• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shallow mount 10" subs

TURBO2GO said:
if you don't mind... :biggrin:

11 pounds.... man its heavy... isn't there anything lighter? you guys be slowin' me down... OK flame suit is on...

Do you have a preference for what brand of TP to use?

Enough of that "too heavy" bullshit. Are you racing your car 99% of time or driving it on the road and enjoying it? if you're worried about a few pounds, go on a damn diet. :)

TURBO2GO said:
Finaly Hal! yes, thank you.... how heavy is this SWS10? can't we get a sub with neodymium magnets? I am a focal home dealer if need be I am pretty sure I can get a set of killer subs for everyone at a cheap cost.

Please, can we try to keep this one light as well?

It will be light due to the material and the size.
We will see!

The challenge with subs is the air space required to have them perform correctly. If you used a decent 8", that would be the lightest.

Hugh said:
Do you have a preference for what brand of TP to use?

Enough of that "too heavy" bullshit. Are you racing your car 99% of time or driving it on the road and enjoying it? if you're worried about a few pounds, go on a damn diet. :)

Charmin... :biggrin:

Hey man, I am trying to lighten my car by 100-200 pounds... and cutting wherever I can. Its like telling a chick "just have this ice cream, this one isn't going to hurt you".

You must cut any place that you can! :tongue:

zetoolman said:
It will be light due to the material and the size.
We will see!

The challenge with subs is the air space required to have them perform correctly. If you used a decent 8", that would be the lightest.

I am just saying when looking at subs for this, please let weight also be one of the criteria... if two are close in performance, let it be the lighter one. I am not stuck on brand. I think there are a lot of good subs out there. Anything using Neodymium is generally lighter...

I am OK with 8". Perhaps D'ecosse or malibu rapper can chime in with something that meets these criteria. power won't be an issue. Alpine makes some nice classs D amps that are light, small, and have plenty of power.

How about this woofer. Its light... and the best 8" out there:

http://www.utopia-be.com/Products/21WX.htm

My current custom box has a JL 8W3v2 in it and sounds great. The sub weighs 7lbs. Light enough for you? If you really want to save weight and not compromise on creature comforts and become an obsessive parts remover just fill your gas tank half way. 9 gallons of gasoline weighs about 55lbs. And since the tankl is in back, this will also improve the car's weight bias.

Hugh said:
My current custom box has a JL 8W3v2 in it and sounds great. The sub weighs 7lbs. Light enough for you? If you really want to save weight and not compromise on creature comforts and become an obsessive parts remover just fill your gas tank half way. 9 gallons of gasoline weighs about 55lbs. And since the tankl is in back, this will also improve the car's weight bias.

I already do this Hugh! I am at the gas station every other day pumping in $9 worth of gas... I tell the attendant I can't afford anymore after the car payments and he laughs...

7 pounds, eh? .... hmmmm.... no... not good enough.... you need to do better. :biggrin:

zetoolman said:
It looks like that 8 is to big to fit a shallow box!

Hal what do we have for depth? I really like the Focal sub...

zetoolman said:
I am working on the new factory replacement set up. I do not know what we will have! It will not be much!

As long as it's enough for the shallow mount SWS-10 sub and has about 0.4 cubic feet I'll be a very happy camper

Hugh said:
As long as it's enough for the shallow mount SWS-10 sub and has about 0.4 cubic feet I'll be a very happy camper

I need one for test fit and completing the box. Can you send me yours in stead of having it shipped to you?

Or can you get me one or let me know where you found the best price?

zetoolman said:
I need one for test fit and completing the box. Can you send me yours in stead of having it shipped to you?

Or can you get me one or let me know where you found the best price?

It's already on it's way to me but let me know if you can't find one and I can let you borrow it for a R&D purposes. :)

Well, since Zeman couldn't use my 8" box to make a mold he returned it to me. I re-installed the JL 8W back in the car and it actually sounds great like it always did.

So now I have this SWS-10 sitting on a shelf waiting for a "behind the carpet" box to throw it in. Will it end up sounding better than the 8" JL? Onlytime will tell. :)

Hugh,

For what it's worth, I had a JL 8W6 in the prototype toolbox. It sounded fine but a little rough at high volumes. I modified the toolbox by reducing the volume and put in the SWS-10. It was an improvement in leg room and sound quality IMO.

I'd say go for it and replace the JL with the SWS-10. If you run high volume (hmmm, just guessing you do based on your musical tastes) I think you will like the change.

Shaun

Back