• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Speeding: Reckless driving charged in VA = misdemeanor (HELP PLEASE)

So where is it?

G-man, you still need to put up or shut up! You talk a lot of trash, but you offer very little to support your position. So what defense are you recommending for this case? I see you are still hiding behind your "Find an attorney that agrees with me" assertion. You imply that you got off for 127 in a 35? What defense did you use? Insanity plea? People don't think you are insane for taking a day off work to go fight a ticket in the next state. They just think you are insane! You indicate that you are an experienced court warrior. Share with us some of your brilliant and successful defenses. And share with us your failures, so that we may learn from your wisdom, oh wise and bipolar one.

I am guessing that you have used a "medication defense" in the past. Close cousin to the insanity plea. "My client was under the influence of anti-psychotic medication at the time, your honor. Accordingly, he is not responsible for his actions."

Come on, what are you trying to hide? Let's hear it! I can't wait!

I hired some cheesy lawyer for 300 bucks... he didn't do much but he did help me stay out of jail.

Plea bargin:
I was charged with 90/55 reckless.
6 Months Suspension in VA
500 fine + 67 court fee.
NO JAIL TIME!

on the other hand my friend did 107 mph and hired a really expensive lawyer and he got off easy... they charged him with 5mph over the limit.

btw: my cousin was pulled over because he had a high school graduation tassle thing on his rear view mirror on Rt66 in a stock 300ZX. He got a warning for going 61 in a 55. VA COPS ARE TOUGH on innocent bystanders. I hate driving through there.

Hmm...I never saw this thread.

I have MUCH experience in VA with tickets.

Don't speed on the 267 Toll Road or I66. If you feel the need to go ballistic, choose 395 or the Beltway. I know everywhere the cops sit on 66 and most places on 267. They tend to congregate there b/c there are more places to hide.

However, 66 from 28 to Mannassas, you can open it up. Just be sure to watch in the median gaps.

I got off in Alexandria 95/55 with a $250 fine only. However, I hired an attorney. I've seen people jailed in Fairfax for that. Arlington is the best place to get busted because the prosecutors will talk to you freely. I've pled every charge down, to be honest. Plead to improper, pay the fine, always in Ckt Court on appeal. I cannot remember even showing up for a ticket date for speeding. Just not even worth the waste of time. I do a no-show, then offer to pay the District Court fine on an improper charge to the DAs. They only want to get their money, really. That's all any state particularly cares about.

I got a ticket on the toll road about a month ago when I was coming home to NY from visiting a friend in VA. Nothing I said was going to convince the cop to not give me a ticket. It's even worse due to the fact that there were a lot more cars going faster than me. I have a feeling I got pulled over because the X caught his eye. Also my NY license plates probably gave him all the signs to pull me over even if I was going 10 mph over the speed limit. Lesson learned - don't speed in the VA area, especially in Fairfax. :mad:

nsxexotic said:
I hired some cheesy lawyer for 300 bucks... he didn't do much but he did help me stay out of jail.

Plea bargin:
I was charged with 90/55 reckless.
6 Months Suspension in VA
500 fine + 67 court fee.
NO JAIL TIME!

Dude! You got ripped off. My ticket for 127 in a 35 in VA, I paid $300 and got off. In my most recent one in NY there were 4 of us doing 120+ in a 65 and we got a break at 89 in a 65 and hired the right attorney and got 74 in a 65 and only 3 points and paid a fine. So what. Your attorney must have skipped that week in law school about plea bargaining. What a joke. You should have at least gotten yours dropped to 74 in a 55 (19 over) with no reckless and no suspension. If you didn't get that, then you didn't get what you were paying for! How fast were you going more than 90/55?

While I do not make a habbit of driving over 100 mph (it is usually the actions of others that drag me down :) ), I would say that you should appeal the court finding and fight it in the court of appeals. I have only appealed 1 ruling in over 25 years and I won it on appeal.

G-man

Last edited:
I got a wreckless by speed in Va about 2 years ago. I hired a great attorney and got PBJ and had to do an online driving school. There was no fine. Only had to pay I think $85 for the online school. I will dig up the attorney I used if you want. PM me if you want me to do that.

Rob

G-man said:
Dude! You got ripped off. My ticket for 127 in a 35 in VA, I paid $300 and got off. In my most recent one in NY there were 4 of us doing 120+ in a 65 and we got a break at 89 in a 65 and hired the right attorney and got 74 in a 65 and only 3 points and paid a fine. So what. Your attorney must have skipped that week in law school about plea bargaining. What a joke. You should have at least gotten yours dropped to 74 in a 55 (19 over) with no reckless and no suspension. If you didn't get that, then you didn't get what you were paying for! How fast were you going more than 90/55?

While I do not make a habbit of driving over 100 mph (it is usually the actions of others that drag me down :) ), I would say that you should appeal the court finding and fight it in the court of appeals. I have only appealed 1 ruling in over 25 years and I won it on appeal.

G-man

You expect me to believe that you got popped for 127 in a 35 and paid a fine? What county was this in?

In either Arlington, Alexandria, or Fairfax, you'd have gone to jail for that. The last guy I saw in court at 120 was on I95 and his ass got 5 days in jail.

I live in Tennessee, but forgot that radar detectors were illegal in VA.

Recently, I drove to Bristol, VA for business...pulling off the Interstate
(that I had been driving at about 85 mph) in Bristol, TN....driving through
"town" to my appmt. in Bristol,VA. After leaving appmt./meeting ( driving only 2 blks.), I was quickly "greeted" by a local sherrifs dept. car...lights flashing & all!
Seems my radar detector set off some kind of alarm in his car, even tho it was not turned on! After sitting for about 30 mins. while he "ran my drivers license", he gave me the verbal warning speech about illegal detectors in VA.
He indicated that they could fine me (approx. $500) or confiscate it, but seeings as I am just a "stupid blonde"...he let me go!
Just thought you'd get a kick out of this one!!!

Wow VA sucks!

I got pulled over doing 84 in a 55 in Florida on the weekend and after talking with the cop for 5 minutes he gave me a ticket for 64 in a 55 which is $82.00. Only $82.00 (or go to traffic school) for 29MPH OVER! (I told him I was behind a slow truck, and when traffic was out of the way I had just passed him and I didn't plan on going 84mph all the way down the road)

About a week and a half ago I was going 60 in a 40 and cop flashed his lights once as he pulled out. I stopped at the light, he came up next to me - AND HE GAVE ME THE THUMBS UP! LOL!

finally put mine to rest (i hope)
had to retain a lawyer ($275), send in my driving record ($15), pay a fine of $100 and court fees of $66, take an 8hr DMV certified online defensive driving course ($85 or so) AND THEN take the final exam at my local library. a big pain in the ass, which is their intention to make you think twice about speeding.

reduced from 85 in a 65 to 74 in a 65.

Back