• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SoCal to ALMS Caravan Thread

I bit early, but might as well get the planning started so that rooms can be booked etc..

Ok, so it's a 3-day event (Oct. 19 - Oct. 21) with the hospitality portion taking place on day 2 (Oct. 20) as I understand it.

When are you planning on making the drive up?

18th (day before first day of event) or 19th (day before hospitality event)?

I plan to leave around 11am or so since check in time for me is at 4pm. Drive time is expected at a little over 6 hours if there are no hitches on the way. I am leaving on the 19th by the way since I am booked from 19-21st.

I'm leaving on the 19th also...probably around 10:00a.m. Looking forward to a nice long cruise.

Anyone planning on heading up on the 18th?

I'm thinking of going up on Thurs the 18th - I want to enjoy every day at the Corral. I also want to go up highway 1 from SLO. I'm staying at my brother-in-law's home in Monterey - however, he does not know it yet LOL.

Would love to caravan with some primers! I live in near Pasadena.

I might head up earlier on Friday. When I find out what the ALMS schedule is like for Friday that will determine when I leave.

My passenger is flying in from DC. We're planning on driving up the 19th, back on the 22nd.

I'm confirmed to make the drive on the 18th.

I’m up for leaving anytime in the morning. I do know from Sierra Madre to Moro Bay it is about a 3.5 hour drive without stops and going over San Marcus Pass, which is a nice drive. I believe it is a 2.5 to 3 hour drive from Moro Bay to Monterey along highway 1. I was planning on making the trip with no overnight stops. I’ll be staying in Monterey or in Campbell (near San Jose). I won’t know for a few weeks. Where are you staying? The earlier we leave to more stops we can make, perhaps one stop a winery north of Santa Barbara for lunch.

Mario

I will leave on the 19th also. Anymore suggetions on where to stay?

Well I will be at the Embassy Suites hotel with a few other Primers. I am leaving on the 19th in the morning so maybe 9am or 10am? Well let's figure this out and might be a good idea to have club radios.

Mario, I'll be staying at the embassy suites with no overnight stops along the way either.

Should probably factor in morning traffic on the 210W as well. I think that it clears at around 10:30am(?)

Do you have a club radio?

Dave, do you and Gil have a route plan yet? Being that you're coming in from OC, maybe we could meet up along the way.

Dave, do you and Gil have a route plan yet? Being that you're coming in from OC, maybe we could meet up along the way.[/QUOTE]

Yes we both do.

There looks like there will be 5 of us leaving South OC about 9 AM on 10/18, 405 north to 101 west to 1 north. Plan to stop somewhere about half way Thursday night, up early the next day and into Monterey. Staying at Monterey Marriott. Return trip Sunday early afternoon. If anyone wants to join us please let us know. Gil

I'm looking into hotels at this time, and would like to ask if I should stay in downtown Monterey or along Pacific Cove???

Also, what is the address of the race track, is it Laguna Seca?

Thanks

I'm looking into hotels at this time, and would like to ask if I should stay in downtown Monterey or along Pacific Cove???

Also, what is the address of the race track, is it Laguna Seca?

Thanks
1021 Monterey-Salinas Highway Salinas, CA 93908 :biggrin:

I'm toying with downtown...It's a bit farther drive to the track, but parking @ the track isn't a problem because of the corral. After the race day you get to drive the NSX downtown and park her for the night at your hotel, then walk to dinner, drinks, etc. The other alternative is stay outside of the Cannery area and to bring the NSX's downtown and have to find parking each night for dinner.

Thoughts?

Mario, I'll be staying at the embassy suites with no overnight stops along the way either.

Should probably factor in morning traffic on the 210W as well. I think that it clears at around 10:30am(?)

Dave, do you and Gil have a route plan yet? Being that you're coming in from OC, maybe we could meet up along the way.

If we are to meet up with Gil and 4 or more of other Primers, we may need to time our departure to meet up with this group somewhere in the San Fernando Valley. They will probably stop for the night in San Luis Obispo or Moro Bay. We will then continue up the coast. However, staying overnight in Moro Bay or elsewhere in the area is tempting.

I don’t have a club radio. How much do they cost, specs and where to buy? Radios are a plus when caravanning.

Mario, here is the info on the radios --> http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/NSXCA_Radios.

I use a Motorola XU2100, but certainly anything that tunes to the specified frequency will work.

I'm up for meeting up with the OC folks somewhere off the 101 past the 405. Just have to time it right. :D (I'm coming in from the 210 & 57)

At this point I'm planning on continuing on to Monterey the same day just so that it's much more free and easy the next morning, but might reconsider down the line. :D

For the South Orange County Group and anyone else who wants to join in.
I got a group rate at Paso Robles Inn for $115 for a standard room for Thursday night, October 18th. I've had Dave, Ryan, Tim and Tom confirm, if anyone else wants to join in please let me know and I'll hook you up. Thanks, Gil

For the South Orange County Group and anyone else who wants to join in.
I got a group rate at Paso Robles Inn for $115 for a standard room for Thursday night, October 18th. I've had Dave, Ryan, Tim and Tom confirm, if anyone else wants to join in please let me know and I'll hook you up. Thanks, Gil

It appears that the OC group is not planning to take the coastal route to Monterey in that Paso Robles is not along Highway 1. However, you can get to Highway 1 from Paso Robles via Highway 46, but you would need to backtrack a bit. Highway 1 from Moro Bay to Monterey is a beautiful drive. I, and I think I can speak for CDX_NSX, would like to caravan with you guys from the San Fernando Valley to San Luis Obispo, and then we'll peel off to Highway 1.

Keep in touch,

Mario

It appears that the OC group is not planning to take the coastal route to Monterey

The OC group is taking the PCH to SLO, then 101 to PR, spend the night and leave early Friday morning, take 46 to 1 and north to Monterey. :biggrin:

Back