• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SOS stg 1 3.0 with GTX3076R results

I had purchased the Angus turbo kit last year and installed it myself. The results can be found here.

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143981

Well in early March I noticed excessive smoke from my oil catch vent. Quick compression check revealed low compression in a cylinder (70 psi). So time for a upgrade. It was a crushed ring land. I have a few guesses why it happened but I'll leave it at that.

SOS had a used stage 1 3.0 for sale. I was leaving the country for 6 months so I shipped my car out there. While they had it I had them do the following:

Used Stage 1 3.0
Garrett GTX3076R
SOS Air to Water intercooler
AEM Series 2 EMS
ID 1000cc injectors
Tial BOV
Oil pan Baffle
SOS 6 puck sport clutch and flywheel

And a bunch of small related items to make it all work (i.e. Putting a T3 flange on the Angus Y pipe, New piping for the air to water, etc... )

So the only things left from the Angus kit is the Y pipe and the oil return pump. Haha.

My goal was 500rwhp with the best response possible. The results...

472 RWHP with 387 RWTQ at 15 psi on 91 octane.

It spools super fast, so fast its hard for the boost controller to catch it and it over shoots to 16psi when it first hits. Full boost by 3600 rpms.

I didn't reach my goal. I went with the GTX3076R over the GT3076R hoping the extra flow would get me to 500 but it still fell short. The compressor is simply not big enough. It's a lot of fun the way it hits now so I'll see if the HP bug bites later on and all I have to do it upsize to a GT35R and 500RWHP will be easy.

Last edited:
awesome results! full boost by 3600rpm must feel good on the street as well. Sucks about not being able to salvage most of the angus kit components.

Rode in the car today. Holy crap its fast! Much faster than the old setup. Very impressive. I would say its the 2nd fastest I have been in after wei-shens 600hp beast.

The turbo hits hard and keeps pulling. Awesome. Congrats to Gary and SOS. Great job!

Turbo size is most likely the reason for the HP level at 15psi. Small turbo needs to do more work to flow enough air to make the HP.

KooKoo, The 6 puck is a bit grabby. Completely daily drivable but if you don't need it for your goals then I would get the full face clutch. I wanted 500 hp which is higher then the full face is rated for so I went with the puck style.

The reason for the it making 472 rwhp with 15 psi is the compressor is smaller then what you are used to seeing on a NSX and in order for it to flow enough air for this motor it has to do it at a higher pressure ratio i.e. boost. Boost is a arbitrary number when all the other factors are not defined. How much air is produced in lbs/ per min is the actual measurement you look for. It's what is shown on the compressor maps.

So the answer is both lower compression and a smaller turbo.

Last edited:
9.2:1 compression

Here is a vid SOS provided:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MY5FTu5Q77k?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Stuntman, Yes it is a external dump. The wastegate is still the 46mm one that came with the Angus kit. Yes, it is a lot of fun on the street.

Netviper is right. It's an apple and oranges comparison. Based on my results I think the GTX30R would be a blast on a stock motor with the extra compression. Cody seems to be able to run high 400's on stocks block fairly regularly so maybe you could run a similar setup on a stock bottom end. I had to rebuild the motor anyway so I wanted a built motor for the safety factor.

Gary,

Do you have 2 maps, high and low? I bet your long term reliability would go up if you kept boost at say perhaps 9PSI for around town and 16PSI when you "needed" it.

I'm shocked that the little turbo is making 4psi at like 2800! You're making more torque at 2800 than a stock 3.0 NA does at peak. Are you having any traction related troubles?

Great results!

Here's a great test we did this winter with a customer's car. 67mm vs. 58mm(similar in physical size to 3076R) with a few other changes:

198088_165700133483032_146390618747317_344796_4431082_n.jpg

The entire thread can be found here:

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147245

I notice that Gary's turbo makes more torque and at a lower rpm then the precision turbo, even with the shop car at 9psi. Wow!!!!:smile:

I notice that Gary's turbo makes more torque and at a lower rpm then the precision turbo, even with the shop car at 9psi. Wow!!!!:smile:

Its a pretty impressive set-up, but keep in mind there is a lot of money in that car to make it that impressive.

Stuntman, Yes it is a external dump. The wastegate is still the 46mm one that came with the Angus kit. Yes, it is a lot of fun on the street.

Netviper is right. It's an apple and oranges comparison. Based on my results I think the GTX30R would be a blast on a stock motor with the extra compression. Cody seems to be able to run high 400's on stocks block fairly regularly so maybe you could run a similar setup on a stock bottom end. I had to rebuild the motor anyway so I wanted a built motor for the safety factor.

One issue that I would caution about with a turbo like this on a stock motor is that since it spools so hard in the bottom end, it is going to be way harder on a stock engine and also more prone to detonation at higher C/R.

Back