• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shift knobs

I prefer the type R knob. But then I'm an old muscle-car type.

I love the Gruppe M knob!

Every single time I get in the car, I am reminded of how much better it feels, and how much nicer my gearbox feels with it. I got it as a gift and when I opened it up and saw how small it was, I was really dissapointed. I figured for sure it was not the knob I would want. I even called Chris at SOS and posted here to see what people thought. All that changed once I put it in the car.

It fits my hand perfectly. It sits waaay lower than my stock knob making the throw of the shift feel shorter, and it looks really cool with the mesh/carbon fiber boot too. I will take some pics of it as soon as it stops raining here (ie- when I take the car out next)and post them to this thread. I can honestly say if you are worried about the size of the knob on the Gruupe M...Don't! You'll love it.
Aaron

cmarsh90 said:
Why do u prefer the Type R knob?

It reminds me of the old round shift knobs everybody (who didn't have one of the Hurst T handles) used way-back-when.

The GruppeM feels great, and I love how much lower it sits vs. the stock knob. If you're worried about heat, you can always get a custom cover made for it at an upholstery shop that you can slip over it while it's exposed to the sunlight.

Veleno said:
The GruppeM feels great, and I love how much lower it sits vs. the stock knob. If you're worried about heat, you can always get a custom cover made for it at an upholstery shop that you can slip over it while it's exposed to the sunlight.

Good idea to cover it with something. Heat is surely an issue - I can't count how many times I've branded myself on the DOHC emblem on the console.

just bought the SOS rapid shift knob....very satisfied and good looking, IMO.....

it brings another level of excitement of driving the X!

hey guys... post those pics!! (especially aaronR) :)
i have a c/f integra type r knob (came with the car) that i'm about ready to get rid of for something smaller. i'm thinking the gruppe m knob with the type r mesh boot at the moment.

SOS rapid shift knob

Here is a pic of the SOS Rapid Shift Knob in Satin finish. The flash made it look very white(it was done at night with a spotlight directly on it. I'll take more pics in the daylight). It actually matches the satin chrome you see on the center console very well. I swear that the threads are about to poke thru, it sits so low on the shaft. Compared to the stock knob, I would say it lowers it at least an inch and gives you a much shorter shift throw. It feels like this is the way the car should have come. I have no problem with heat on the knob with tinted windows. Thanks Chris, another great product!

fc017517.jpg

Last edited:
Zanardi shift knob with mesh boot...

Just another variant as well as a pic of the "clips" that hold the stock knob in place.

I drove an NSX with a short shifter (GruppeM) and it looks great, but I just happen to like the shift knob at stock height. Personal preference, thats all.

I ended up using the mesh/carbon fibre boot because otherwise, the boot does not connect right up to the knob unless you rig something up with a plastic wire tie (see pic of stock knob below)

If the SOS knob with the "clip" was available last year, I probably would have considered it.

Rick
Florida

Attachments

• zanardi_sml2.jpg
    zanardi_sml2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,262
well... i guess i'll be posting a pic of the SOS rapid shift knob with the type r carbon mesh boot in a few days. my stupid integra type r knob broke off on tuesday when i was trying to tighten it.
perfect timing on this thread guys!!

Rick (RL In Florida) wrote:

I ended up using the mesh/carbon fibre boot because otherwise, the boot does not connect right up to the knob unless you rig something up with a plastic wire tie (see pic of stock knob below)

---------

Well there is a much simpler solution. Buy a large black plastic oil funnel from any auto parts retail, even better get it from one of those dollar an item stores (that is what I did), cut about 1.25" to 1.5" of the tip/mouth using a PVC cutter, smooth the cut edge with a filer or sand paper, invert it (inverted cone shape now) and slide over the shaft, the width of the base will cover the metal loop of the boot which is now pushed down and sitting flat. Screw the knob. Perfect fit.

If you want further refinement, you can further sand the entire plastic piece to remove the two thin lines that show the molding process (at least on the one that I got), and paint it. I didn't because it was not necessary, the black color matched better with the boot and the shift knob .............. also, you don't have to mess with taking the center console apart to reach the boot to put a zip tie .......

Totals cost: parts $1.08 with sales tax. Labor time: 30 minutes as I experminted with different cut sizes ...........

I just noticed a 2nd NSX-R type knob on the SOS site. Has that always been there? It's the TAITEC NSX-R knob which is almost the same as the 'other' knob, except that it doesn't have the 6-speed pattern on it. It also doesn't look quite as well finished - looks like they stopped the polishing a little early. Has anyone seen this in Real Life?

You guys are bad.

You guys made me buy one.

My virgin/stock NSX will no longer be stock after my shift-knob. =)

I'm not really into these things either... but I hate how "high" the shift knob sits on a stock NSX. You guys convinced me with all the pictures and comments. The added benefit of shorter throws is a huge plus! Not to mention it looks so damn cool! (I got a SoS Rapid Shift Knob Polished.)

Thanks a lot... jeez. :D

supergreen125 said:
hey guys... post those pics!! (especially aaronR) :)
i

Sorry, It's been nasty here so I haven't had the car out of the garage in a few days. (it should only get wet during a washing you know.....) I tried to take some pics in the garage, but my car is a coupe so they came out dark or way overflashed. I'll try again today when I get home.
Aaron

optimist said:
I just noticed a 2nd NSX-R type knob on the SOS site. Has that always been there? It's the TAITEC NSX-R knob which is almost the same as the 'other' knob, except that it doesn't have the 6-speed pattern on it. It also doesn't look quite as well finished - looks like they stopped the polishing a little early. Has anyone seen this in Real Life?

Now I'm quoting myself, good grief.

Anyone know if the 'other' SoS NSX-R type knob (the non titanium one) has the 6-speed pattern on it? It doesn't say so, but ya never know.

Anyone know if the 'other' SoS NSX-R type knob (the non titanium one) has the 6-speed pattern on it? It doesn't say so, but ya never know.

I just Received my SOS NSX-R type knob Today it dose not have any shifting pattern in it .

Last edited:
shift knobs

gotta say that i like the SOS knobs alot but want to consider something with more color possibilites. any nsxers with momo knobs and how the heck do people get the factory boot to stay on without the clips for other knobs.

btw...hrant....very creative!

thanx

Back