• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I go to a *warmer* heat range for a spark plug?

I have the 7 NKG BKR7EIX-11 and I checked my plugs and they are fairly carbon fouled. This is the 2nd time in the last couple of years.

I know one of the major contributing factors is too rich, and being that it's been cold here and the car has AEM etc... I know that is a major factor.

However, doing a little bit more research, I found that one of the other possible contributing factors *could* be that it's too cold of a range...

In the winter, my SC barely gets warm enough so that it's hot too the touch. In fact without 30+ minute of spirited driving, it stays pretty cool.

I don't think I have a heat issue. I know I am running rich, but wil I hurt anything if I run a warmer plug in these conditioins?

It's not practical for me to get a retun in the Winter.

Thanks.

I have the 7 NKG BKR7EIX-11 and I checked my plugs and they are fairly carbon fouled. This is the 2nd time in the last couple of years.

I know one of the major contributing factors is too rich, and being that it's been cold here and the car has AEM etc... I know that is a major factor.

However, doing a little bit more research, I found that one of the other possible contributing factors *could* be that it's too cold of a range...

In the winter, my SC barely gets warm enough so that it's hot too the touch. In fact without 30+ minute of spirited driving, it stays pretty cool.

I don't think I have a heat issue. I know I am running rich, but wil I hurt anything if I run a warmer plug in these conditioins?

Thanks.

Is your car tuned? I would change them only if you are sure there will be no detonation occuring inside engine.

Is your car tuned? I would change them only if you are sure there will be no detonation occuring inside engine.

Yes - but the spark plugs give an indicator of the tune. And carbon-fouled means too rich.

What I'm thinking about doing is run a colder in the spring/summer and warmer in the fall/winter (as low as 30F and less)

Yes - but the spark plugs give an indicator of the tune. And carbon-fouled means too rich.

What I'm thinking about doing is run a colder in the spring/summer and warmer in the fall/winter (as low as 30F and less)

In order to properly diagnose spark plugs is that you run the car hard like rolling start in 2nd gear to redline, shut off the car and pull out the spark plugs to check. I think your car runs too rich on part throttle map and you may need to retune you car on part throttle side. How does your car run with cold water temperature? hesitates?

Thanks.

wow, 11's :) im all the way down to 8's now...

on B and K series honda engines, 7s are just fine with fi. i'm thinking where you are is cool all the time and fi friendly. go back to 6s and see, but it does sound more like tune is off. i think that 7s will run even in a properly tuned n/a car, they would just give very poor cold start and cold running until up to temp. but sw is FAR different than NE. do you have wideband in the car? that would help a lot to know what the engine is seeing under boost as far a/f ratios. also, i think 2nd is too short a time. 3rd is min and 4th is better, but you run into safety issues trying to read the plugs. finally, winter and summer tunes should be a fact of life when you want max performance. this, perhaps after emissions, is the biggest reason why tuners get power from stock cars. tuning for your region only can be a huge advantage. do you think john force uses the same tune for englishtown, nj as he does for pomona, ca????? if you don't like all this back and forth, then, and i'm not being a dick, you should have left it stock.

Back