• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Selection question...

First off, you are in the wrong forum. Try putting this topic in the prospecitve owners section. Secondly, I think a few guys here might have a hard time thinking someone so young will be given a car of this nature. Not that it doesn't happen from time to time, but they may wonder if they are really to take you seriously before they construct a long reply giving you guidance.

KevinM said:
Age has nothing to do with it anyway.
Actually it does. You would be amazed at how many young ~13-18yrs come on here and ask the very same question. Saying that in a few years they are going to be getting one by either parents, working, inheritance or something and want to know the best kind to get and how to make it go xx.xx in the 1/4 mile. :rolleyes:
If you have in fact been around for a while, I'm sure you have seen lots of these same questions before. That and you should know how to use the search function for answers to many of them.

I must say the nice thing about not being a young whipper snapper anymore is that I don't get talked down to by adults anymore. I'm glad I got respect finally (only took me til 25, but I got it)! :tongue: :biggrin:

KevinM said:
I may be 16, but if you all think that I am just too young have one, or you don't believe me, that is fine. I'm not asking you to. In my school it is not unusual to see Porsche's, BMW's, Mercedes and of course, the great sushi sleds or rice rockets :rolleyes: . We even have a couple of parents with Ferrari's and I think I've seen a Viper and a Ford GT once. There are about 5 350Z's and 4 G35's, EVERY YEAR there is AT LEAST 1 M3 :tongue: . In fact, today my Physics teacher was telling us a story of how one day he looked out the window and saw a "Nissan NSX," which I was quick to correct lol :biggrin: . Last year we had a kid with a Mercedes S-class with some light modding from Kleemann. All I'm trying to say is, just because I'm young doesn't mean I can't have a good car. Anyways, if anyone wants to give me a ride, or even let me drive their NSX let me know! :biggrin: Can't blame me for trying :redface:

Ok so you go to a school with rich kids.
It isn't a matter of whether we believe you or not, it is a matter of you are to young to have one. You wouldn't appreciate it for what it is. Just don't have enough years behind you yet. :frown:
I love your statement of saying you 'think you've seen a Viper and Ford GT once. Either you did or didn't. :rolleyes: Since you are dropping all these high price car names, you would know for certain if you have or haven't seen them.
I can almost guarantee you that nobody is going to let a 16 yr old drive their NSX. Unless they know your family very well and have known you since birth. Ain't happenin'

KevinM said:
How could I not appreciate the NSX for what it is? I don't know you, and you don't know me. If you could be so kind, please explain to me exactly WHAT the NSX is then.
If you have to ask what it is, then you don't get it. Have you done research into the car, went over one with a fine tooth comb, read multiple books about them concerning design, development, testing, etc. I have wanted one for a couple years shy of your age. Seeing one the first time in 1990(year you were born?) and making a promise to myself that one day after years of hard work, I would own one. I have put my time in and know quite a bit about them, but I'm a baby in the knowledge department when compared with others on here. I'm constantly reading the service manual even though nothing is wrong with it only to keep the knowledge flowing. Have a room in house dedicated to it and Michael Jordan.
Hopefully you are serious about one and don't want it simply to be seen driving it to school or be stupid and race it.

KevinM said:
, and my grandparents said that they will buy me a car as a graduation present. I
lucky bastard. My grandparents wrote me a check for $50 for my graduation gift and I was shocked to have even gotten that. When you work for something, youll appreciate much,much more :wink:

KevinM said:
I can work all I want, but I won't be making enough to buy the car just yet lol
Uh, that is the whole point. Work long enough and save enough and be wise enough and when you do get one, you'll love it that much more.
Having someone buy it for you at such a young age won't make you appreciate it.
I was given a car when I was in high school and thought I appreciated it. Until my parents would threaten to take it from me if I didn't get good grades, have a job,etc. I made a vow that I would work for anything and everything that I wanted from that point on. NOBODY would be able to take something away from me once I earned it.
Have the maturity to tell your grandmother that you are thankful to her for making such a generous offer but you will have to decline it. You will have much for respect for yourself and she will too.
Or you could just get it and take it to the Dairy Queen and eat a banana split with your silver spoon. :rolleyes:

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
KevinM said:
, and my grandparents said that they will buy me a car as a graduation present. I
lucky bastard. My grandparents wrote me a check for $50 for my graduation gift and I was shocked to have even gotten that. When you work for something, youll appreciate much,much more :wink:

PFFT! least you got something, I didn't get a grad present plus my $5 birthday checks stopped once I hit 18! :biggrin: Top that!

92NSX said:
Have the maturity to tell your grandmother that you are thankful to her for making such a generous offer but you will have to decline it. You will have much for respect for yourself and she will too.
Or you could just get it and take it to the Dairy Queen and eat a banana split with your silver spoon. :rolleyes:

I'd be quicker to ask for my college tuition to be covered now that I know what it's like to have student loans. But back when I was 17/18 I would prolly take the car.

Show your grandma this page http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/crashburn/crashburn.htm and I think she'll say no way to getting you an NSX.

I remember 20 years ago when all I wanted was Datsun 260Z and my parents wouldn't let me get one. I had a job, did okay in school, but I wanted a sports car. Well, looking back at it now, I would have killed myself. We ended up coming to a compromise as I only wanted a car in stick shift, and they only wanted me to drive a station wagon. Well, they ended up buying me a Dodge Aries K wagon with a four speed tranny. It looked like a dog catcher's car, but I had fun in it. I burned up the clutch in 1,500 miles, the engine blew up in 4,000 miles (covered under warranty for a defect with the camshaft), and I fried the wiring trying to hard wire a 1,000,000 candlewatt spotlight. :biggrin:

I'd suggest keeping the car you have now and concentrating on getting into a good college. Later on in life, if you are successful, you'll be able to afford any car you want and the best part will be the pride in knowing that you paid for it on your own.

Now go do your homework. :biggrin:

Maybe Armando will let you drive his NSX. He lives in Miami. :rolleyes:

NSX is quite expensive to mod let alone maintaining it. KevinM, do you have any side incomes for the car maintenance? Glad to see another car enthusiast who appreciate the NSX. :smile:

I would say if you have the opportunity to get a NSX, DO IT. I wish I had one at 16 or 18. And for everyone that thinks he is to young and might wreck it, that will just make one less NSX out there and make the rest of ours more rare. right?

Jin1976 said:
NSX is quite expensive to mod let alone maintaining it. KevinM, do you have any side incomes for the car maintenance? Glad to see another car enthusiast who appreciate the NSX. :smile:

I think grandma IS his side income, and it sounds like a good gig. I'm sure she'll pay for maintenance and any mods necessary.

Insurance question???...

Hopefully Grandma will foot the insurance bill too.

You just need to realize that this car has much power and can easily end up on a curb or the center median.

My take on all this is that no kid needs this much horsepower, or this much power under his foot.

KevinM said:
To those who think I shouldn't have to much power:
I learned to drive stick in an M5, and occasionaly drive a C32, and a C55. Never abused either.
And I won't be doing any mods to the NSX...so ha ::tongue::
Lucky bastard! :biggrin:

You sound like a real enthusiast... I wish the best of luck to you! It would have been really cool to get into such a nice car at such a young age (for me)... It'll have you jonesin' for an Enzo by the time you're 25. :biggrin:

I went to a high school with a slightly similar school as you did. I graduated over ten years ago, but back then it was not uncommon to see 3000GT VR4's, mercedes, lexus, pop's sports car. My buddy used to drive his parents 500SL occasionally and one kid got a convertable 328 when he recieved his driving permit. With that said I understand where you are coming from. On the other hand I paid for my own car and my parents paid the insurance for me. I bought a civic si HB and loved it! If you can get one go for it, but other people who worked their butt off in life really don't respect people who are handed everything in life. No offense.

I wonder how different it would be if everything was handed to me on a silver platter. Would it really be that bad? It'd be nice to know.

I really have to shake my head when I read about cars being graduation presents (for high school!!) When I graduated high school (egad, 20 years ago now) I got a "well done" from my family, because it was expected that I graduate from high school. If you didn't, you were a "drop out" and wouldn't have a lot of job options. When I graduated university (University of Waterloo, any other alumni out there?) I got a pewter mug from my parents embossed with my name and grad year. That was all I would have wanted: recognition of the fact I achieved something significant. It wasn't a reward like a car. Heck it could have been just a handshake.

I went to Waterloo's co-op program in part because I could earn enough in the work terms to pay for my schooling. I didn't owe anybody when I graduated, not even my family.

Now I need to get a do-over and try it all again. I want a 911 for my high school grad (no NSX in 1987) and a 512TR for my university grad. Then I'll let everybody know if I appreciate things as much.

Wow, some of you guys are just plain mean to this kid.

My best friend got his NSX when he was a sophmore in high school. His younger brother's first car was a slightly used 911 turbo, and his other brother's first car was the E46 M3.

I disagree that age has anything to do with it. Sure, use it as justification if it took you till age 30 to get yours.

Kevin, your questions have been repeatedly asked on this forum. So you should try and search before you ask questions or the forum nazi will get ya!

On behalf of the NICE people on this forum, we're happy that you show an interest in our cars!

oh and I didn't get jack sh** for my graduation. In fact, both of my parents were vacationing in Europe on the day of my graduation.

I've been lurking on this thread, and I can see both sides of the issue. If, on one hand, he is a member of that rare .0001% of high school kids out there who won't "wigger" out the NSX and mod it til it's worthy of a "fast and furious" photo shoot, then great...more power to him.

But I have to admit, when I was sixteen, I started driving an '81 280ZX which was thoroughly rusted (you could actually stick your hand through the body panels). I bought it with my own money and it gave me time to appreciate it and drive it with care. I took my time tinkering with it and learned how to heel-toe...I never raced it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are two ways to appreciate a car. I can appreciate the fact that the NSX has [insert number here according to year] horsepower, can do the quarter mile in [variable] seconds, etc. But it seems that most NSX guys who really appreciate the car appreciate it for it's handling, user friendliness, performance...everything.

So, in my opinion, if you thoroughly appreciate this car for what is, then go for it. :tongue:

You're a lucky guy to be offered a NSX at such a young age. Good for you if you get one soon.

That said, appreciating the ownership of a NSX is different from appreciating a NSX. I've always believed that one should experience and grow with lesser cars before graduating to higher, more exclusive ones to truly appreciate both ownership and the driving experience.

I see kids getting BMWs, MBs, Lexuseses etc.. as their first car all the time and can't help but think that they have no way of understanding what it is that they are driving and therefore what their senses are missing in the experience.

You spoiled rotten brat!
Can your grandparents adopt another grandchild? :biggrin:
But seriously, as far as I know, statistics are that accident rates are much higher in the 16-25 crowd, and personally I would hate to see another NSX trashed, everytime I look at the crash and burn section, I want to cry...get a Ferrari instead! :biggrin:

Back