• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I own an NSX in the City of Chicago

I am pondering getting an NSX soon and one of my dilemmas before pulling the trigger is where I will store it. I live in the city of Chicago and I am of course aware of the attraction you get driving these cars. I wonder how many of you live in Chicago proper, and if so what you recommendation on neighborhood and storage. My main concern would be theft and vandalism.

I live in San Francisco and hardly get a look. I live in a high rise and the car is parked six floors below street level at the bottom of a secure garage. I don't have a problem with it being parked there.

I had my first NSX when I lived in Scotland. There were only 13 of them when I lived there and only 300 in the entire UK. There was an attempted theft of the car when it was parked in my driveway. When I asked the police why someone would attempt to steal such an obvious car, I was told it was a professional group and it was headed to a container for overseas shipment.:eek:

I would be more concerned about your weather.

Where exactly in Chicago do you live and do you have a garage? If you are in a relatively nice northside neighborhood or downtown, I wouldn't be concerned. But, there is no way I would have an NSX unless I had access to a garage or secured parking space. Also, it's probably not the best idea to get low profile tires if you are driving around too much, you will need some extra cushion for all the pot holes.

I am currently in Logan Square and will definitely NOT get one while I am there even with my garage. I will be moving this fall, probably to Jefferson Park and will have a garage. I am not sure I am ready to move to the suburbs even if it means having the car in a nice safe spot.

I've owned mine in the city for nearly 3 years, most of the time in the Lincoln Square area. Never had a problem. Hopefully you can get a garage that is attached or at least close enough to wear you sleep so you can hear the alarm go off. I would also get a garage that is your own...and not shared. People's bikes and other property get jacked all the time because their NEIGHBOR left the door open. Ask the landlord if you can put an extra security measure on the door..like a lock so the thieves can't push it up with a floor jack.

The car does get attn, but probably not as much as you think. When I drive to the burbs I get way more looks, comments, etc. There is just more going on in the city in general for people to just be looking at you. This is a good thing.

Obviously, parking on the street is a huge no no....ever. The new ticket company is walking into private lots and writing tickets. Just got a $200 one for tint, and it's not even close to limo.

Above all though, the real issue for me has been worrying about it wherever I go. You will find yourself stressing out about checking out of the grocery store as fast as you can so nobody dings you. That goes for every parking situation. This is the worst part for me.

There are owners I have met who live in NYNY.I know of an individual who kept his car outside in the Bronx:eek: As a city owner of any car be prepared for the added expense of parking.You can't be too anal about dings.It can be done.

I have had my own garage for the last 7 years in the city, so no problem there. I do remember in my old neighborhood Uk Village, there was a guy who had a few toys in his garage including a 911 and a Land Rover. I will just have to see what is on the market when I move into the new place.

Back