• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Selection question...

ah let me remember when I was 16, I pulled the 1982 z28 (that had been parked for about five years) out of my parents back yard did some minor repairs, put on some tires, and it was ready for the road. Man it burned a lot of oil, and the paint was faded, but it had t-tops. those were the days.

bjmills said:
I wonder how different it would be if everything was handed to me on a silver platter. Would it really be that bad? It'd be nice to know.

I really have to shake my head when I read about cars being graduation presents (for high school!!) When I graduated high school (egad, 20 years ago now) I got a "well done" from my family, because it was expected that I graduate from high school. If you didn't, you were a "drop out" and wouldn't have a lot of job options. When I graduated university (University of Waterloo, any other alumni out there?) I got a pewter mug from my parents embossed with my name and grad year. That was all I would have wanted: recognition of the fact I achieved something significant. It wasn't a reward like a car. Heck it could have been just a handshake.

I went to Waterloo's co-op program in part because I could earn enough in the work terms to pay for my schooling. I didn't owe anybody when I graduated, not even my family.

Now I need to get a do-over and try it all again. I want a 911 for my high school grad (no NSX in 1987) and a 512TR for my university grad. Then I'll let everybody know if I appreciate things as much.

Nothing against KevinM, but I honestly have a hard time grasping why anyone should be rewarded for graduating school (or even getting good grades for that matter). Isn't the fact that you now just made a future for yourself enough? Evidently not in certain areas of the country. I was watching Laguna Beach the other day and one chick got a brand new BMW X3 or X5! What the heck?

I can only think what it's like once that $ spicket is turned off after they get on their own. Or if it's not, what it is like at the age of thirty asking your parents for money! :eek:

KevinM said:
Guys, it isn't my fault that my family can afford certain things. If my family has money, why not use it? I'm not like the other kids in my school who get anything they want, and yet don't try hard in school. My family can afford it, but won't give it to me if they don't think I have worked my butt off in school. Last quarter I ended up with a 4.475, and I know that it isn't for them, it is for me and my life. I know a kid with a Mercedes that has a 1.5 GPA. That ticks me off. ( I live with my grandparents ) My grandparents don't want me to work because they want me to focus on my studies, and I think that is fine.

I come from a wealthy family. My family founded a fortune 100 company. However, I had a humble upbringing. My parents did pay for my college tuition, but after college I was on my own. Found my own job and slowly made my way up the corporate ladder. Although I'm no where near as successful as my parents, to this very day I never touched a dime in my trust fund. My kids don't even know how lucky they are, and I don't want them to know. They need to learn how to work and appreciate things in life, and not take anything for granted. Car or no car, you should be getting good grades regardless. You might not feel you are spoiled, but you definietly sound like it.

Let me tell you this, when my eldest son was ready for a car, I wrote him a $30K check and asked him to get any car he could find within that price range. He went and got himself a Geo Prizm and gave me back the difference. That is maturity.

I could be wrong but didn't your pops build you a house?

Just jerking your chain....FYI - Your EVO has been treating me VERY well!

RyRy210 said:
Let me tell you this, when my eldest son was ready for a car, I wrote him a $30K check and asked him to get any car he could find within that price range. He went and got himself a Geo Prizm and gave me back the difference. That is maturity.

That is very almost hard to believe....you did a good job on that one!

I haven't had anything given to me. I left home at 18 and joined the military. Used my GI BILL for school and have been on my own ever since. I get ticked off when I see high school kids with $50k cars and no jobs. I may be judging but these days, I feel most of the younger kids are spoiled rotten little punk arses.

I think we scared him off. Eventhough he was basically getting a free ride, it really did sound like he was a level headed kid. He didn't come across a punk like some/most do.

Just in case he's still reading...get a different first car. My first car was an NSX and, though it was only 2 years ago, I was a complete idiot. Part of it was the fact that I didnt appreciate it enough, and thats because my dad bought it for me before I even had a license. If you do end up getting one..though it might sound silly to pay for a car rather than be given one, I appreciate my NSX so much more now that I pay for it and you enjoy the car so so much more. Just my .02 cents

RyRy210 said:

THAT.

IS.

AWESOME.

:biggrin:

Back