’ll be, once you find/get into your driving position. My wife is 5’ and has zero issues with seat position or forward vision. She just needs to adjust the position of the steering wheel a tad higher, but other than, she praises how great the driving position is.

Welcome to Prime!

I’m a tad shy of 5’5 and trust me when I tell you that seat height adjustment isn’t necessary for you. You’ll be surpised how quickly and how comfortable you’ll be, once you find/get into your driving position. My wife is 5’ and has zero issues with seat position or forward vision. She just needs to adjust the position of the steering wheel a tad higher, but other than, she praises how great the driving position is.

Could it be that like the original NSX, the seat rails are designed such that as the seat moves forward, the seat raises (i.e. the rails are higher toward the front of the car)? Obviously this approach would likely work for a larger percentage of the population but not everyone. People with either shorter legs compared to their torso or longer legs compared to their upper torso would encounter some compromises.

I know this is an old thread, but I needed to raise my seat on my 2022 NSX Type S for sure.
DISCLAIMER: This is what I did. Before any modifications, you must consult with your own automotive engineer.

I'm 5-8 and added 1-3/4" to the rear seat bolts and 1/4" in the front. Whatever combination, I just needed to buy the appropriate M10 x 1.25 bolts that represent the additional length over the stock bolt. The rear seat bolts are level and the front bolts angle forward. This causes wonky geometry when raised. However, especially with the front barely raised (or not raised at all) there is enough play and flex in the stock seat rails that I did not have a problem with it. I was careful to hand thread all four bolts before final tightening. I made sure to tighten the front first. (very important). I felt in an accident, all the weight of the driver is held in place by the seat belts, they are fastened to the chassis, not the seat itself.
I purchased two of these and the M10 bolts at the hardware.
Screenshot 2022-06-09 081155.jpg

Thanks for sharing your info about raising your seat. I am 5-11 and still feel I am way too low. I ordered the same kit on amazon with the aluminum risers. You said you want to a local hardware shop for the M10x 1.25 bolts. Did you see if they are grade 8 (meaning high strength) in case of an accident. Did you get stainless steel or Aluminum? Did you find black or anodized to match? Do you buy chance remember the lengths that you bought? I wanted to raise 1.75 inches in the back and maybe 1/4 inch in the front (Like you did) - it does not make you feel tilted forward does it? Thanks

Thanks for sharing your info about raising your seat. I am 5-11 and still feel I am way too low. I ordered the same kit on amazon with the aluminum risers. You said you want to a local hardware shop for the M10x 1.25 bolts. Did you see if they are grade 8 (meaning high strength) in case of an accident. Did you get stainless steel or Aluminum? Did you find black or anodized to match? Do you buy chance remember the lengths that you bought? I wanted to raise 1.75 inches in the back and maybe 1/4 inch in the front (Like you did) - it does not make you feel tilted forward does it? Thanks
As it turns out I did a lot of height experiments over a few weeks. I ended up with 3/4" front and 3/4" rear. It took a day or two each time to realize the tilt was uncomfortable. I bought a bunch of different lengths to get the thread engagement correct. They were all 8.8 or 10.9. Due to the geometry of the rail, you may have the seat rail flex a bit depending on the height front versus back, but in my opinion, it isn't an issue.

To check the bolt length, put the spacers on the new bolts and check for thread exposure versus the originals. (see pic, it was just one of the many variations I tried). I think I bought every M10 x 1.25 bolt length they had. You can decide on washers too.

You'll need to decide on your own, but my thoughts on crash dynamics are what needs to be restrained in an impact is your 160-pound torso. Your torso is restrained primarily by the belts and the belt's mounting integrity. The seat itself (yes, I know your weight is on it) isn't in danger of moving because of four 1-inch spacers and new grade-eight hardware. If the accident is that bad, there are probably a bunch more uncontrollable variables that I don't want to think about. Your body will be held by the belts as designed. (again, my opinion)

I didn't match the original black hardware. Of course, I saved them though. I wasn't too worried about the match and grade because it will be put back to the original at some point.

I'm definitely glad I took the time (a few weeks) to do it. Much happier sitting where it feels right to me. Be super careful and hand start the threading. That bottom picture is just what I had left over, as you can see I bought a bunch of spacers and bolts.
IMG_3809.JPG
IMG_3808.JPG

W_Orlando,
Thanks for your help.
2 questions. The stock bolt is 3/4 inch long. (See first pic) So with adding a 3/4inch spacer, the bolt would need to be 1.5 inch long. Metric bolts come in 35 or 40 mm length. 1.5 inches is 38.1 mm - so did you get a 40mm or a 35mm? A little too long or a little too short?
I looked and the original bolt is a grade 8 which is close to a property Class 10.9 bolt - see 3rd pic below. But they only seem to sell in packs of 50 bolts. see second attachment. Did you find a better place to get the bolts? Appreciate your help.

Attachments

• IMG_5559.PNG
    IMG_5559.PNG
    562.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5560.jpeg
    IMG_5560.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5561.jpeg
    IMG_5561.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 7
If I remember, I went on the long side. I think there was enough "tap-through" length left that you were not bottoming out the bolt. But just check to make sure you are comfortable and when you hit a reasonable tension, the seat rail isn't still floating around. I did double-washer the tops to dial in the tap-through length better.
I went to Ace Hardware and could buy them by the single. As you can see from my picture, they ran the gamut as far as style. Some were black, and some silver-looking and the kit had gold I think. Sorry, I'm not more of a perfectionist.

Back