• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smog only test station recommendations

Can someone recommend a smog only station that would be NSX friendly? I'd prefer somewhere in the Fremont or San Jose area.

Thanks.

Otto

I go to a good one in Belmont. Probably out of your range...

I don't recall the name, but it's on Old County Road, about a quarter mile south of the Belmont CalTrain station.

I go to a good one in Belmont. Probably out of your range...

I don't recall the name, but it's on Old County Road, about a quarter mile south of the Belmont CalTrain station.

It's a little far, but if they are a test only and are good, get me their info.

Thanks.

Otto

I goto a place called EZ-Smog in Sunnyvale, which is visible from the corner of Lawrence and Reed (but is actually on Willow). The guy there is pretty cool. It's a bit expensive at $50, but you don't need appointments, and you can drop in any time, which is very convenient.

$50 is no bad for test only stations. I have seen $80 test only stations. $49.99 was the cheapest I paid with a coupon.

$50 is no bad for test only stations. I have seen $80 test only stations. $49.99 was the cheapest I paid with a coupon.

I didn't know that. I was used to $30 smog checks that I always had before. Even though I don't need test only most of the time, I always go to EZ Smog, because it's 5 minutes away from my office, and he can get me out of there within 20-30 minutes after me showing up at his door unannounced. Most other places I've been to require an appointment, or make you wait a long time.

I didn't know that. I was used to $30 smog checks that I always had before. Even though I don't need test only most of the time, I always go to EZ Smog, because it's 5 minutes away from my office, and he can get me out of there within 20-30 minutes after me showing up at his door unannounced. Most other places I've been to require an appointment, or make you wait a long time.

The non test only stations normally run anywhere from $19.99 to about $40.00 is the norm in the South Bay (plus smog certificate). I normally pay between $25.00 to $35.00 for non test only stations.

If Livermore is not too far, then First Street Smog is a great place. It is a Test Only facility. Jim is the proprietor, and he has done both NSX's and my other cars. I believe his price is more than Ben's recommendation. $50 is the best I've heard for a Test Only.

I know this place that is NSX friendly, the owner owns an NSX.

See link below:

http://www.namotors.com/

NA Motors
132 98th Ave.
Oakland, CA 94603
(510) 635-9191

The proprietor is none other than Spartan2-3 aka Romeo. Tell him Mike sent ya!!!

In fact if you know the secret hand shake or if you have a Green Lantern decoder ring, he'll definitely give you the hook-up :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Mike

Can someone recommend a smog only station that would be NSX friendly? I'd prefer somewhere in the Fremont or San Jose area.

Thanks.

Otto

I know this place that is NSX friendly, the owner owns an NSX.

See link below:

http://www.namotors.com/

NA Motors
132 98th Ave.
Oakland, CA 94603
(510) 635-9191

The proprietor is none other than Spartan2-3 aka Romeo. Tell him Mike sent ya!!!

In fact if you know the secret hand shake or if you have a Green Lantern decoder ring, he'll definitely give you the hook-up :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Mike

Thanks Mike :biggrin:

But Im a "test and repair station" :biggrin: -heck I'd give 50% off to all prime members (but you gotta say Mike sent ya ) :smile:

Hey Otto,

Check with Joey from S2Ki he does smog tests at his pops shop. He's s2ki friendly and is friends with a bunch of us NSX guys.

Only thing is its up in SF

Let me ask my gf's sisters bf. Great guy and he'll take care of you specially if i tell him to and it's local.

Thanks for all the good responses and recommendations.

I'll probably try and get to EZ-smog later this week since it's just down the street from me. If it were just a regular test I would have gone to GreenSlip, but they no longer have the 'test only' status.

I'll have to hit up Romeo sometime just for the irony of having a supercharged vehicle serviced at 'NA Motors'. :biggrin: I think the only secret hand shake that would work for 50% off would be to slip him an Ebbro 1/43 scale NSX collectible. :wink:

Otto

Thanks for all the good responses and recommendations.

I'll probably try and get to EZ-smog later this week since it's just down the street from me. If it were just a regular test I would have gone to GreenSlip, but they no longer have the 'test only' status.

I'll have to hit up Romeo sometime just for the irony of having a supercharged vehicle serviced at 'NA Motors'. :biggrin: I think the only secret hand shake that would work for 50% off would be to slip him an Ebbro 1/43 scale NSX collectible. :wink:

Otto

Yes-that would be ironic :biggrin: , swing on by if your in the area as I'd like to have my guys look @ a SC NSX :wink:.

hahahaha still have those Ebbro's I got from you (2001-2002) :biggrin: did I mention the market value has gone up :cool:.

"will trade rare Ebbro cars for work" :tongue:

I just finished my smog and passed!!!!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I think I dodged a bullet since my car wasn't that warm. I'm less than 5mins away from EZ-Smog so I didn't really get a chance to warm up the car that much. :redface:

Here is the run down in case you are interested:
1994 with 34,183miles
Comptech Autorotor supercharger
Comptech Headers
Inspection reason: High Emitter Profile:mad:

15mph
HC............max 85.....meas 85 :eek:
CO%.........max 0.50...meas .13
NO (PPM)...max 695....meas 329

25mph
HC............max 50......meas 42
CO%.........max .42.....meas .06
NO (PPM)...max 717....meas 136

:confused: So what is up with the High Emitter Profile?:confused:

I took mines to this place in Los Altos.

It's run by Vietnamese.

They guy barely looked at anything.

It's on Homestead and Foothill Expy.

My RX7 (due to mods) was on the high emitter and since then I've been pigeonholed with test only stations and the smog tests are annual, instead of every-other year like most cars.

Good thing that I know a RX7 mechanic that tweaks with the A/F ratios to make the car run lean to pass with flying colors.

I just finished my smog and passed!!!!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I think I dodged a bullet since my car wasn't that warm. I'm less than 5mins away from EZ-Smog so I didn't really get a chance to warm up the car that much. :redface:

1994 with 34,183miles
Comptech Headers
Inspection reason: High Emitter Profile:mad:

15mph
HC............max 85.....meas 85 :eek:
CO%.........max 0.50...meas .13
NO (PPM)...max 695....meas 329

25mph
HC............max 50......meas 42
CO%.........max .42.....meas .06
NO (PPM)...max 717....meas 136

:confused: So what is up with the High Emitter Profile?:confused:

Description of High Emitter Profile here:
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/geninfo/factsheets/Test_Only_Directed_Vehicles-aug_2003.htm

IMO, I think they just tag all cars over a certain age. The '94 NSX, my '92 Legend, and brother's '93 Land Cruiser all got tagged for Test Only, even though they've never failed smog before, and are all more or less stock.

The guy at EZ-Smog told me once that as far as passing smog goes, the NSX is the worst car Honda has ever made. He said that many of them barely pass, even when stock. My '94, like Otto's also barely passed the last time.

Thanks Mike :biggrin:

But Im a "test and repair station" :biggrin: -heck I'd give 50% off to all prime members (but you gotta say Mike sent ya ) :smile:

Can i get $50 instead for bringing my nsx since i dont need a smog yet

oh yeah Mike sent me :biggrin:

I used my local Shell station for a smog before selling my nsx, they did a pretty good job, except when they pop the hood for the engine... :biggrin:

Thanks.

Otto

Well, I got another test only station :mad: notice so this time I decided to just go the nearby Test Only Station which I have used in the past for our daily beaters. This was the first NSX he has done, but everything went without a hitch. I just had to show him the TCS switch. ;)

Andrew Wong
Auto 1 SMOG Test Center
39707 Paseo Padre Parkway
Fremont 94538
510-656-0888

1994 with 41,414miles
Comptech Headers
Inspection reason: High Emitter Profile

15mph
HC............max 85.....meas 67
CO%.........max 0.50...meas .19
NO (PPM)...max 695....meas 221

25mph
HC............max 50......meas 29
CO%.........max .47.....meas .05
NO (PPM)...max 717....meas 209

:smile::smile:I PASS! :smile::smile:

Next time I need a smog check, I'll run 2 bottles of Clean Power from Winchester Auto Parts.

My brother just bought a used RX8 with almost 90k miles on it.

He was worried about his car not passing.

With 2 bottles of clean power he was registering:

HC readings:
For idle Max100, Avg17, Meas1
@2500 rpm: Max130, Avg12, Meas2

CO% readings:
@ idle: Max 1.00, Avg 0.00, Meas 0.00
@2500rpm: Max 1.00, Avg 0.10, Meas 0.00

The test station was inspecting under his dash board for a piggy back and checking his smog machine calibration since that was silly low.

He has the print out.

I'll see if I can borrow it and scan it.....

Last edited:
I think pretty much any car older than a certain age gets hit with test only now, regardless of that particular car's test record.

My usual smog fellow "A+ Smog" on Evelyn in Mountain View closed shop. The hayward drive would be ok but I was not looking forward to the drive back after 3pm, so looked closer and found http://www.yelp.com/biz/mountain-view-smog-test-only-center-mountain-view-3#query:A+ smog closer to home.

Very nice guy, smart enough to pickup the RPM on the first try from the coils (the A+ fellow used to take several tries) and treated the car very well, gently closing etc. Also asked me to bring the car in (I would have let him drive it in). Seems to be a fan of BMWs in particular, apparently the Lebanese have the hots for German cars.

Outta the door my cost was 59.95$. The yelp price of 39.95 + 10$ evap etc.

The NSX continues to surprise me: I got it nice and hot by driving it a while and other than HC (which was a bit higher than average, everything else measured way lower).

15MPH Meas Ave Max
%C02: 15 - -
%02 : 15 - -
HC : 33 21 85
CO : 0.01 0.06 0.50
NO : 27 150 695

25MPH Meas Ave Max
%C02: 15 - -
%02 : 15 - -
HC : 22 13 50
CO : 0.02 0.05 0.47
NO : 17 135 717

One of the previous tests (4 years back I think) reported a somewhat Higher HC than usual and I replaced my O2 sensors (and immediately gained 1pmg) then. Since then, it has been a smog champ.

Back