• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sequential!

At last! The Hewland has finally arrived. They understandably only build the gearboxes in batches so we've had to wait ages for it, but hopefully all will be well for the opening round of the race season.

This is the gearbox as fitted into the earlier JGTC cars, but a beefed up version to cope with more torque. Despite this, it is tiny compared to the OEM manual. The 'box is currently used by FWD diesel touring cars in europe.

Will update the thread as it and the paddle shift is installed... can't wait!

CIMG5265.jpg

CIMG5264.jpg

Also got round to fitting perspex.

CIMG5266.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

It is a big investment, you're talking $60k i guess. Longitudinal would be easy as you would just take one built for a Ferrari, i believe the NLT is the one in the F430 GT2 cars.

It has a new bell housing which is included in the cost. The paddleshift is separate, made by Geartronics.

Last edited:
5 years ago, I contacted Hewland for a sequential. 25,000 and no guarantee of fitment. I wanted to send a used NSX tranny out there for them to look at and eyeball. They said no, take it or leave it. Glad to see you guys taking the lead here.

Regards and Good Luck,

Danny

Last edited:
I had priced this unit up (well hard to know if it's this exact unit, but I assume so) from Hewland earlier this year and was given a price of just over $ 32,000 USD (about 24,000 quid). I told them I wanted to cope with 600-650HP at the flywheel.

A hell of a lot of money, but man I bet it'll make the car feel awesome to drive having driven cars with Holinger boxes before but not in an NSX.

Congrats on the purchase. I've had a good look at the geartronics setup before also and it looks great.

Good luck with the project, am looking forward to seeing your progress.

Last edited:
Wow, congrats. Really looking forward to reading about your success.

Like some of the others here, I looked into it as well but turned around b/c of the financial commitment. IIRC, a Quaife unit was going for around 14k a few years ago.

I commend you and have nothing but the best wishes for your race program. :)

Awesome. Jealous.

Unfortunately it probably won't handle 800whp+ and 600lb-ft torque + but should be AWESOME on an N/A application.

I'm looking forward to seeing some in-car footage of it installed on track.

To be fair Billy there aren't many gearboxes out there that can!

The car will/should be having its first run on the 13th (rather ominously...) so hopefully will get some footage on that day.

We have a similar setup with a Quaife/Geartronics in the Elise, but i can't wait to try it in the NSX. Especially as Hewland is known for reliability whereas Quaife isn't too good.

Cheers guys.

The test day went fairly well, we had issues with braking and understeer but the sequential was awesome! It sounds fantastic and the short gearing (it tops out at 140mph) makes it feel like it has about 500bhp!

We have our first race this weekend so will share the video coverage afterwards...

People might be interested in our new front wings too, they are 1/2 inch wider and taller.

P1070475.jpg

P1070469.jpg

P1070510DARK.jpg

The test day went fairly well, we had issues with braking and understeer but the sequential was awesome! It sounds fantastic and the short gearing (it tops out at 140mph) makes it feel like it has about 500bhp!

We have our first race this weekend so will share the video coverage afterwards...

People might be interested in our new front wings too, they are 1/2 inch wider and taller.

P1070475.jpg

P1070469.jpg

P1070510DARK.jpg

Car looks good Rob. As you appear to be at Snetterton was that flat out down the back straight?

Look forward to seeing it at Castle Coombe. How does one achieve a passenger ride?:smile:

Well spotted Hagasan, it is indeed Snetterton and yes, we are touching on the limiter at the back straight. I'm not entirely sure how we will do passenger rides, as time is limited. I think it will be a charity raffle, but of course if there are any spare slots then it will be first come first served i guess! Paul on NSXB is trying to negotiate extra track time on our behalf so all NSXCB members can get a ride...

The sequential sounds awesome, with the overlay of the induction kit it is an incredible noise! The very light flywheel means you get the classic race car WAP WAP WAP when revving it too, it revs so quickly! Just need a decent exhaust as the noise is all inside at the moment.

Update please. :smile:

To be fair Billy there aren't many gearboxes out there that can!

The car will/should be having its first run on the 13th (rather ominously...) so hopefully will get some footage on that day.

We have a similar setup with a Quaife/Geartronics in the Elise, but i can't wait to try it in the NSX. Especially as Hewland is known for reliability whereas Quaife isn't too good.

Cheers guys.

Getrag's SMGII units in the E46M3 have been holding up very well to s/c'd & turbo'd M3s makin in upwards of 500+hp.

Not the same as racing though, is it? Someone tried running a stock engined M3 CSL in my series and retired because of gearbox issues. Most BMWs here would run Drenths..

Sorry for the lack of update. The race was very eventful, we had a lot of overheating issues so i haven't put pressure on the team to get the vid ready! As soon as it's done, i'll post it up...

Cheers
Rob

Not the same as racing though, is it? Someone tried running a stock engined M3 CSL in my series and retired because of gearbox issues. Most BMWs here would run Drenths..

Sorry for the lack of update. The race was very eventful, we had a lot of overheating issues so i haven't put pressure on the team to get the vid ready! As soon as it's done, i'll post it up...

Cheers
Rob
Any of the issues associated with the transmission have been related to the hydraulic pump not the actual transmission which is still a traditional 6-speed. If you know of further detail, please share.

Also, looking forward to your vids.

Back