• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

solaris/blades wheels

jag

Contributing Member
I looked through the faq and did not see a direct comparison between the solaris finished wheel and the blades. Because I live in the tundra, I'm lucky to see one other NSX on the road a year.

Could someone describe in detail the two wheels and their finishes.

Is the base wheel, metal, mfg process, etc the exact same...just different finishing techinque.

Can a solaris finshed wheel be converted to a blades finished wheel? If so, are there reputable vendors that have done this?

I'm not crazy about a painted wheel or "polished" high gloss chromed wheels. Could my solaris just be stripped and clear coated or something to give it a satin finsh.

The Solaris Silver used in '94-96 is a painted, gunmetal gray finish. The Blades Silver used since '97 is a bright, shiny silver; my recollection is that it looks like a clearcoat finish over metal (NOT polished with a chrome look).

There are numerous reputable wheel-finishing shops around the country that can refinish your wheels any way you want, including a Blades finish. Expect to pay $100-150 per wheel.

Two that are located in the Midwest (both in suburban Chicago) are Transwheel and Wheels America.

So the solaris wheel stripped and the blades wheel stripped are the exact same wheel... only the finish is different? If that is the case, you've answered most of my questions.

Last question, has anybody ever finshed their 94+ wheels in a satin [non high gloss] finish?

Thanks for the help.

So the solaris wheel stripped and the blades wheel stripped are the exact same wheel... only the finish is different?

That's correct.

The Blades is a machined finish. So to convert a solaris wheel to a blades finish, u would have to strip the paint, paint it silver, and then run the face on a CNC lathe, and then finish off with some clear coat paint.

Ryan

Back