• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Speed trap on Vincent Thomas Bridge, San Pedro

Just a heads up that the CHP runs a regular fund raising event on the Vincent Thomas Bridge. My wife was driving her 95 NSX-T west bound there on Christmas Eve afternoon and despite the fact that other drivers were passing her (not an argument you can use in court unfortunately), she was specially selected to assist the CHP in contributing to their New Year latte fund. By all accounts the limit is 45 and she was keeping up with the other traffic at 55-60! Apparently its an extra special ticket (22405) to drive at excessive speed on a bridge in CA which may be harder to defeat but I'll let you know how we get on. Evidently, despite the fact that the Vincent Thomas Bridge is uniquely a welded AND riveted construction, and the NSX is made of wafer thin alunimum and weighs about as much as my lawn tractor, an NSX at 55-65mph could evidently catastrophhically damage the bridge if it came into contact with it. (Perhaps if it was dropped on the bridge from a C130, or sitting on the deck of a Princess Cruise lines ship when it came into contact with the bridge I could believe that.)

Any hints and tips/personal experience for avoiding the long arm of the law (aside of driving more slowly and buying a Camry?) and more importantly, the points that will put the insurance up?

Thanks

Chris

Thanks for the heads up. Although I have a ton of respect for law enforcement, some officers just make crap up to give out tickets--revenue. I got a speeding ticket 4 years ago driving my 02 mustang. The deputy said she estimated I was doing 85 mph in a 50 mph zone, because she had to drive 85 mph to catch up to me from the cross street she was parked at. Logically, this makes no sense. If she would have to accelerate from 0 mph to 85 mph to catch me in a relatively short distance this would mean I was doing significantly less than 85 mph in the first place. Secondly, my mustang is freaking scary to drive at those speeds anyway. Furthermore, she followed me for several seconds prior to turning on the lights, but did not comment on the speed after tailing me.

If the rational is to preserve the integrity of the bridge, they should be targeting SUV's and trucks. Heck their crown victoria weighs more than the NSX!

Ask your wife to attend traffic school and pay the ticket. That is the only way.

If you choose to appear and try to fight it, you might get lucky if the police officer doesn't show up, but then you have no option for traffic school.

They got you either way $$$ and time.

Sorry to hear about that.

Big D is right. The good news is you can do your traffic school online, so it's not like sitting in a room for 8 hours anymore. I think I was done in an hour.

that sucks, big time..........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

See if you can do Trial By Written Declaration first. Write up your response, never admitting guilt. If you are found guilty after that, request a live trial hearing (which you are entitled too). Hope the cop doesn't show up, if he does state your case to the judge. If the judge is unfavorable ask the judge for traffic school, in most cases they will grant it (if you're not an a$$).

There are plenty of ways to win here. If you really don't want to deal with it, pay the fine and do traffic school. There's a person on here that knows someone that is a Traffic School instructor and can hook you up. . . it'll save you lots of time. . if you know what I'm saying. . .

Re: Trial By Written Declaration

Thanks

We already sent the court a check for the bail amount (About $275) along with a letter confirming my wife's view that she was not guilty and requesting a trial by written declaration. I'm still waiting to receive the paperwork for the court to complete the Trial by Written declaration and we'll see how it goes from there.

Fingers crossed

Re: Trial By Written Declaration

Thanks

We already sent the court a check for the bail amount (About $275) along with a letter confirming my wife's view that she was not guilty and requesting a trial by written declaration. I'm still waiting to receive the paperwork for the court to complete the Trial by Written declaration and we'll see how it goes from there.

Fingers crossed

Good move. I did the same thing after being stopped for a "no turn on red" violation in San Diego. Long story short...dismissed and got my money back!

Back