• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

sport bikes

Hey Len,

The XX can certainly serve touring duties, much like the VFR. Now you need to get a turbo installed--even a small turbo making 260 rwhp can be quite fun.

Congrats,

Ben

nbovelle said:
Len,

I have a CBR1100XX also. Mine is a 97 which has carbs. I have the Factoy Pro titanium jet kit, a full Akrapovic system, Corbin seat (with the gunfiter), and a Zero-Gravidy windscreen. I also have a full set of Givi Bags which I hardly ever use.

It is a great bike and a good choice between sport and touring. I think it is more sport!

If you are interested in the Givi bags I have, let me know.

Take care and enjoy the XX!

Nate in DC

Hello Nate. Nice bike, I know who I am going tobug now and then.
On the Givi's, I have a set of corbin beetle's on the way, I already had a Givi top case. But thanks for offereng.

How do you feel about the Zero gravity windscreen? Is it the Sport tourer version?
Post a pic of that bike, I would love to see it and the way the wind screen looks on it.

quote:Hey Len,

The XX can certainly serve touring duties, much like the VFR. Now you need to get a turbo installed--even a small turbo making 260 rwhp can be quite fun.

Congrats,

Ben

Ben, A turbo, oh my god!! this thing is fast enough as it is.(For me) Sounds like a lot of fun though. I know your Busa puts out some insane power. How is it in the twisties? Is it manageable on a road course or like? Just wondering, because I will never have that kind of power on my bike....:)

By the way, How's Texas? My brother is down that way, I visit him often, as a matter of fact when the X is done I am coming that way, whilst driving it home.

What kind of bike do you have?

I am just wondering why you think you need 260HP to have fun??

160RWHP is not enought on a 400LB bike?
The CBR1100XX is in the 500 plus weight range.

Arata said:
What kind of bike do you have?

He has a Hyabusa with 400+HP.

I am just wondering why you think you need 260HP to have fun??

Not speaking for him, but I don't think he was speaking in absolutes. He knows me pretty well enough, that I am for sure he was just speaking to my tastes.

160RWHP is not enought on a 400LB bike?
The CBR1100XX is in the 500 plus weight range.

Yes and yes, as far as I am concerned. However, I add a significant amount to the weght equation, Ben knows that, so he may have been suggesting that for that reason. I am not a small man, However, I am working on it... I will leave the power alone for now. It's more than enough for me.

My baby...

2000 Yamaha YZF-R1

post-4-1090851794.jpg

tochigidream said:
I love the R1. (wiping drool from my face and dabbing it off my shirt.)
I'm planning on getting a bike this year or next.. R1 or R6. Are there any bike schools here in WA that you guys know of? I've never ridden before, so I want to be fully prepared for what's ahead. I'd like to go to a racing school to become familiar with all the characteristics, and so I don't kill myself. I know the R1 is a killer in the wrong hands and that mine are the wrong hands at this point. I just wonder whether enough training could prepare me for an R1 for my first bike?
I'll likely get an R6.

Dave

Not sure where you can go for training... yes the R1 can be a beast at times.. man do I want Arata's 04 R1!!! Love the exhaust and rear sets!!

I'd say go for the R6... it's more forgiving, very agile... 600cc these days are quick as hell... I was planning on buying an 03 R6 but came across a deal for my R1...

Just a note... it's not the rider once you have experience... it's the other people on the road.. I've had too many close calls with my wife on the back... had a cab try to pass me in my lane since i was off to one side and not in the middle... as he started to pass, i was goin to cross his path to make a turn... man.. happened twice... you need to keep a good look out.. always be aware.. predict what other vehicle may or may not do... plus.. don't be a squid.. BUY GEAR... just had a friend drop his brand new Honda 600RR... a truck and himself where too close to the double line.. he jumped off wearing just a t-thirt... trust me.. not a site to see..

am I dreaming?? I swore tochigidream posted right before me... LMAO... I guess it was deleted..

JaySpec7 said:
am I dreaming?? I swore tochigidream posted right before me... LMAO... I guess it was deleted..

Sorry, yeah I deleted it. Everyone please read what JaySpec replied to.

I decided to delete it, because, after reading some of the threads on the R1-forum, I thought it would be pretty foolish to even think about getting an R1 for a first bike.:eek:

JaySpec7 said:
Not sure where you can go for training... yes the R1 can be a beast at times.. man do I want Arata's 04 R1!!! Love the exhaust and rear sets!!

I'd say go for the R6... it's more forgiving, very agile... 600cc these days are quick as hell... I was planning on buying an 03 R6 but came across a deal for my R1...

Just a note... it's not the rider once you have experience... it's the other people on the road.. I've had too many close calls with my wife on the back... had a cab try to pass me in my lane since i was off to one side and not in the middle... as he started to pass, i was goin to cross his path to make a turn... man.. happened twice... you need to keep a good look out.. always be aware.. predict what other vehicle may or may not do... plus.. don't be a squid.. BUY GEAR... just had a friend drop his brand new Honda 600RR... a truck and himself where too close to the double line.. he jumped off wearing just a t-thirt... trust me.. not a site to see..

I'll be buying all the gear I can get. I've heard when you're riding, to just pretend (realize) that everyone else on the road is out to hit you.

Fellas gotta love that blue. Man, those undertails are really starting to make me want that look.

Nice bikes.
I know you guys are up on this stuff, However, I am attaching a nice site to read about some of the things we may encounter when we ride.

http://www.msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp

Last edited:
What're you guys' opinions on the Honda 600RR? I just got done talking to a guy I know (very knowlegeable about a wide array of bikes), who almost has me completely swayed towards it instead of the R6. Basically, the only reason I can think of to get the R6 over the 600RR, is looks, and that's just not a good enough reason.

Dave

I had my first bike ride on my friend's R6. The first time was kinda scary, but after I overcame my fear, it was a blast!! I remember the first time we went 100mph on the freeway! Whoo-hoo! :D :cool:

MsKadyB said:
I had my first bike ride on my friend's R6. The first time was kinda scary, but after I overcame my fear, it was a blast!! I remember the first time we went 100mph on the freeway! Whoo-hoo! :D :cool:

My first ride was on my friend's R6, too. It's amazing how fun those can be.. whoo-hoo! is right!

regarding the honda 600rr, they are pretty good bikes. In general Honda has been slipping slightly in the hp wars, but their bikes are generally considered to be 'easier' to ride faster. Good riders on any of these bikes will still be competitive on the hondas.

Honda reliability is also generally rated a little higher. Your experience may vary....

I rode the litre class bikes, and chose the 03 954rr. The new 04 1000rr was not quite as comfortable (im 6'1"). The other brands were scary fast, but not quite as easy to control as the Honda.

hope that helps.

huckster said:
regarding the honda 600rr, they are pretty good bikes. In general Honda has been slipping slightly in the hp wars, but their bikes are generally considered to be 'easier' to ride faster. Good riders on any of these bikes will still be competitive on the hondas.

Honda reliability is also generally rated a little higher. Your experience may vary....

I rode the litre class bikes, and chose the 03 954rr. The new 04 1000rr was not quite as comfortable (im 6'1"). The other brands were scary fast, but not quite as easy to control as the Honda.

hope that helps.

That's exactly what my contact said. Thanks for your input! I read a comparison between the 600RR, Kawi 600, Gixxer 600, and Yami R6 in regards to lap times and the racers involved said the RR felt more comfortable and that they didn't feel it would be competitive, but when they tracked it against the others, it came up 1st place. They said, coming out of corners, the R6 felt "twitchy" and that the RR came out with confidence, and the RR is 30lbs. heavier! BTW, the R6 placed dead last. Results may vary, but that's what I read. I think it was from Sport Rider magazine.

Dave

IMO... I'd say get either the R6 or 600RR... those would be the 2 i'd get myself, if I had to choose from the rest...

Ya gotta think... it's your first bike.. whatever 600cc bike you decide to buy will be no different besides looks and comfortabilty... Most guys I know.. buy 600s.. get sick of them.. get 750s, 1000s etc..etc.. then going back to the 600cc to track, since they are more agile... I wouldn't be too concerned about getting the best... you just need a bike to help build up your experience and confidence.. it'll be awhile before you take any bike to it's full potential...

just a thought...

JaySpec7 said:
IMO... I'd say get either the R6 or 600RR... those would be the 2 i'd get myself, if I had to choose from the rest...

Those are the two I was looking at. I don't like Gixxers or Kawi's, so those are out of the question. I've always been a huge Honda fan, so when I started looking hard into the 600RR, it wasn't long before I was (and am) convinced it is the bike for me.:)

Dave

i think that the 600rr would be a great choice. There really arent a ton of differences on these bikes that you'll notice (besides riding position/comfort based upon your build and what feels best to you). Unless you were going to seriously track, in which case you are probably gonna mod anyway.

I will say, in the liter class anyway, the honda felt much more 'controllable' to me. I was lifting the front wheel up on my second day out. I WOULD NOT have felt that comfortable on the other makes. Powerband differences make the other bikes 'twitchier', whereas the honda has a nice steady stream of throttle.

At right at 600 miles, the 954rr feels stronger, but still very predictable. I can see why this bike is a favorite among stunters....

quick funny anecdote; the other day i took an hour off and jumped on the bike (well, after i put on all the armour;)).

I had forgotten that my wife was up the street at the park/pool with some friends/kids.

So im pulling away from the stop like i always do, grab the gas and whoohoo there goes the wheelie.

When she got home later she went on for 20minutes about additional life insurance, having our baby on the spot(she's pregnant), and how the bike was about to flip over.

The only really unfortunate part was that my 4yr old saw it to, and he thought it was 'reallly cool'. Im having some bad rolemodeling guilt to say the least.

Anyway, ride safe and ride where the wives arent... :D

yeah, tell me about it.

Im actually starting to have second doubts about this whole sportsbike thing. I used to ride pretty hard, and the truth of the matter is the only thing these bikes are good for is track, or street wheelies. I can get top end speed in my car (04 xjr). Ive hit 150mph on the cbr, but only for a sec. And for speed and twisties, im always worrying about deer.

Im thinking maybe im really a fast car guy and cruiser bike guy now.....

did you get the 600rr??

Here's my update. After 1000 miles, Im really glad i went ahead and got the cbr954 instead of a 600. I had previous experience with cruisers, and riding aggressively with dirt bikes. So i wasnt exactly a complete novice, but certainly close. Nonetheless, Im now pushing the bike very hard.

My little michelin man is worn ragged, and im down to 1/4 inch chicken strip. Throttling up through corner exits i can feel the adhesion start to give.

This bike is a blast to wheelie. In first gear and can pop it up and keep goosing it through the wheelie to prolong the fun. A new trick i learned is to pop it up and let it fall most of the way then pop it right back up again without letting the front wheel down.

Ive also got a backroads 'course' i run with a nice little set of hills---the first one pops up really steep (about 25 yards) and gets you airborne, letting you land on the top of the second little hill some 40 yards away. It is not as big of a deal as it sounds, because the second little hill is only slightly lower than the first--basically you're just flying over a great big dip in the road. What a blast.

Top speed isnt as fun for me. Ive gotten it up to 165 indicated. I mostly get off in running my little 'road courses'. Cornering is a blast.

So guys, share your stories. Lets hear about the bikes....

I finished the MSF course and got my M license just a few weeks ago... :D Still need to pick up a bike but unfortunetly that's not going to happen anytime soon since school just started recently. :(

Back