• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I sell my '03 NSX to an export company?

http://210.85.17.198/~sunjl/new_page_1.htm

CChung said:
I've had my NSX up for sale for about two months and I have an offer for
$70K from this export company who will ship it to Taiwan to an awaiting buyer. I'm in no rush to sell and the reason I'm selling it is because I've been on the wait list for an F430 for over two years and my dealer says my name should come up in '07 or early '08 if I'm lucky. This is my third NSX and all the others I've sold privately sold in about a year because of the high price I'm asking. I didn't think the car would sell so quickly, even though it has only 4500 miles and is in flawless condition. The reason I'm hesitant on selling is that I will be w/o a sports car for over a year and I'm hesitant on having my car shipped overseas, I rather have it stay locally and sold to an enthusiast whom I can stay in touch with. The reasons to sell now I feel is because the car will be liquid so if an F430 comes up which I like I can act immediately. Also $70K is pretty close to my asking price so I don't know if I'll get such an offer when I really do need to sell it. Any suggestions will be most helpful. Thanks.

Last edited:
NSXROC said:
$140,000 in not going to cut it. Reading the threads, the car was sold for at least $70,000. All the associated costs with importing the car into Taiwan will be 100% of the purchase price. The dealer still need to markup the car to make some profit. Also, there is an exchange rate factor. In my opinion, I think realistically, the selling price in Taiwan will be around $150,000 - $165,000.

Now I am really curious as to the cost of near-new NSX mgiht sell in Taiwan. I have a buddy who exports cars from the US to Taiwan, I will ask him when I see him later this week.

Agreed. Note, I said "in excess of" :tongue: I just noticed that the car has less than 10K miles on it, which means that for purposes of import tax, it's considered a new car. It's gonna be much more than US$140K.

A realistic cost breakdown might look like this:

$72K Purchase price
$67.5K Import Tax (at 75%, calculated on $90K sticker price)
$2K (Surface shipping)
$3K (Vehicle inspections)
$3K (Hidden charges)
$7.2K (Exporter/Importer fees, wild guess at 10% of purchase price)
$5K (wild guess at dealer markup)
--------------------------------
$159700 Total

As for the fair market value for a near new NSX, you have to find a buyer. The NSX is not well known in Taiwan, and if you don't find the right buyer, the average person in brand/image conscious Taiwan would rather get a Porsche over a Honda for the same money.

Honda did officially import and sell the NSX in Taiwan in 1997, for one year only. The list price was about US$183K at today's exchange rates. They sold only one, which was the Imola Orange show/demo car they had.

ANYTIME said:
Calvin, get the F1! Race mode is fun..
Alright John. What's the story behind the yellow Spyder?:eek:

Last edited:
tatami said:

How in the world did you find this photo? That is my car with my license plate number! Can you give me any details.

John, actually you can have it in race mode with the 6-spd manual as it comes with the manettino suspension settings also but, of course, it won't control shift speeds as in the F1 tranny. Calvin.

Ben said:
Honda did officially import and sell the NSX in Taiwan in 1997, for one year only. The list price was about US$183K at today's exchange rates.

Really?? Years ago, namely 1991, my uncle was the manager of a Honda dealer in Northern Taiwan and they took orders for the nsx and waited 2+ years to finally get the 1993 for his customer. It was a white one that my uncle drove off the truck (I've even seen the picture of it) and had it in the show room for days before the owner picked it up. Was I just day dreaming or was it some other importing company co-operating with honda to make the sale?

blackna1 said:
Really?? Years ago, namely 1991, my uncle was the manager of a Honda dealer in Northern Taiwan and they took orders for the nsx and waited 2+ years to finally get the 1993 for his customer. It was a white one that my uncle drove off the truck (I've even seen the picture of it) and had it in the show room for days before the owner picked it up. Was I just day dreaming or was it some other importing company co-operating with honda to make the sale?

As far as I know, those weren't Honda official imports. Possibly something the dealer took it upon itself to do, or working through an import company. Back in 1991, the ban on regular imports of Japan built cars hadn't been lifted yet, and self-import rules were very strict as to the age/mileage/ownership of a car. Basically, 1991-1992 cars were purchased here under the names of people eligible to self-import, driven a certain amount of miles, then fluids drained, and stored for 2 years to meet the self-import regulations for age/mileage/ownership. The first cars started arriving in Taiwan in 1993. As far as I know, there is only 1 white one in Taiwan, and it's owned by the son of a wealthy businessman. It was featured in a magazine article around the 2003 timeframe, and it even has some Dali Racing parts on it.

Of course, everything I know is pieced together from various sources, so any new information to the puzzle is welcome. :)

The information about the 1997 car and official import was from my Lexus salesman in Taipei, who used to be a manager at Honda during the SanYang days. I do remember seeing the Imola Orange 1997 car in magazines and show photos though.

Ben said:
As far as I know, those weren't Honda official imports. Possibly something the dealer took it upon itself to do, or working through an import company. Back in 1991, the ban on regular imports of Japan built cars hadn't been lifted yet, and self-import rules were very strict as to the age/mileage/ownership of a car. Basically, 1991-1992 cars were purchased here under the names of people eligible to self-import, driven a certain amount of miles, then fluids drained, and stored for 2 years to meet the self-import regulations for age/mileage/ownership. The first cars started arriving in Taiwan in 1993. As far as I know, there is only 1 white one in Taiwan, and it's owned by the son of a wealthy businessman. It was featured in a magazine article around the 2003 timeframe, and it even has some Dali Racing parts on it.

Of course, everything I know is pieced together from various sources, so any new information to the puzzle is welcome. :)

The information about the 1997 car and official import was from my Lexus salesman in Taipei, who used to be a manager at Honda during the SanYang days. I do remember seeing the Imola Orange 1997 car in magazines and show photos though.

Looks like you know alot about the Taiwan market, may I ask what you do? I will look for picture that I saw way too long ago to find but I will still try, maybe that piece will add to your collection of info :smile:

blackna1 said:
Looks like you know alot about the Taiwan market, may I ask what you do? I will look for picture that I saw way too long ago to find but I will still try, maybe that piece will add to your collection of info :smile:

Work in the technology industry. I'm just an NSX nut who lived in Taipei from 2002-2004. I thouroughly researched bringing my previous white '92 NSX back. I also searched for NSXs that were already there, joined clubs, met owners, etc. There are only about 20 NSXs in all of Taiwan, so it's not too difficult to meet someone in the car circles who knows of a certain car, knows an owner, etc.

Ben said:
Work in the technology industry. I'm just an NSX nut who lived in Taipei from 2002-2004. I thouroughly researched bringing my previous white '92 NSX back. I also searched for NSXs that were already there, joined clubs, met owners, etc. There are only about 20 NSXs in all of Taiwan, so it's not too difficult to meet someone in the car circles who knows of a certain car, knows an owner, etc.

cool, is there an online taiwanese nsx club that I can join?:biggrin:

blackna1 said:
cool, is there an online taiwanese nsx club that I can join?:biggrin:

My friend, NeverHere, who posted above in this thread, is still in Taiwan, and is more plugged into the whole scene than I am, since I've been away for 2 years. You might want to send him a PM to see if he has anything to share. There's no NSX specific club that I know of, but there's plenty of Honda clubs, where NSXs sometimes show up, or you can meet people that know NSX owners/whereabouts/information, etc.

Red,

Are you saying you can get a low mileage 430 for around MRSP? Any idea what is involved in bringing a car from Canada into the US?

WeakestLink said:
Red,

Are you saying you can get a low mileage 430 for around MRSP? Any idea what is involved in bringing a car from Canada into the US?

I'm saying I was offered two different cars over the summer, one with 2000kms and one with 3400 kms. Based on this fact I'm pretty sure I can find more (I know guys with cash and short attention spans) What were we talking about here?

Oh yeah, USA from Canada - I'm an expert the other way, and ignoramus going South - You'll need to figure it out, but if you can tell me, I can help you get the car in Canada.

Yeah no kidding, BC is loaded with F430s you won't even believe. You can find a <2000km around MSRP and with options. So you can kinda say they go for cheaper than MSRP. Also loaded with lotsa other Ferraris like 456, 360, 355 etc. The last 456 I saw at 2000km was selling for $120,000cdn, for less than half the price for an almost new Ferrari, I would say not a bad deal.

Back