• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

SOS twin turbo 1/4 mile...

Well sort of -

I converted from CTSC and installed a SOS twin turbo on my old NSX and posted dyno results in a previous post. I also wondered what the car might do in the quarter....turns out there's an APP for that! It's called Dynolicious. Please - no flaming - draw your own conclusions. The owner ran both the NSX and his BMW M5 within the same hour, same place, same conditions.

NSX Dyno results indicated 408 rwhp. The car has a 6-speed conversion with short gears and a final drive conversion to 4:45. The car was revved to 3,000rpm and shifted at redline. The APP claims a .01 % accuracy.

NSX chart and BMW chart.

Attachments

• quarter mile.jpg
    quarter mile.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 385
  • M5 BMW quarter.jpg
    M5 BMW quarter.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 333
Sorry, that's not even close. Look at the fastest quarter mile threads and their rear wheel hp. To trap at 130 you need at least another 100 rwhp or just look at mr. Bozos trap and rwhp.

Fun app though.

Last edited:
Sorry, that's not even close. Look at the fastest quarter mile threads and their rear wheel hp. To trap at 130 you need at least another 100 rwhp or just look at mr. Bozos trap and rwhp.

Fun app though.

Like I said - I'd love to see "reality".

I think gearing makes a big difference in quarter mile though. No arguments here, just throwing it out there.

Like I said - I'd love to see "reality".

I think gearing makes a big difference in quarter mile though. No arguments here, just throwing it out there.

I think the gearing on this car will make it slower because you have to shift more often. Not sure though.

Reality is probably around 11.9 @ 120 mph.

Last edited:
Dynolicous was compared to a well know standalone unit and with professional timing equipment and it was closer to the professional equipment than the standalone unit.

There is also G-Tac Pro which is meant to be pretty good.

Dynolicous was compared to a well know standalone unit and with professional timing equipment and it was closer to the professional equipment than the standalone unit.

There is also G-Tac Pro which is meant to be pretty good.

Thanks, figured it was pretty close based on the M5 time which was very close to what the guy ran at the strip. GPS at work.

Interesting video for all of the skeptics....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-DFbJQbeSY

I don't think we are "skeptics". We just have a good idea about what these cars do in real life.

Do you honestly think that car with 400 rwhp traps at the same speed as a car with 631rwhp?

Real world results with similar HP

v8killer
[email protected] mph 440 whp
[email protected] mph 508 whp

s2 killer
[email protected] mph 480 whp

cptnsx
[email protected] mph 412 whp

kookoo4nsx
12.39@118 mph 400 whp

8. Patchez
12.40@118 mph 397 whp

Last edited:
I don't think we are "skeptics". We just have a good idea about what these cars do in real life.

Do you honestly think that car with 400 rwhp traps at the same speed as a car with 631rwhp?

Real world results with similar HP

v8killer
[email protected] mph 440 whp
[email protected] mph 508 whp

s2 killer
[email protected] mph 480 whp

cptnsx
[email protected] mph 412 whp

kookoo4nsx
12.39@118 mph 400 whp

8. Patchez
12.40@118 mph 397 whp

I forgot how much you love these forums, Dave.
Do you know their gearing also? Just curious.

And maybe one of them with an iphone would spend the $13 to do a comparison?

You live in florida, Time to take it to the strip. Nice to have tracks open year round.

I'll see if I can find a spot to setup the dynolicous with my car at 390whp.

That probably accounts for this:

The folks behind the Dynolicious performance meter figured out how to use the built-in three-axis accelerometer in an Apple iPhone or iPod Touch to estimate quarter-mile acceleration time and wheel horsepower. It even has a skidpad feature that displays real-time lateral and longitudinal g-forces. The application is available through Apple’s iTunes Store. Estimating a vehicle’s wheel horsepower is easy enough as long as you know the vehicle’s test weight (including the driver) and quarter-mile elapsed time: HP = Weight/(ET/5.825)³

To see if the application can deliver accurate acceleration numbers, we compared quarter-mile numbers generated by our VBOX II GPS data logger to the results.

The elapsed times were consistently slower than the VBOX data by 0.3 second or so
, but that consistency allows you to determine if any modifications to your car yield an actual power gain. The skidpad screen is entertaining but hardly a good measuring tool. Overall, if you already have an iPhone or an iPod Touch.

While you might characterize me as...dubious... about a 131 trap with your rwhp #, No one here bothered to ask the year or weight of your nsx. If you've done a big weight drop..... then the trap speed is entirely possible...

as an aside here, folks... while brian has hit 131 mph with 631 rwhp, Ccathey hit 138 (on a track) with LESS rwhp... that is a HUGE difference in trap speed.... So let's not set aside the possibility just yet...

And fwiw my friend used to run at the track constantly.. always compared his gtech pro to the track info.. and it was consistently about 0.2sec and .5 mph off... which is still damn close...

Last edited:
While you might characterize me as...dubious... about a 131 trap with your rwhp #, No one here bothered to ask the year or weight of your nsx. If you've done a big weight drop..... then the trap speed is entirely possible...

as an aside here, folks... while brian has hit 131 mph with 631 rwhp, Ccathey hit 138 (on a track) with LESS rwhp... that is a HUGE difference in trap speed.... So let's not set aside the possibility just yet...

And fwiw my friend used to run at the track constantly.. always compared his gtech pro to the track info.. and it was consistently about 0.2sec and .5 mph off... which is still damn close...

I think we should start a thread - Dynolicious quarter miles. For a small investment (aside from iphone) it would be an interesting comparison.

Unlike dynos - everyone would be using the same base line. I also keep mentioning that gearing may be a big part of this. So far all of the articles I've read on the Dynolicious APP puts it pretty close. It also estimates HP. The dyno had the car at 408 rwhp. Dynolicious 460 bhp. Pretty close if you do the conversion.

I think we should start a thread - Dynolicious quarter miles. For a small investment (aside from iphone) it would be an interesting comparison.

Unlike dynos - everyone would be using the same base line. I also keep mentioning that gearing may be a big part of this. So far all of the articles I've read on the Dynolicious APP puts it pretty close. It also estimates HP. The dyno had the car at 408 rwhp. Dynolicious 460 bhp. Pretty close if you do the conversion.

I like the idea of that.

It's really good app. You add your cars to the app. so you can compare between cars and the best bit is you add mods as and when you do them to compare before and after results.

You must make sure you find a better way of mounting the phone rather than placing in the glovebox as believe me, this does not work haha. Yes i tried it. just a cheap ebay iphone mount should do.

Back