• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I sell my '03 NSX to an export company?

I've had my NSX up for sale for about two months and I have an offer for
$70K from this export company who will ship it to Taiwan to an awaiting buyer. I'm in no rush to sell and the reason I'm selling it is because I've been on the wait list for an F430 for over two years and my dealer says my name should come up in '07 or early '08 if I'm lucky. This is my third NSX and all the others I've sold privately sold in about a year because of the high price I'm asking. I didn't think the car would sell so quickly, even though it has only 4500 miles and is in flawless condition. The reason I'm hesitant on selling is that I will be w/o a sports car for over a year and I'm hesitant on having my car shipped overseas, I rather have it stay locally and sold to an enthusiast whom I can stay in touch with. The reasons to sell now I feel is because the car will be liquid so if an F430 comes up which I like I can act immediately. Also $70K is pretty close to my asking price so I don't know if I'll get such an offer when I really do need to sell it. Any suggestions will be most helpful. Thanks.

CChung said:
I've had my NSX up for sale for about two months and I have an offer for
$70K from this export company who will ship it to Taiwan to an awaiting buyer. I'm in no rush to sell and the reason I'm selling it is because I've been on the wait list for an F430 for over two years and my dealer says my name should come up in '07 or early '08 if I'm lucky. This is my third NSX and all the others I've sold privately sold in about a year because of the high price I'm asking. I didn't think the car would sell so quickly, even though it has only 4500 miles and is in flawless condition. The reason I'm hesitant on selling is that I will be w/o a sports car for over a year and I'm hesitant on having my car shipped overseas, I rather have it stay locally and sold to an enthusiast whom I can stay in touch with. The reasons to sell now I feel is because the car will be liquid so if an F430 comes up which I like I can act immediately. Also $70K is pretty close to my asking price so I don't know if I'll get such an offer when I really do need to sell it. Any suggestions will be most helpful. Thanks.

The longer you wait to sell the less the car will be worth. You might be able to get that selling it in the spring and you might not. Always go with the firm offer even if your w/o for awhile. It will make the next car that much nicer:biggrin:

Sell it. You don't really need a sports car, just get a decent car and wait for the Ferrari. I didn't realize the wait was so long.

If it was any other car, I'd say sell it. But I wouldn't recommend it in your case, because even a year from now most likely you will get the same amount of money for the NSX. Please do not forget they are not making any more NSX's. A year or possibly longer to be without anything, is really going to suck for you. Trust me. You'll be clammering to get something until the F430 arrives, and if you make yet another transaction, you will increase your chances of money lost.

Bottom line is this... most cars are pigs that you have to get rid of when you get a good offer. The NSX now is an out of production limited supply jewel. You aren't doing yourself any favors by handing it over to someone at this point in time. Wait til the F430 gets here, then sell the NSX. You won't have any problems finding a buyer.

I know I am disagreeing with the others here... but you can't be too hurting for money... so even if (which i don't think will happen) you lose a thousand or two on the NSX selling it a year from now, it will be the cheapest exotic car rental you ever had.

Sell it and get the money up front. If you're worried about not having something fun to drive while you wait for the F car, buy a used _________ (whatever) and sell it when you have to.

If you want visiting rights, get a dog.

DaveG

If you do sell it to the exporter, please send me a PM. I'm loosely tracking the NSXs in Taiwan, and at some point in the future, may be interested in buying one to drive in Taiwan.

If you sell it to me, you can always come visit the car here in Taiwan. And you too, Ben! Hehe. What color is it? -Rob

CChung said:
...I'm in no rush to sell and the reason I'm selling it is because I've been on the wait list for an F430 for over two years and my dealer says my name should come up in '07 or early '08 if I'm lucky...

I know this question is a little bit off-topic, but if you don't mind my asking: I've been thinking of getting on a waiting list for an F430 but only if I could purchase it at close to SRP, not at the grossly inflated prices that new and used ones seem to be selling for on eBay and elsewhere.

So my questions are: Did the Ferrari dealer sell it to you for SRP, or some amount over SRP? How much of a deposit did he require?

Thanks for any information that you can provide.

Well, it's gone. The export company just drove off with it just about five minutes ago. They offered me a bit more than previously to tip me over the edge. Thanks everyone for your responses. Boy, Thanksgiving and Christmas will be harsh this year. The only comforting thing to come out of this is that I don't have to rashly sell my car when the right car come along, I can pull the trigger immediately.

John, nice hearing from you! The transaction went as smooth as can be. They wired the funds to my bank account and, after verifying the funds have been deposited into my account, I handed them the title and the keys to the car.

Turbo2go, I agree with everything you said and you made a lot of sense. But I felt I needed the car liquid so if a F430 becomes available locally I can act on it right away without having to worry about selling my NSX. Although I could still get the F430 w/o selling my NSX, I can't justify having two sports cars at the same time and I don't have the garage space w/o kicking one of my cars outside. These guys offered me more for the car than anyone else w/o any hassles.

Gramps, with the low mileage it appears it is a garage queen but I drove it every weekend but just not very far.

As far as the questions about getting on the wait list for an F430, the dealer doesn't take a deposit until they call you and tell you your name is up to spec out your car. Then you know you're getting a car. I am just on the wait list waiting for my name to come up to spec my car up. Unfortunately, they make very few 6-spd coupes, most of them come in F1 but the wait list for the manuals are a lot smaller, most people want the F1. I hear that dealers are not taking anymore names on the wait list because they have more than enough to fulfill their allocations. Some people, perhaps me also, will not get cars before the production run ends. My chances will be good if it goes through 2009, there is a lot of speculation as to when the F430 production run ends. Also, dealers give priority to their best customers. This will be my first Ferrari so I'm sure I'm at the bottom of the totem pole. That's why I may have to get one on the secondary market.

Sorry for the rambling but thanks everyone for responding. I'm already having withdrawl symptoms but hopefully something will come up soon. I've had an NSX in my garage for the past 12 years. As soon as I sold one, I picked up another one the following day! I guess it's time for a change. I'll still visit this forum, out of habit I guess. Thanks again everyone!

Oh man!!....how are we not quite rich guys supposed to get an 03 NSX in a couple years if people are sending them off to Taiwan?:eek: :eek: :wink:

Oh well glad for you that you have space for your next ride..post some pics when you get it home.

zahntech said:
Oh man!!....how are we not quite rich guys supposed to get an 03 NSX in a couple years if people are sending them off to Taiwan?:eek: :eek: :wink:

Hehe, I was thinking the exact opposite, now there's another potential car in the pool for those of us in Taiwan or who may be there in the future. :)

Speaking of rich guys....by the time this car gets to Taiwan, and the new owner is able to have it registered and drive it on the street, it will have cost him in excess of US$140,000 in taxes, shipping, inspections, commissions, and hidden charges.

Ben said:
If you do sell it to the exporter, please send me a PM. I'm loosely tracking the NSXs in Taiwan, and at some point in the future, may be interested in buying one to drive in Taiwan.

Wow, didn't know we have quite a bit of taiwanese nsx owners here. I've always had thoughts of importing my '91 to drive in taiwan when I decide where I want to stay. But for the mean time it's not going anywhere yet.

blackna1 said:
Wow, didn't know we have quite a bit of taiwanese nsx owners here. I've always had thoughts of importing my '91 to drive in taiwan when I decide where I want to stay. But for the mean time it's not going anywhere yet.

Unfortunately, you can't import any car older than 10 years old to Taiwan for on-road use.

Just hope this car ends up in the good hands. I've yet to see an NSX in Taiwan that's in good shape...

NeverHere said:
Just hope this car ends up in the good hands. I've yet to see an NSX in Taiwan that's in good shape...

Agreed - every NSX I've seen in Taiwan up close has had accident history, and in poor state of repair. :frown:

SilverOne said:
Consider the road conditions, not surprised.

Actually, it's not the roads really, they aren't really much worse than any big American city.

It's the fact that parts need to be shipped from overseas, and that finding a mechanic that really knows how to maintain/repair an NSX is difficult. People who don't have connections overseas for parts are often stuck with jury-rigged repairs using parts from other Honda models. For accident repair/bodywork, not many people over there know how to work with Aluminum.

Last edited:
Ben said:
Actually, it's not the roads really, they aren't really much worse than any big American city.

It's the fact that parts need to be shipped from overseas, and that finding a mechanic that really knows how to maintain/repair an NSX is difficult. People who don't have connections overseas for parts are often stuck with jury-rigged repairs using parts from other Honda models.

I thought of the above also. By road condition, I am referring to the motorcycles, bikes, pedestrians, pets, people that crowds the street. i can't imagine anyone maintaining a nice car in Taiwan. I've heard and seen numerous everyday cars being vandalized for no reason.

SilverOne said:
I thought of the above also. By road condition, I am referring to the motorcycles, bikes, pedestrians, pets, people that crowds the street. i can't imagine anyone maintaining a nice car in Taiwan. I've heard and seen numerous everyday cars being vandalized for no reason.

It's not as bad as it seems. As long as you have secure parking at your home and office, and when you go out, park in paid lots (about US$1-2 per hour), you should be fine. I daily drove a Lexus IS300 for 2 years in Taipei/Hsinchu, and it remained ding, dent, and scratch free during the time I had it. :)

Ok, I take that back - in a freak accident during high winds, a plastic tub got blown off someone's high rise apartment balcony, hitting and shattering my rear window, and denting the C-pillar :frown:, but that obviously wasn't due to any road conditions or vandalism.

Last edited:
If you guys are looking for 430s look to Canada! I have a few friends who drive them for 1000kms and then have had enough. I can get you one in a week or two - If you don't mind a few miles. Since the market is smaller its actually easier to pick up a car at MSRP minus.

Speaking of rich guys....by the time this car gets to Taiwan, and the new owner is able to have it registered and drive it on the street, it will have cost him in excess of US$140,000 in taxes, shipping, inspections, commissions, and hidden charges.[/QUOTE]

$140,000 in not going to cut it. Reading the threads, the car was sold for at least $70,000. All the associated costs with importing the car into Taiwan will be 100% of the purchase price. The dealer still need to markup the car to make some profit. Also, there is an exchange rate factor. In my opinion, I think realistically, the selling price in Taiwan will be around $150,000 - $165,000.

Now I am really curious as to the cost of near-new NSX mgiht sell in Taiwan. I have a buddy who exports cars from the US to Taiwan, I will ask him when I see him later this week.

Calvin, get the F1! Race mode is fun..
NewFerrari015.jpg

NewFerrari012.jpg

NewFerrari003.jpg

NewFerrari001.jpg

NewFerrari002.jpg

NewFerrari007.jpg

Back