• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Second thoughts about so called "Streetable exhausts"?

It appears that some who have installed the aftermarket exhausts like the Taitec or the Anytime etc. are having concerns about the loud noise that they are now having to deal with. This may be one reason why some decide to sell rather quickly after making their purchases. These exhausts are perfectly fine for the track but it appears that in the street and around the neighborhood they are too loud and too conspicuous to say the least. The stock exhaust is quiet around town and can produce a pleasant sound at high revs but the aftermarket exhaust are always screaming "look at me I am so loud and fast". This seems more in character with the boy-racer crowd and not the elegant NSX.

I wish there was an aftermarket exhaust that combined the weight savings of the Taitec and the subtle and refined sound of the oem. But alas, there is no such exhaust to be had.:(

My Comptech is really really quiet. Kind wish it was louder at times but having a quiet car is definitely a plus in daily driving.

Im very happy with my Tubi exhaust.....it humms so nicely at idle and low rev......but as soon as you start to get on it....it comes alive like wild cat at screams im coming for you.

You obviously have not heard the anytime. It is not loud AT ALL during daily driving. Only when you get about 6000RPM does it start to get loud (and sound great!). For just daily driving with the windows up, you could almost pass it for stock.

Sportscar = NSX = Loud exhaust

Family Sedan = Accord = Quiet exhaust

The stock NSX exhaust is quiet and part of the reason why magazine editors call it as docile as an Accord. Perhaps just leave your car stock and look for performance gains outside of an exhaust?

I am very pleased with my Borla Exhaust. It has a nice mellow tone with no high pitched noises. I highly recommend this system. It is available to the general public as the Anytime Exhaust.;)

Again, it's a matter of personal preference. I don't use my NSX as my primary vehicle, so I'm perfectly happy with the "loudness" of my JGTC exhaust...It makes the car sound exotic at all speeds...As a daily driver, it might be too loud for my taste (maybe). As far as the statement about annoying your neighbors, I guess I don't quite understand...Sure, if I drive through my neighborhood at 4000+ rpm I can de-fur most small pets, but cruising at low rpm's, the exhaust note is barely noticeable....Listen in person before you buy.

gheba_nsx said:
My Tubi si perfect too... I had it on my silver (=Martin's car now) and I think the sound level was the one that should have come with the car.

Now, on the black, I have Tubi again but combined wuth a Carbon Dynamic AIrbox (also from Italy, BMC) and I have to admit that it is a bit louder than what I'd wish.

more infos:
http://www.bmcairfilters.com/infoCDA.asp

Hi

The Tubi is wonderfull. You can go cruising intown without making too much noise and then you can go tunnel riding and have a really good time :)

It is fun going downhill in first gear and listning to the Tubi making noise on low idle..just wonderfull..

Gheba do you feel any difference between the silver and the black in performance because of the airbox?

Regards

Noise?!?! What??!!?? I can't hear you..............all I hear is my Taitec and I love it! :D :D :D

The Comptech is not loud at all without header, but if you have after market header, any exhaust will be loud, but I guess some are down right annoying, some don't.

Well, I'm the boy racer crowd, so I'm not happy with the CompTech exhaust at all, if you know what i mean. ;) However, I think the weight saving and quietness of an exhaust design would be contradicting...

Mugen muffler design was very good, ( you know those they made for civic/ integra which had another pipe wrap around the muffler and going back in to the muffler.) But I don't think there's any simular design for nsx.

I love the Tubi. It is really mellow at idle and low speed but gets loud but not too loud at WOT. It is very easy to live with. I would buy one but I don't want to spend more than a grand for an exhaust.
Steve

Tubi

There's a slightly used Tubi for sale in the parts forum FYI :)

martin said:

Gheba do you feel any difference between the silver and the black in performance because of the airbox?

Hmm... I guess it is very difficult to say since it should change the performance at hi speed. The company is very serious (they sell a lot of these for Ferrari and Lambos in Italy). But Hoinda did a good job on the NSX intake...

Furthermore the specail gearbox changes a lot the feeling of teh car and the car is definitely faster than before.

exhaust systems

At Mechanics Direct Modifiers we have installed many NSX exhaust systems for our customers. If you want performance but are concerned about being too loud around town our recommendation would be Comptech headers and cat back. At lower rpm it sounds much better that the stock system and comes alive over 3,500. :)

Back