• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Springs install

I think I have an idea of how this job would be, but wanted to ask around about the difficulty of this job. I am contemplating either the eibach's or the H&R's. I have a friend who has the tools, but if it is a job that we could do (he is very experienced with the NSX) I may try to bribe him to make this a Saturday project for us.

I know an alignment will be in order, so I would take it to a pro for this. Thanks for any and all help.

Chuck

Also: from experience do you find the springs a better method of "affordable" suspension lowering, or the bilsteins on a lower perch (installation and ride "quality")? Thanks again.

I did mine with a friend who was not experienced in lowering NSX's but had plenty of eperience with other honda's, we had no problems. I lowered my car with springs and swapped out the bilsteins, I contemplated coiloevers but in reality my car is not a track rat and I am not going to be playing with the height nor compression and rebound settings.

You will still have to get it aligned ~ $100.

It's pretty straightforward, a search will offer many posts on the topic. Should take you 4-5 hours, I'd recommend using the spring compressor to shorten the spring/strut package before you try to pull it out of the car. Watch out for your rear CV boots, as it's easy to poke holes in them when withdrawling the struts. If you shrink the length of the struts, you will do a lot less swearing getting them out. Enjoy!

Fronts are easy. more manipulation of spring/strut positioning to get it in.

Rears....best trick was to get one of those wench/nylon ties you use for moving to restrain big appliances. Attach to your wheel studs crank it till you can't anymore till your rear a arms go all the way down. You will not have to need a friend jump on suspension for you. I did it alone and it was simple. Before that, I was swearing intensely.:mad:

changing the springs is harder than just doing coil overs which is a swap in swap out deal. you need a spring compressor to take the springs off the structs.:smile:

The job SUCKS. Front or rear doesn't matter. They both suck. Helpful hint, unbolt the swaybar links on all 4 corners. Spring compressors are a must, but hard to fit in the very confined spaces because they have to be compressed ALOT. I hated every single second of it. Took me well over 6 hours.

Alright, I am second guessing this spring route. Sounds like a job too complex for the simple result I am looking for. I want to lower my car approx. an inch or so, and still have good ride and performance (good, because I don't really track the car, so I just need a set-up that maintains driveability and acceptable performance).

What is the word on the Bilstein route? I think they lower the car only 0.5 inch correct? Thanks for the info guys. This is exactly what I was looking for.

It's just over 3/4" between the 2 perches. It's visibly noticeable, and I noticed it again the first few times getting into the car. That nice smooth motion you've developed for entering the vehicle no longer works very well.

It's interesting to read the responses in other threads. I used compressors on the car until the spring was loosely rattling around. I removed the lower bolt and then pushed the axle down until it bottomed out. Some people say the assemblies should just pop out at this point, but some, like mine, don't. The charged stock struts were too long by about 1/4" or so to clear the frame, so I had to compress the struts and simultaneously finagle them out. A 2nd set of hands helps a lot. I've done struts on several cars and this was the only time I've had some trouble. I recall the rears were easier, but I don't remember if they just came right out. The Bilsteins are just a hair shorter than the stock struts, so they went right in. I don't know if the differences are due to subtle design changes or differences in manufacturing tolerances. Another 1-2* rotation of the axle would have been enough. Or maybe some higher-mileage cars have flat struts that don't extend all the way.

I have beer and a spring compressor!

I think the rears were easier. It's true though about the assembly being too long. With the suspension at FULL forced droop, the spring is still under lots of tension without compressing the spring. Even then, after the springs are compressed to where the top of the spring falls out of the oem top "spring bucket", the shock is still hard to compress. But once you get the lower leg clear of the mount on the A arm or even sitting on mount, you can bang on it to completely clear the mount. I find it easiest at this point to let the lower leg of the shock drop down into a gap around the mount, then pull the top part of the shock out of the well wheel.

I had a bad time taking my stock setup out. I was even considering plasma cutting a coil and turning one half of the coil to let the shock compress enough.

Oh, do oem springs on bilsteins on lower perch. Simple and wonderful with a lifetime warranty.

Curious, with 18's up front will have fitment issues with a Bilstein/OEM spring setup? I could probably search this, but I'm too lazy and fresh off some minor surgery...so hook a fellow Primer up! Thanks.

Ok, this may sound crazy but, I jacked mine up, put it on stands, then jacked up lower a arm to compress the spring. I used hose clamps, good quality, and screwed them around 3 coils on two sides(two clamps). When you let the a arm down the spring will stay compressed and you don't have the spring compressor in your way. I have also used the huge nylon zip ties in the past, however they do stretch a little.

That's one hell of a neat twist to the process! I'd be a bit nervous of the hose clamps snapping though. Crazy thing is.... I'd try it still! Thanks for that bit of info.

I know that the spring compressors I rented from "Kragen/Parts America/Checker" sucked because they wouldn't fit very well in the wheel well. So I ended up compressing them and they'd bend sideways, threatening to slip off and chop off my fingers or take out my eyes, or crack my skull, etc, etc.

I would however.... wouldn't be AS hesitant to try with 3 monster sized hose clamps though...

My Bilstien/stock springs on lower perch netted a ride ht. drop of 7/8's which I like a lot on my '91. Got the shocks from NOPI for $480 shipped. Tom

Back