• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Slicks Slicks Slicks

And I'm not talking about hair products. Calling all those who've run slicks on their NSX! What did you think? I know you're out there! I'm real tempted to get a set,

Track carvers or rubberized waste of moola

for bragging rights at my local track.

24919DSC02307-med.jpg

24919DSC02257-med.jpg

See someone's using them.
smile.gif

We used them at OTC last year.
Awesome, good for 2-4 sec (depending on # and length of high speed sweepers).
If you got the $$ get them.
They come in different softness; on the hardest compound we got 10 events.

[This message has been edited by supercharged (edited 24 February 2003).]

HA! I reread your escapades in NSX Driver last night. Great article!

10 events? Wow, I was thinking I'd be lucky to get 3 or 4 out of them.

That's my car in the picture, from Tracknutz event @ buttonwillow.

I got thecompound #2. I am estimating it should last about 3 days. The hard compound lasted 5 days for me in BMW.

If you need those slicks, email me. I should be able to get them just slightly more expensive than Hoosier (about $1,100 for a set). They only come in 17" and 18" sizes.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.tracknutz.com" TARGET=_blank>www.tracknutz.com
</A>

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 24 February 2003).]

10 events on the hard compound with heat cycling, not the fastest laps possible with these tires but faster than Hoosier and a better fit, IMHO.

[This message has been edited by supercharged (edited 24 February 2003).]

Michelin also don't make anything wide enough in 17". Toyo don't make real slicks. GoodYear son't make small 17", so you SOL on the front.

Avon makes some that will fit the NSX nicely. But the last time I talked to Avon, they don't recommend them.

I'm real surprised this topic has been discussed ad nausem.

MJ says the 230-17 and 280-18 will fit my wheels. 17x8.5 and 18x10.5, so I'd be wanting the same size.

Andrie, since you've got the hookup, what about Dunlop and Bridgestone?

So Andrie, what's it like driving on these things? Especially compared with R compounds? Any lap time comparisions?

Enquiring minds would like to know.
smile.gif

Hi Ponyboy,

you are using 8.5" width in the fornt? What wheels and what offset? This will actually fit very nice with the 230 width slicks. The good thing is this slicks is also smaller O.D. than the 235/40/17 people uses.

The 280 width slicks should fit wheels from 10" width to 12" width.

Dunlop and Bridgestone are very popular in Japan. However, they have not develop slick tires for the US market. You might find it hard to believe, but the tire formulations vary a bit for each individual countries. Quite often tire manufacturer tests their tires on local tracks for possible marketing in the US. That is one of the reason, I would not use Dunlop or Bridgestone.

BTW, I don't think I know your name. I am all for helping fellow NSX enthusiast and prime member. However, I would feel much better if I at least know the name of the person I am answering the questions to. If you would like to remain anonymous, feel free to send me a private email.

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 25 February 2003).]

Originally posted by Ponyboy:
So Andrie, what's it like driving on these things? Especially compared with R compounds? Any lap time comparisions?

Enquiring minds would like to know.
smile.gif

With the soft compound, it sticks like glue. Much better than R-tires. However, your suspension tune should be modify to accomodate the extra grip.

I don't have lap time comparison yet, since the tracks I've been running has yet to have the same configuration, or they have not done some changes. But I will be leaving to Thunderhill tonight for a day of fun tomorrow. I should let you know soon.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.tracknutz.com" TARGET=_blank>www.tracknutz.com
</A>

Hey Andrie,

I am otherwise known as Shawn.
wink.gif
Wife calls me Honey, friends call me...well, this is a family site.
wink.gif

The wheels are TE-37's with offsets of 40 in front and 45 in back. This will be my first time using tires this wide so I'm really looking forward to the + in lateral traction.

Suspension is the Koni/Eibach w/ Dali Street/Track bars.

[This message has been edited by Ponyboy (edited 25 February 2003).]

Hey Andrie,

I am otherwise known as Shawn.
wink.gif
Wife calls me Honey, friends call me...well, this is a family site.
wink.gif

The wheels are TE-37's with offsets of 40 in front and 45 in back. This will be my first time using tires this wide so I'm really looking forward to the + in lateral traction.

[This message has been edited by Ponyboy (edited 25 February 2003).]

Let us know how the front 17x8.5 TE37s fit with regard to bracke clearance and suspension clearance, thanks Shawn!

------------------
George W
Porsche 996 for sale!

This will be my first time using tires this wide so I'm really looking forward to the + in lateral traction.

My guess is u run Hallet a few times a summer ? Havn't been on the track for a while but if memory serves me, we always ran a harder compond do to its abrasive asphalt & concrete patching @ apex, if they still do that. I peeled a set of hoosiers off a Formula Ford in one May weekend. If the track is the same, I would certainly go w/the a harder tire for your 1st time w/slicks so you can get more use from them even with the heat cycles on that track.

[This message has been edited by Tom Larkins (edited 26 February 2003).]

Hallett indeed. Hopefully, you can come out this spring or summer. Out of three compounds, I'd most likely get the hard version anyway. MJ says the softs will last all of 10 laps.

Hallett has redone alot of their pavement and it's much smoother...and quicker than before. They got rid of those "turtles." Traction is much improved. They've even upgraded the facilities quite a bit.

If you end up coming down again, let me know.

Ok,

just got back from Thunderhill. I won't post my time for now, as we are still preparing for OTC, and would like to let our competitor wonder on our lap times.

I can say, we cut about 3 sec. with the slicks on 3 mile course. We ran the soft compound, and it lasted about 300 track miles. Would have lasted more, if we got enough negative camber.

I could not say enough about Comptech Pro suspension. This is the best suspension I ever tried by far. Maybe, PD Cunningham has better setup, but this one will hold its own.

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 26 February 2003).]

17x8.5 it is. It's listed as one of Volk's NSX sizes so I was trusting their fitment info that it'd fit.

MJ originally ordered them for his NSX race car. I test fit them and they looked fine. Didn't pass the upper lip of the fender.

[This message has been edited by Ponyboy (edited 27 February 2003).]

Originally posted by Andrie Hartanto:
Ok,
just got back from Thunderhill. I won't post my time for now, as we are still preparing for OTC, and would like to let our competitor wonder on our lap times.

you guys were smoking yesterday......

I had some EV700's mounted this weekend and decided to do a little shakedown with them last night. Everything seemed fine except during a tight turn. Definitely felt a little rub.

FYI - Andrie, the offset for the fronts are +50, not the +40 I originally indicated.

Anyway, my next project is making a little more room underneath for any full lock manuevers. During the shakedown, I could not believe the difference in grip I was getting. And the car felt very neutral. BUT that was just during some abrupt parking lot driving and not on the track or anything - I'm sure I'll have to tune a bit.

So now I just have to figure out some ways to cure the rubbing issue and I'll be gold.

Ahhh...makes me think of track season.
smile.gif

------------------
Mason
Tire Rack sales...contact me for all your wheel and tire needs.
1-800-428-8355
Ext. 619

1991 Acura NSX (auto)
2002 Honda S2000
1996 Acura Integra GSR
1990 Honda Accord EX
2003 Mitsubishi Evolution 8

Back