• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Seibon NSX-R carbon fiber wing spoiler review FINALLY!!!

Downforce makes two versions, one that is a replica of the R wing, and one with a shortened end to fit into the groove for those who prefer that look. I don't prefer the look as I think it makes the extensions of the wing look stubby. Perhaps I am just used to the look of an exact R replica. I am not an aerodynamics engineer, and obviously none of us, nor Seibon nor DF have access to a wind tunnel to see the affects. Common sense tells me there is a REASON why the factory wing is more extended. Honda could have easily made it shorter to fit into the groove, they didn't. Whether there is a real aerodynamic difference or not we will never know. I can guess yes and you can guess no but we are both guessing. I doubt it's anything that anyone would feel a difference on, but besides that, a number of R wings including the Seibon don't look like exact replicas elsewhere either. There are slight angle differences in the lip end and side ends. Again, probably nothing anyone is going to feel while street driving the NSX.

Honestly, despite having one, I still think this is an ugly wing compared to the OEM and looks like a real tack-on at times and downright hideous from certain angles. I remember the first time I saw one my first thought was "why would someone do that to their NSX". Then I did it myself but I've never been thrilled with it.

Honestly, despite having one, I still think this is an ugly wing compared to the OEM and looks like a real tack-on at times and downright hideous from certain angles. I remember the first time I saw one my first thought was "why would someone do that to their NSX". Then I did it myself but I've never been thrilled with it.

I agree from the rear it doesn't look like belongs. I do like the OEM spoiler. I also think from certain angles the spoiler looks amazing.

Did you look into the NRG R wing? Curious to hear your thoughts. I thought it was of better quality and cheaper from my brief inspection. yours def looks good. im happy to have options.

Who sells the NRG wing? I've tried looking for venders but no one has a picture of it for me to be sure I'm ordering the right/proper wing.

I have the NRG wing - and I plan to list it FS this evening. :)

Quick question, how did you get the wing to fit with the OEM harness protruding from the trunk? The rubber part I am refering to. Are you suppose to take that whole thing out? or do you cut a hole into the wing?

Just installed my Seibon NSXR spoiler. For the price, its really not bad. I also removed the rubber seal but installed double sided adhesive on the hole to prevent dirt from creeping in. Spliced the factory wiring though.

So after trying to do research on the best nsx-r spoiler for the money, i decided to pull the trigger and gamble on the seibon TR (nsx-r) style wing

I told myself i would do a full write up review for all other members thinking about this spoiler since i could find no info on it here on nsxprime

I was going to go with VIS, but VIS was actually $60 more than the seibon and VIS's customer service sucks

I was looking into downforce, but the best I could find for the CF version was like $1200 plus shipping.

My boy Cesar at Nor Cal auto styles in fremont Northern CA hooked it up once again. Lowest Price that i could find shipped was $490 on ebay, and he managed to beat that picked up locally at his shop. So if you are in the bay area and need carbon fiber products, no one can beat his prices, he actually drives down to Seibon and Vis and hand picks all the products to make sure no defects, i figure thats better than gambling on shipping via internet sites.
Their number is 510-360-9999 if anyone is interested in using them.

I just picked up my spoiler today after it had been back ordered for over 3 months at Seibon. Wing came with a build stamp of 4/12/2012

So here are the pics and fitment

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

actually has foam surround to act as a gasket, and notice the wiring is coming out of the correct side!

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMAG1243.jpg

IMAG1246.jpg

The spoiler took about 5 minutes to install, took very little adjusting and all bolts lined up good

Im not sure about how the downforce fits, but with the seibon being 1/3 of price, I do not see anything wrong with it.

I dropped off the wing at my body shop to get an extra clear coat put on while the finish is still new. Should protect from yellowing or fading by putting a high grade automotive clear on it.

I did notice the LED light seems to be fairly cheap. I took the led housing off which is held on by 3 screws and added silicone to where the wiring came out of the plastic (from the factory, its a huge hole where the wire comes out, water would prolly find its way in there)

I have one of these as well and am very impressed with the fitment and overall quality. I agree, there needs to be a grommet or some silicone where the wire comes through - seems like a finishing oversight on their part.

Not sure if this was mentioned on this thread but it's certainly been hashed to death on other threads, is the fact that this is a poor copy of the NSX-R wing. It's almost like Seibon copied from pictures instead of taking a mold of the actual NSX-R wing like Downforce did. The shape of the Seibon is wrong and does not convex/bow appropriately. The Seibon wing is also very thick as if it was carved from a piece of 2x4 :)

Here's a view of the Downforce one. Notice the wing itself is thinner and it bows like the NSX-R wing.

IMG_2100.JPG

It's both as well as functionality of the wing itself.

I'm not trying to be "that elitist guy" on the internet but I do feel folks need to understand the differences since this stuff isn't cheap and folks are buying thinking it's a true replica - it's maybe a 65% replica that will pass the 50ft test.

There are many who argue that the OEM NSX R wing is not a true airfoil even though it does create true downforce. However, the Seibon one is much farther from optimal still. It's easy to notice differences in a side by side comparison.

Sorry again. I feel like a jerk.

I had one of the seibon wing. First one actually and well, not impressed. The wire had to be fished to the correct side. Weave look bad. Thick, comparing to DF wing side by side, boy did I regret getting it. Sold it soon after. But, on the budget side and if you are not as picky, the price was good. Now I'm rockin the df r wing and am very pleased.

I had one of the seibon wing. First one actually and well, not impressed. The wire had to be fished to the correct side. Weave look bad. Thick, comparing to DF wing side by side, boy did I regret getting it. Sold it soon after. But, on the budget side and if you are not as picky, the price was good. Now I'm rockin the df r wing and am very pleased.

BTL3.0 - I have this wing. My wire is on the correct side, the weave is superb as is the finish. My issue is that I had hoped there was some padding between where the wing makes contact with the trunk. And the wire when I got the wing, was bare (maybe that was because I bought it used). I would have liked a plug and play. But, I like mine.

think i had purchased from a bad batch. Because even the led brake light wasnt on tight. There were gapped and the screw were, well, not hoding it down good. But seem like they may have fixed those issue when you purchased your

btl3.0 - i have this wing. My wire is on the correct side, the weave is superb as is the finish. My issue is that i had hoped there was some padding between where the wing makes contact with the trunk. And the wire when i got the wing, was bare (maybe that was because i bought it used). I would have liked a plug and play. But, i like mine.
wire came with nothing. When i got the wing i had to make pins for connection. If you want to make it really nice i think we gotta find old plugs from original wing

Ok guys….first off, Murray Christmas……thread resurrection time. Besides the current thread and this one, any additional feedback on the Seibon wing quality in 2022? It looks like OP is still active on Prime so thought I’d ask. I’ve been bad this year so I’ll have to buy my own CF wing, drop ~$2k on a DF vs ~$800 shipped.

I think the arch of the DF looks better than the flat board of the Pride wing (if even still available)…not sure how the Seibon wing has held up over the years. Thoughts?

Link to the DF vs Pride pix

DF vs Pride

Ok guys….first off, Murray Christmas……thread resurrection time. Besides the current thread and this one, any additional feedback on the Seibon wing quality in 2022? It looks like OP is still active on Prime so thought I’d ask. I’ve been bad this year so I’ll have to buy my own CF wing, drop ~$2k on a DF vs ~$800 shipped.

I think the arch of the DF looks better than the flat board of the Pride wing (if even still available)…not sure how the Seibon wing has held up over the years. Thoughts?

DF vs Pride
I've had the Seibon wing for two years now. No complaints: it looks great and hasn't given me any problems with the electronics.
A couple minor nitpicks to note though: the holes aren't perfectly lined-up with the trunk, so one of the bolts (aftmost passenger side) goes in at a slightly-off angle, but I have an extremely discrening eye and it's maybe 2 or 3 degrees off. Doesn't affect the mounting process as long as you go slowly and tighten by hand in a star-ish pattern; still fits when all's said and done, and isn't a big deal in my opinion.
The other is that the whole wing itself is maybe 1 mm off for the car, barely noticeable on the right/passenger side in the tiny gap between the wing and the body. I've noticed this on some of my buddies' cars too that have the same wing from different years, so I know it's not just my chassis or my wing.

Again, neither really matter in my opinion, but if you decide to splurge on the DF wing, I'd expect these to not exist when you're paying the premium.

The DF one definitely looks better, no question, but double-the-price better? Not for me, but I'm relatively stingy.

DF vs Pride
No clue on the current quality, but I was pretty happy with the seibon wing. Just remember to get an automotive quality clear sprayed on before install (when it's brand new)

My Das car has the Pride I’m not a fan of the shape of it. I went with DF and the fit is perfect but this was 15+ years ago.

The Seibon wing dose look nice I have seen them a few times in person while fit is noticeably different it’s not bad considering how crappy most aftermarket parts fit.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. I’m leaning towards the Seibon and putting the extra dollars towards a TI exhaust. Will continue to search for more Seibon pix. It looks like this just comes down to aesthetics.

Back