• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

spring potholes

I have to tell everyone that I am NOT looking forward to dodging all the potholes in the Chicago area when the weather finally allows me to get my GPW out....is it me or is it worse than ever?!!??:confused:

It is worse than ever... it's been so much colder so it was bound to happen. Luckily the suburbs aren't as bad.

It's pretty bad, even in the suburbs, at least where I live it is bad.

You have to get out there with your daily driver first to make a mental map of the potholes :D

It is so bad here in suburban Detroit I am sadly thinking of selling my car. It was bad enough last summer/fall but roads are even worse now it just makes driving the car (pristing /94 with just under 45,000 miles) on most roads around here quite unpleasant. I'm afraid I either need to move or find a more compliant ride!
Best,
Jeff

The pot holes in Chicago are insane. I can't believe how I have seen absolutely no initiative to fill them. Western has had the same 2 foot wide pot holes in it for months now.

Considering how this city taxes it's residents for the sheer pleasure to breath the air, I would expect this to be fixed by men wearing spats and gold gloves.

I used to live in Toronto and still have friends and family there (as well as maintain membership in the NSX Club of Canada so maybe Bram or one of the other Cdn guys/gals will weigh in). Say what you will about the price of gasoline in The Great White North (US gallon of regular last time I was in Toronto about 3 months ago = approximately C$4.80) but their roads are generally crater-free. Likely that the recent weather has degraded the roads around Toronto since I was last there but most assuredly they are in better shape than ours. I think it is a combination of substandard construction here in the Midwest and lack of funds dedicated to maintenance. It is very unfortunate and in my opinion has quite a negative effect on the ability to enjoy the NSX around these parts. Just my 2 cents.

Best,
Jeff

I heard on the radio this week a bunch of folks who are seasonal road crew are being called in months early all throughout the Chicago-land area to address potholes. There are quite a few intersections in Chicago that are costing IDOT 5+ incidents a day due to blown tires and broken wheels. Talk about a record setting crap-tastic-make-you-wonder-why-the-hell-you-live-here kind of year.

Although this is good news, we all know filling pot holes doesn't work for very long :(

Here's to hoping...

this is what the pot holes around here will do to a nsx.

Did this crack?

Juice, do you still have that spare shell? I was taking to Andrew and Frontline Fabrications recently and he asked me about the billet control arm project we discussed. PM me.

Last edited:
I heard on the radio this week a bunch of folks who are seasonal road crew are being called in months early all throughout the Chicago-land area to address potholes. There are quite a few intersections in Chicago that are costing IDOT 5+ incidents a day due to blown tires and broken wheels. Talk about a record setting crap-tastic-make-you-wonder-why-the-hell-you-live-here kind of year.

Although this is good news, we all know filling pot holes doesn't work for very long :(

Here's to hoping...

Did this crack?

Juice, do you still have that spare shell? I was taking to Andrew and Frontline Fabrications recently and he asked me about the billet control arm project we discussed. PM me.

no crack, could hit it with a hammer and block of wood to get it straight again, but i wouldnt trust it not to crack then.

Yesterday I took out my nsx and drove burbs to downtown.. I never hit and saw that many pot holes before..I regret I drove yesterday..

My standard route to work of I-88 Eastbound to I-355 South is pothole free. If I had snow or all season tires I would have driven it today!

I 80 in joliet is bad. A friend of mine broke a front spring on his semi today, by the bridge over the des plaines river

I did see a real bad one on I-55 S under the I-355 flyer ramps. In the center of the lane though so I'm not sure it has gotten anyone yet.

i'm from Toronto and I do believe potholes are worse than ever. The quick changes in temperatures, the flash freezes, along with long delays for city repairs is our current state. I noticed in the central core, they are simply patching , which is better than nothing. I drive a fair distance every day and I think of this as well, when I jump into my NSX in the upcoming months.

had the replace the steelie once on the is250 due to massive pothole. tpms went off immeidately lol... had to get an alignment as well. the suv dived into a pothole once, but luckly an alignment was all i needed.

Lost a wheel to a pothole a couple weeks ago on Route 12 near Volo on our Jetta cost us about $450. It was not repairable

In Ottawa this is a constant problem, I've heard Honda and BMW (among other car companies) constantly engage the City and ask for a more serious plan for fixing potholes.

This year it will be twice as bad, and I am not looking forward to it.

... Still though that is not hindering my itch to get the nsx out on the road as soon as I can.

Back