• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone know NSX gearboxes well? Advice appreciated

I think I will have to pursue the builder in the first case....
From the juristic point of view you have to PROVE your gearbox rebuilder that he did something wrong and that he caused the costs of pulling the gearbox a second time. Let me tell you that this is a mission nearly impossible. It's not guessing, it's prooving. You fail to prove it esp. as he denies having done anything wrong.
Of course, the gearbox builder should not send you a second bill for opening the transmission case but your shop will charge you for the second time pulling the gearbox. How much is it? You can try to pursue your gearbox builder that he takes over even a part of the costs but if you're not lucky just pay it and forget it. Be happy that the problem is resolved.

As Larry mentioned more than one party involved is critical in that kind of jobs.

It's the usual first answer to deny. Some of them react if you pay them a 'Rambo'-like visit. :D

as Larry said you will have to eat the second install.at least the trannie builder fixed his first error ...going after him will just add more fustration to your life,but heck if you have free time and like to argue have at it.:wink:

From my limited experience working on cars, motorcycles, trucks etc for 50+ years---when a transmission pops out of a gear---any gear---it is typically caused by: poor engagement, worn gears, worn shift forks, linkage adjustment, syncro issues. In a transmission with little usage (under 50k miles for example) that someone has opened after the factory build--99% of the time, a pop-out is due to incorrect assembly or incorrect parts replacement. That said--without watching the technician--how can you prove it?
HOWEVER, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH POSTING WHO OPENED THE TRANS--WHO REPLACED PARTS---AND WHO REASSEMBLED THE TRANSMISSION. The management of that company should step up to the problem and re-imburse you for your expense but that would take class. You may not be able to take legal action but there is nothing illegal or unethical with sharing you experience, your opinion, and your recommendations. A negative experience is much more damaging then a small claims court settlement to a company that depends on customer recommendations. Huck

From my limited experience working on cars, motorcycles, trucks etc for 50+ years---when a transmission pops out of a gear---any gear---it is typically caused by: poor engagement, worn gears, worn shift forks, linkage adjustment, syncro issues. In a transmission with little usage (under 50k miles for example) that someone has opened after the factory build--99% of the time, a pop-out is due to incorrect assembly or incorrect parts replacement. That said--without watching the technician--how can you prove it?
HOWEVER, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH POSTING WHO OPENED THE TRANS--WHO REPLACED PARTS---AND WHO REASSEMBLED THE TRANSMISSION. The management of that company should step up to the problem and re-imburse you for your expense but that would take class. You may not be able to take legal action but there is nothing illegal or unethical with sharing you experience, your opinion, and your recommendations. A negative experience is much more damaging then a small claims court settlement to a company that depends on customer recommendations. Huck

Hi Huck, thanks for your comments....

I've deliberately chosen not to name the company for two reasons. Firstly I wanted to give them the chance to rectfy the fault and re-imburse me. Secondly I don't want to jeopardize my case if I have to take legal action by directly creating what they might claim to be slander....

It's looking like they won't willing accept responsibility so I will pursue through the small claims. Several people on here as well as elsewhere have given me valuable information and I thank you all....

Is that the same NSX "experts" that put engine oil in another NSXCB member's car gearbox a few years back??? I suspect so. Glad all is well now.

I received an email yesterday from the gearbox company saying that they will refund my rebuild costs that they charged first time (there was no charge for the second attempt). While it's slightly less than the costs of the removal and refitting after being reworked it's close enough to feel satisfied with the outcome if a little streesful....

I've accepted the offer although I've yet to receive the money, at least they have offered in writing.....

Last edited:
Lucky you! :) Such stories often end with a different outcome.
I hope you enjoy your 6-speed.

Got my refund a few days ago, Not the actual cost of the refit but their charge on the initial gearbox rebuild...was about $50 less but all things considered at least I wasn't drastically out of pocket....Just waitng on my reverse lockout solenoid controller from Japan and all will be sweet.....Not keen on driving all the time having to be super cautious about snicking into 5th & 6th. Can't wait to drive the car when I know reverse will be completely locked out.....

Hey that's good to hear. From a business standpoint if they had just up front paid the cost you would be singing songs about how the shop took care of you. Instead, for $50, I'm guessing you will not be recommending anybody go near that shop. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I'm glad to hear that in the end you didn't have to pay some horrible fees for this :smile:

Back