• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Small Oil leak -- need immediate attention?

I've got a small oil leak on my daily driver '97. It's a couple of drops per night, maybe 1/2 quart in between oil changes. It's on the left rear of the engine.

I was planning on waiting until I get the timing belt changed next year, but am worried that maybe I should get it checked sooner.

It's got 76,000 miles on it and had a new clutch installed last summer by the previous owner (done at dealer).

Is it normal for a >75,000 mile car to leak a little oil?

I would get it in and get a good look at it to see exactly where it's coming from if you say the left side Drivers side it might be the Spool Valve mine has a couple drops everytime i drive it and let it sit overnight. I jacked the car up and narrowed it down to where mine was coming from and it was the Spool Valve and i have around 80,000 miles on it.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Go to NSXSC.com click on the parts section and go to Engine you will see the Spool Valve. Like i said you have to get the car up in the air and see where it's coming from it might be something other than Oil.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Andie,

You have got me stomped on that one. Do you mean the plugs in the head at the opposite end from the spool valve that seal the oil galleys?? I am thinking this is not actually a required repair, but a rework if you have to have the head done and the galley needs to be cleaned out for some reason?? Please comment.

LarryB

Yes, thanks.

I ordered the parts today. If you look at the Spool Valve page in the '91/'92 microfiche, it's got three part numbers -- after talking to the parts guy here in Dallas, I learned that the 15825 part number includes the Filter Assy and Filter Ass/Solenoid, which are both O-Rings in the Spool Valve Assembly. A new part number identifies the O-Ring, at least that's what I thought he said :)

In any case, it looks like all three parts boil down to two part numbers for the '97 model. I was pretty clear that I wanted all of them and he convinced me that the two part numbers will give me all the pieces. I'll find out for sure tomorrow after work when I drop by to pick up the parts! I'll the diagrams with me and have him convince me that everything is there.

Thanks again.

Aaron,

I see three part numbers:

(4) 15815-PR3-004 Filter Comp, Spool Valve
(8) 15825-PR3-005 Filter Assy, Spool Valve
(10) 36172-PR3-005 Filter Assy, Selonoid

Each of these items calls for quantity 2/car.

Please let me know how this turns out. I am thinking you will need to order 15825-PR3-005 and 36172-PR3-005 (2ea) separately. Hope I am wrong. Mark B. will know for sure!!

HTH,
LarryB

Parts are on back order. I had the fiche in my hand when I talked to him, he had it on his computer and said that the new part number covers it. I'm going to give him a chance to come through for me.

Thanks

Originally posted by Larry Bastanza:
Andie,

You have got me stomped on that one. Do you mean the plugs in the head at the opposite end from the spool valve that seal the oil galleys?? I am thinking this is not actually a required repair, but a rework if you have to have the head done and the galley needs to be cleaned out for some reason?? Please comment.

LarryB

Nah...it's just that I was under my NSX a couple months ago and it was leaking oil from the gallye plug...not a whole lot...just enough to put a couple drops on the pavement if I left it parked for a few hours after a good hard drive...so I thought it might be this. Just removed it and used Honda sealant and put it back in.

Andie

Nice pics I should have my order with the parts to do the fix this weekend it doesn't look to difficult.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

I took some pictures and slapped in a couple of comments which can be viewed righthere.

Excellent write up. I think that needs to go in the FAQ as soon as Lud can get to it.

Wow, finally made it to my 100th post. The simple things, huh?
biggrin.gif

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

Ok, I've already got an addendum to the writeup! There is a third gasket in there! One of the Dallas guys, Brent, pointed it out to me today. Now I've got a good reason to put off getting at the front Spool Valve (tighter in there) :)

From Brent: The third seal is a 13x1.5 O-ring Part #91319-PR3-003. This o-ring goes on the end of the green electric connector thingie (oil switch) in the solenoid
package. Oil *can* (and does) seep past the o-ring in time. So, the green connector/switch can be unscrewed (it has hex edges on its base), and the o-ring exposed for replacement.

I'll take another picture and update my writup when the part comes in and I get it installed.

Originally posted by aaronb:
One down, one to go!

There are definitely only two part numbers on the '97 -- the filter is attached to the O-ring. Need two each of:

15825-P08-005
36172-P08-015

I took some pictures and slapped in a couple of comments which can be viewed right here:
http://web2.airmail.net/abrooks/SpoolValve.html

Aaron, All- If the dealer does not come thru with the backorder parts soon enough, I have about a dozen of each in stock and am happy to help.

What are being referred to here as galley plugs, are actually test ports for the v-tech oil pressure. If you get, for example, a code 22, "v-tech oli pressure switch open or out of range", the first thing you would do is check the oil pressure there (after of course checking the oil with a dip stick) by removing the "galley" plug and screwing in a hand held oil pressure guage. Its very common to see these leak. If you remember about 6 months ago David Allen was complaining that his '01 was making a puff of smoke in the engine compartment that he could see only intermittantly when he was watching his engine run with the cover up, and how his dealer could not duplicate or fix the problem. well, while I was tuning his
(dealer installed) SC, I saw this puff, and it was this plug leaking directly onto the exhaust. This car had 4k miles on it!!
A spot of HondaBond is a proper repair in my book.

Cheers,
Mark Basch

Lud, as soon as I get the last O-Ring and fix the writup, I'll zip it up and email it to you -- just let me know where to send it.

Maybe I'll find the Galley plugs and take some pictures of them too :)

Aaron

Aaron,

This Adam, I'm fairly new to this forum. I live in Carrollton and visit my mother in Colleyville often. Maybe we could meet up sometime. I am realizing a small oil leak on my 91. I'm not sure where it is coming from, maybe you could lend a look. Thanks. Feel free to email me at [email protected].

Back