• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Snap ring question

I'm looking at a car that is in the range. It has gone a fair distance with no trouble. Can anyone advise me on roughly how expensive the repairs could run if it does act up?

Last edited:
I just had my snap ring go at 125K miles.

At this time there is no way to determine if the repair is completed if the serial number is within range. If you have a receipt indicating a case replacement, then you can be reasonably confident of the repair. I had a receipt stating the "snap ring repair" had been completed, but they obviously just replaced only the snap ring.

It is $800 fix in parts which includes a new casing and you should do it when the clutch requires replacement. If you can R&R the clutch yourself, then you would have no problem putting in the new case and thrust bearing.

If the snap ring goes, you are supposed to replace or completely rebuild the transmission. However, I would have no problem doing the snap ring repair and hope for the best if the break (oh snap!) was caught early.

I ended up getting a 22K mile 96 trans from ERZ for about $2500. I'll be installing this weekend. My car has been down three weeks so far :(

Drew

My car was in snap ring range. It broke around 54k miles. Larry Bastanza did the rebuild for me, and informed me that my snap ring took the prize for the worst he had ever seen.

I decided to go with NSX-R short gears and final drive for the rebuild. For the removal, and reinstall of the tranny, and rebuild, I spent roughly $4600

Back