• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Seriously, how often do you redline?

Gotcha!
biggrin.gif

(I've seen Andie drive his NSX on the track and I'm pretty sure he was kidding.)

Well from my experience, driving the car without taking it through the FULL range is WORSE than running the car. Parking the car is EVEN WORSE (that means the garage queens)!! 80% of engine wear is at the initial start-up of the motor. As long as you keep up with the maintenance and changing the fluids on a normal basis, you shouldn't have any problems. As for me and red lines....
biggrin.gif
I believe I bought a "sportscar' not a minivan (even though I would redline that too)
cool.gif

------------------
Kenji Ligon
91 Red CTSC NSX

[This message has been edited by Attitude Adjuster (edited 19 November 2001).]

When I lived downtown, I used to shift at 3500rpms because the car got so loud and people would stop and stare.

Things changed when Larry at NSX Modified took me for a driving lesson in my own car (now that's customer service) and told me to stop babying the car. He also told me that if I didn't get on it once in a while that I'd foul the plugs or something, but don't take my word on this since I can't remember exactly what he said.

Two weeks later when Mark Basch had completed my 90,000 mile service along with timing belt and spark plugs, he showed me the old plugs and said that they were the most fouled plugs that he had ever seen.

Life hasn't been better since I saw the light.

BTW, Larry Garcia and Mark Basch are the two greatest guys I've had the privilege to deal with. A million thumbs up to the two and thanks for taking care of The Princess.

W

Originally posted by SNDSOUL:
I hit redline with every drive, it just seems like every time I get in the car I have yahoos in Mustangs, Vettes and Z-28's wanting to race. street racing is big around here and every one with an exhaust and stickers is John Force. to my surprise I'm constantly being harrassed by trucks??? since when are they fast? oh well?

Why is it that these guys like to drive next to us and rev there sick disgusting sounding engines at us. I take my NSX to redline only on occasion but feel I still open her up enough to keep her happy (and ever now and again to put those annoying American cars in there place). I have said it before and I will say it again for all the wannabee NASCARs "My car wasn't built to drag race against refrigerators with a big clumsy engine on four wheels!" I think Honda's engineers and a more refined goal.

As for the rednecks: Well they mostly mess with me cuz I am a black guy (mixed really from Jamaica) with a white girlfriend; and Oooh does that piss them off.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by W:

When I lived downtown, I used to shift at 3500rpms because the car got so loud and people would stop and stare.

Things changed when Larry at NSX Modified took me for a driving lesson in my own car (now that's customer service) and told me to stop babying the car. He also told me that if I didn't get on it once in a while that I'd foul the plugs or something, but don't take my word on this since I can't remember exactly what he said.

Two weeks later when Mark Basch had completed my 90,000 mile service along with timing belt and spark plugs, he showed me the old plugs and said that they were the most fouled plugs that he had ever seen.

Life hasn't been better since I saw the light.

BTW, Larry Garcia and Mark Basch are the two greatest guys I've had the privilege to deal with. A million thumbs up to the two and thanks for taking care of The Princess.

W

Driving the car at low rpm speed can also cause carbon build up. BMW said in their manual to take their cars to high rpm from time to time to clean the build up.

When a lot of people think that they taking good care of their cars by baby-ing them and not rev-ing high, they can actually wear out the car performance even worse.

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 20 November 2001).]

I disagree, Andrie...

If you rev the engine up high, you are making it run too hot. I think Honda gives all these VTEC motors high rev limits just as a marketing gimmick...I don't think these engines can take it...not one bit. I advise everyone to keep their revs under 5600rpm like I do, and ONLY get that high if you really need to...otherwise, shift at 3500rpm if you want to have your NSX running for many years to come.

Andie

Okie, okie...I was faking it...I beat the shit out of my NSX every damn day. :)

[This message has been edited by HomeDepotNSX (edited 20 November 2001).]

Originally posted by Lud:
Yeah, it causes accelerated wear to everything. You should go easy on the throttle until the car is FULLY warmed up, which typically means 15-20 minutes of normal driving in an NSX.

15-20 minutes is about right. Why is this car so cold blooded?

97-T

Almost 18 years between posts, this thread takes forever to warm up.

gotta give some props to RobM......clever...........:biggrin:

I miss Andrie

Back