• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

should I leave my NSX running?

If I recall, there is a possible problem with catalytic converters overheating if the the car is left idling for a significant period of time. Of course, if you are parked on grass or other combustible material, you could have a fire. That would probably shorten your engine life.:eek:

Gary

It is illegal to leave your car running unattended in NE as well.

I would be too concerned somebody would see an NSX sitting there looking lonely and figure out a way to get behind the wheel and weeeeeeeeeeeee! off to the races and a very fun spirited drive.

As far as start up wear and tear. I would believe this would be minimal, but I'm not an expert. I would rather risk that over having my NSX wonder off.

My cousin was the 2nd car in a left turn lane. The woman in front of him wouldn't pull into the intersection during the green light, and traffic was steady and heavy coming the other way. So when it would turn red, she'd be stuck there again, never having moved. This continued for 3 cycles, and lots of cars were filling up the lane behind her.
Then my cousin got out, tapped on her window, and politely explained that she could pull into the intersection during the green, then turn left as it turned yellow/red. She thanked him, and made her turn on that light. Feeling good about his efficient resolution of the problem, he went back to his truck. Which was locked, and running. So now she was no longer blocking the left turn lane, but he was.

I know I'm gonna get flammed for this.....but how old is the original poster? How did you ever come to own an NSX? Why would any real thinking owner that has any experience with cars in general ask such a question?

Why are any of you guys posting to this seemingly totally lame question in the first place. Is this the guy that got those free tires....lol. I'm sorry but you have to forgive me -I've been driving so long that I would never, ever, leave my car running at all unless it was cold outside, the car needed to warm up and I was in my own car port!

It is unreal to me that anyone would leave a car like this running while they ran into a store? Unreal dude....:cool:

My cousin was the 2nd car in a left turn lane. The woman in front of him wouldn't pull into the intersection during the green light, and traffic was steady and heavy coming the other way. So when it would turn red, she'd be stuck there again, never having moved. This continued for 3 cycles, and lots of cars were filling up the lane behind her.
Then my cousin got out, tapped on her window, and politely explained that she could pull into the intersection during the green, then turn left as it turned yellow/red. She thanked him, and made her turn on that light. Feeling good about his efficient resolution of the problem, he went back to his truck. Which was locked, and running. So now she was no longer blocking the left turn lane, but he was.

Thanks Cap'n, you just made my day. :biggrin:

Great story Cap'n! That is really funny - sorry for your cousin though! Next time I bet he lays on the horn! :rolleyes::biggrin: LOL

Then my cousin got out, tapped on her window, and politely explained that she could pull into the intersection during the green, then turn left as it turned yellow/red. She thanked him, and made her turn on that light. Feeling good about his efficient resolution of the problem, he went back to his truck. Which was locked, and running. So now she was no longer blocking the left turn lane, but he was. And guess who was stuck behind him for 45 minutes? gdae!

Just kiddin'. Poor guy.
:biggrin:

If i'm at 7-11 and i'm going to be in there for lets say 5 mins, should I leave my nsx running or should I kill the engine or does it even matter?

I'm not sure if Insurance would cover your car if you leave her running at 7-11 and its stolen or damaged from joy riders. Might be better to leave the door open with the keys in the ignition at a parking lot if you want it gone.:biggrin:

Seriously, how many times have you heard from officers never to leave your car running anywhere?

The only time I walk away from the car running is on warm up, but only when it's in my garage. Sounds pretty risky if you ask me, I wouldnt even leave my dog alone in front of a 7-11

Ok, so we contributers are on the second page of this most inane thread and where is the OP???? I believe we have shamed the boy into total obscurity by now. If not he must have sold his NSX or maybe it got stolen before he could really digest the "most important" answers we gave him! Now he's walking around wondering why oh why did I leave those keys in my car while it was running while I got some beer and Skoal.....:rolleyes:

You know the guys that start silly threads like this - or what I would call "poking the hornets nest" and then just leave never to be heard from again are not much fun are they! I've really got to stop participating in absolutely rediculous question threads like this but it is sooooooooo hard! :wink:

i'm so hurt. op please close the thread. these people are just too mean. i'm so embarrassed about my post. I don't think i'm ever going to post again.

Last edited:
Don't be embarrassed by your post. Some folks like to poke fun at others.

If you are concerned with engine wear due to start up then you might want to consider an accusump. Having said that, the most engine wear occurs during a cold start, when the oil has drained into the pan. During a warm re-start, there is still oil coating the cylinder walls.

Are you using a synthetic oil? They say the molecular structure of synthetics tend to stay attached to the cylinder walls longer. Not sure that is true, but there are tons of threads on oils discussing such theories.

Jason, I want to apologize for my bashing/thrashing due to the nature of how you posed the question. We on this site are of all ages and have all kinds of backgrounds and sometimes a post like yours just hits a "funny bone" and I usually don't just bash someone like this so badly. So I want to make ammends here. Don't take me so seriously and laugh it off. Sorry I offended you. I did post several times and poked a lot of fun at you - which I guess was totally embarrasing to you.

You have to think though that some of us live in big cities - I live in Atlanta - I'm 60 years old - my tolerance level for some questions is perhaps lower than it should be. But in a big city with locations that are not safe it is hard for me to understand why anyone these days would leave their car running for a short time unattended. You may live in a northern climate and have very harsh winters and stop at the same little store everyday on the way to work and drive your car in the winter, etc. and there is little worry about crime. Good for you - a small town can foster that kind of driving - where you know everyone - I have no idea.

You didn't frame your question very well now did you? Big D had to read between the lines a bit - he's a little sensitive now since he's lost his best friend - his NSX - he sold it. We all feel for him and likewise he's feeling a little more kindly now. So don't get your feelings too hurt and continue to post and grow with this site. We are a great family of support, oh, and don't think I haven't been flamed here.....

Good luck to you and if you don't live in a small town or in an area you are just absolutely feeling safe about - don't leave your car running for those few minutes - it's really not going to make that much difference anyway to warm up!

All the best - again please accept my apology.

Last edited:
tbromley- I too was just joking around. Was trying to give you the reaction you wanted. best part is Big D answered my question perfectly.

tbromley- I too was just joking around. Was trying to give you the reaction you wanted. best part is Big D answered my question perfectly.

Well now you know I have a conscience.....:rolleyes: But don't expect a lot more slack....lol! :biggrin:

If i'm at 7-11 and i'm going to be in there for lets say 5 mins, should I leave my nsx running or should I kill the engine or does it even matter?

Yes...you should leave it running. You should also tell me which 7-11 and what time you'll be there.

Back