• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Speeding Ticket in Connecticut

GUys,

Looking for an opinion. I got a lame ticket in CT in late June. Cop pulled me over claiming i was doing 81 MPH in the left of 3 lanes, #5 in a convoy of minivans/SUV's (he was on right shoulder). He claimed to have caught me doing this speed. Needless to say, i doubt he caught me with LASER (likely 1st car in line) and was just lazy and pulled me over as the last in the line of 5 cars. Bottom line, do i need to pay this? Any reciprocation to Nova Scotia? I won't be travelling too often to CT but would like to know statute of limitations time.

Thanks

You don't provide too many details so it's very difficult to determine or provide any advice. Were you speeding? If so, I believe most Prime members will tell you to suck it up and pay the ticket.

Sorry.

I can tell you an out of province ticket in the past no demerits transferred, to Alberta, ticket was in Manitoba. I did get a notice after the ticket was due to be paid that there was an arrrest warrant issued for non payment. That is all I heard from them, after a few years I got notification from a collecting agency that I owe them the money, I did nothing and now almost 15 years latter the collection agency has recently started to call again. So so far not paying has worked for me. I told the agency I would pay them a dollar a month, they didn't like that.

Sadly , Connecticut has a history of tracking down people who did not pay a ticket or taxes on a vehicle. I have seen articles where someone has moved away from Connecticut and ten years later the state found them trying to register a car in an other state and hit them up for a inflated tax bill with fines , interest and other fees to the point where the original bill now costs 10X what it would have cost if you paid when due.

I don't know if this would be reciprocal to your local motor vehicle commission , but I would bet that it will catch up to you sooner or later.

Sadly , I suggest you pay it. :frown:

- Connecticut resident for 45 years -

School professor had the same thing, he didn't really pay the ticket, ended up having a warrant out for his arrest...He had to spend one day in jail when he got busted the next time around...

Might be better to pay the ticket, or fight it if you don't want the demerit points.

Guys,

I am pretty sure Nova Scotia has no reciprocal arrangements with any US State. I understand that driving in CT in the future may need to be done carefully if i don't pay the "tax". How long would that time be?

When you get a ticket in the NE USA contact RSO34 on Prime - he's a lawyer who specializes in offering sex to judges (or so I'm told) and is able to "get you off" so to speak...:tongue: seriously...

I think that after 7 years you should be fine , this is the case in california at least.

NY has no reciprocity with any other state but does have with parts of Canada, go figure. In NY if you pay out of state tickets right away no worries, no points. If you try and not pay the ticket you will get points. This is how it use to be unsure if it's still that way.

Someone just flew in from California to meet with me. The guy has not received a ticket since 1979. He is on the ground less than 20 minutes and New York's finest nail him for 51 in a 30. He was pissed about it too.

Why is that? Did he screw you over or something?

No, not at all, as a matter of fact I like him very much, if I didn't like him I wouldn't recommend the little judge porker ;)

My like for him is STRICTLY platonic - now Bio has a whole lens envy thing going on with him....

LOL@Red. :biggrin:

Trapster and the like are fun programs, but sadly only as good as your peers are in reporting things.

I had Trapster on the last time I was pulled over speeding in my NSX (on the way to XPO too). I'm in the process of fighting it.

Back on topic, pay it.

Back