• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

St. Louis area ownership

When I looked at the sallelite photo, looked like there were a couple of old Corvettes or Camaros in front of one of the sections. No mention on any of the sites other than appeared to be cars stored in one of the areas. Imagine the smoke from tires, batteries and interiors. Hope not on the NSX's.

Dragon Lady out the last 3 out of 4 nights and what an absolute delight to be behind the wheel. My most favorite part is to look in the mirror and see the clowns coming up at 30 over to hover on your tail and attempt to be jerks before abruptly swinging into the next lane. As I see them coming, a little downshift and slowdown, then.........................................hit to the floor and leave them in the dust. When they pass, it's all I can do not to stick out my tongue. Just give them the "Oh you idiot" look. It's a bite being a 30 year old mind imprisoned in an almost ;80 year old body.

Check out the clouds, letter perfect day 70's in St Louis virtually non existent this time of year.Head East I370 St. Louis.jpg

Can't believe it's been since July that we've posted here. Out today, new rear shocks, fronts and tires in the spring, fresh oil change, inspections, and the Dragon Lady is quieter than a Rolls Royce. Proven at Fast Lane Cars a while back. Realizing that we haven't put many miles on this year, and about to turn 105K.
She is better than when I bought her 9 (holy cow) years ago, runs like a scared rabbit, and I sincerely enjoy taking the cloverleafs in 2nd at 50, (believe that and I have a bridge to sell). The rears show it. Getting about 10,000. The fronts 20-30k and still showing good depth. No tracking, no stupid stuff, just pure enjoyment. Old guys need to have fun too.
D

Good Morning and a blessed week to all of you who read this column. Can't believe that we've been the only poster since the beginning of the Covidfiasco, all one word. Come on gang, prove me wrong. You guys have to be taking your cars out. The Dragon Lady was out a couple of times last week.

Is anyone out there, (Buehler, Buehler, anyone, Buehler??)

Just watched that classic about a month ago. Forgot much was shot in Chicago. Have spend some time at Mungenast , as now we've got 3 cars to take in for service, we added my wife's Accord this year. Wouldn't entrust them to anyone else, especially the aging ones. Not only are they a great team, most of the mechanical staff are long timers, some have been there since the beginning, and guys with that experience are training the new ones.

I probably have put on about 500 miles since covid. Took out to the winery about 2-3 weeks ago and I take it out at least once a week to exercise her. I did one autocross with her this year, but replaced her track duties with another (911) so now she is just a cruising car. I have a feeling will not get as many miles on her as I have in the past couple years but still my favorite.

In the words of "Chicken Man" WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

After much research, input from many, the Dragon Lady has a new set of Extreme Contact Continentals and new OEM shocks all the way around. Hard to find, we got the last 2 available at least currently, now on national b/o. As always, outstanding job from St. Louis Acura, Steve Moss & team, and she rides like a new vehicle. Only problem is that I was having such a good time using my clutch foot, that it brought on Plantar Fascitis, so.............................on hold for only short easy trips.
Can't believe there have been no posts since Nov.
Wondering who is taking their cars out now that we have some decent driving weather.
Blessings,

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.................................................is anyone out there or am I the Lone Ranger. Dragon Lady gets exercised at least once a week. New Conti Extreme Contacts coming around after wearing off the mold lube. Testing the stickiness for all season tires, and the heat and mileage is helping. Found them to be the most recommended by Tire Rack, once I did a heap of questioning, and here on Prime as well, though not much info on performance before we made the decision. I'm happy so far. Didn't want to spend a fortune, as in the past the Direzzas and the Bridgestones worked for yours truly.

Anyone out? I don't see any of our model on the road as has been the case in previous summers. See at least 2 or 3. No shows etc. Hoping all will come back. Enjoy the summer, hope someone will be posting. Can't believe everyone is sitting around with Masks on.

Last week trip to a barn find destination close to home, and found a slug of old Corvettes, a couple (3) Chrysler/Maserati TC's and an absolute bunch of classics in reasonably good condition.

I was at the cars and coffee at Westport. I honestly have not put a lot of miles on mine since the new mistress entered my life.

Donk, how goes? Jeff up here in MI. Couple questions if you don't mind.

You reference your new tires -- Conti Extreme Contacts. Are these the summer Extreme Contact Sports or the all season Extreme Contact DWS06? I have the summer Extreme Contact Sports. They are OK but as I've mentioned in a number of posts I feel I have traded off some handling ability (and FWIW the part I believe I've traded is that extra measure of grip/stick that was so confidence inspiring) for ride comfort. I think I want the confidence inspiring grip/stick back and I'm willing to suffer a harsher/noisier ride.

What I really want to ask you about is how the car was before your new struts/shocks. I happen to have a complete set of OEM brand new struts/shocks, springs and other ancillary hardware sitting on a shelf in the garage that I have not yet had installed. A couple of years ago I figured that I would buy the necessary parts for a suspension refresh. My car only has 55,000 miles but it is a /94. What were your "before" and "after" impressions? Thanks in advance.

Best,
Jeff

Jeff,
Had run Bridgestones (0n the car when I purchased) and Direzzas following for the next 8 years, as I wanted to keep tire costs below the 1k mark, since 10,000 was life on the rears. Fronts held for 30,000. Yours truly is not a pro, just an old guy with almost 65 years of driving and who knows how many million miles under the belt @ at least 50-60k/yr for 40 years . Aggressive and pushing the envelope at times.
New struts and shocks came within the last 2 years, preventive maintenance, car is at 105,000. Last was the front this year, not leaking, but when the first bolt came out on both, they fell apart. Never an issue, just rode hard and noisy the last 2, prior to replacement. Now the only noise is the rattling targa.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06+ reingineered this year. All season rather than just the summer issue as I drive year around if the O/S temp is above 45. For the first 2-300 miles, getting rid of the mold separation lube, the front end was a bit squirrely. Running 205's, which someone mentioned were closer to 215's due to manufacture by Conti. Was told about this by a friend in the car business with an Audi coupe after the fact with the same complaint.

Am in the learning process now, with about 500 miles on the tires. My testing consists of a couple of 30 suggested cloverleafs, a couple of tight bridge overpasses that most slow to suggested 40 and i can take comfortably now at let's say uh, highway speeds, and a wonderful U under a bridge after a stoplight, for a 90 and full throttle start, along with a 90 degree entrance to the interstate, which we'll soon try at full throttle in second. Almost lost it here, (worn Direzzas, after not taking body weight difference of my passenger at the time 100 lbs difference. Shame on me.

So far so good. Grip is now improving, hot temps have helped I think to cure the tread. Best is now the ride and control and since we don't track the car, or drive it in rain or snow, thinking the all season Conti's are best for my usage. I'm told that flat spots in the cold weather are common until these heat up, however I usually don't let her rest for more than a week at a time unless I have to.

Pardon the length, but hope this helps. I'm a happy camper so far. Just need a little more time in the car. After 11 years of ownership and the best techs in the business, (we've had at least one Acura since they came out), the relationships and the care is absolutely fantastic. And.................this machine is a wonderful psychologist. Listens, is responsive to touch, provides counsel, and doesn't talk back unless I make a mistake.

Blessings,
Don

Last edited:
Hey Don,

Appreciate the response and no apologies necessary for the length. I prefer detail to incomplete sound bites (read: the manner in which the younger folks in my office speak -- lack of detail leading to mistakes -- not good).

I can help you out a bit with the flat spotting in cold weather as I have the same DWS 06 on my spare daily driver (04 TL w/189,000 extremely trouble-free miles - could not bear to part company with it when I got a new car). These tires do tend to be a bit lumpy if cool out, in my case even if car is not driven for as little as two days, however after a couple of miles they smooth out. I like them a lot on the TL. Glad they are working out for you.

Thanks for your input regarding the struts/shocks. While my car has half the miles yours does my tech told me that the rears are binding somewhat and I suspect that a suspension refresh will happen in the next year or so for me. I have all of the parts so might as well do the job and enjoy the car.

Yes, agree with you that the car is not only a wonderful mental health professional, but a trusty and enjoyable companion (and being very pretty does not hurt either). Take care!

Best,
Jeff

I just put the Extreme Contact Continental all seasons DWSO6 on our Genesis G90 all wheel drive this spring. VERY happy. Wild tread design! I was going to buy a Bentley and ended up with the Genesis. It is my Bentley without the $$$$$ maintenance. The only thing that my G90 does not have that the Bentley has is massaging seats. I figured for 1/5 the price, I can forgo that. It is an absolute dream mobile!

As for Monkeyass Acura, I can tell you my 3 nightmare stories. I wouldn't let them work on my garden cart. Glad you love them though. For years, I have taking my NSX to Acura Of Brookfield.

Back to tires, in 2017 I put on a pair of Yokohama S Drives on the rear. They have about 1k miles on them now. I still have Bridgestone REOs on the front, but they are looking thin. I had them all around, but as we know, we go through 3 rears for every 1 front.

Last edited:
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.................................................is anyone out there or am I the Lone Ranger. Dragon Lady gets exercised at least once a week. New Conti Extreme Contacts coming around after wearing off the mold lube. Testing the stickiness for all season tires, and the heat and mileage is helping. Found them to be the most recommended by Tire Rack, once I did a heap of questioning, and here on Prime as well, though not much info on performance before we made the decision. I'm happy so far. Didn't want to spend a fortune, as in the past the Direzzas and the Bridgestones worked for yours truly.

Anyone out? I don't see any of our model on the road as has been the case in previous summers. See at least 2 or 3. No shows etc. Hoping all will come back. Enjoy the summer, hope someone will be posting. Can't believe everyone is sitting around with Masks on.

Last week trip to a barn find destination close to home, and found a slug of old Corvettes, a couple (3) Chrysler/Maserati TC's and an absolute bunch of classics in reasonably good condition.

Went to the Euro Car Show Sunday. It was at Mini Of St. Louis this year. Rather small in comparison to all the other Euro Car Shows over the years that I have been going.
Spent a week in May on Amelia Island and went all 4 days to the Concours d'Elegance. After that, everything else will be just OK. THAT event was beyond incredible. The creme de la creme.

Good Morning and a blessed week to all of you who read this column. Can't believe that we've been the only poster since the beginning of the Covidfiasco, all one word. Come on gang, prove me wrong. You guys have to be taking your cars out. The Dragon Lady was out a couple of times last week.

Is anyone out there, (Buehler, Buehler, anyone, Buehler??)

Just watched that classic about a month ago. Forgot much was shot in Chicago. Have spend some time at Mungenast , as now we've got 3 cars to take in for service, we added my wife's Accord this year. Wouldn't entrust them to anyone else, especially the aging ones. Not only are they a great team, most of the mechanical staff are long timers, some have been there since the beginning, and guys with that experience are training the new ones.

This past year I put on a Seibon carbon fiber wing from LMPerformance in Fla., carbon fiber rear window garnish from carbon_racing2015 on ebay, a double din Pioneer DMH-2660NEX stereo from Best Buy, a carbon fiber console (ashtray delete), carbon fiber door bezels, carbon fiber door sills (large and small), had my vent wrapped with C F, all from EuroBoutique. So now I am into the 21st century a bit. That is what I was up to this past year. Oh, and I drove 124 miles so far this year.

Jeff,
Thanks for your reply. Had to do with 4 Acuras prior to the current one, all but one close to 200,000. One of them saved my life after a blowout, (98 TL) , steering lock up and a "flight" down 40' into a concrete culvert. Walked away. Just now, 15 years later feeling the effects of the shake up.
Blessings,
Don

Congratulations are in order to Kurt Mungenast and his staff on the Precision Team Award for the 29th time, keeping them in the top spot nationwide. These folks have been a constant help for the past 35 years to this boy, and I wouldn't take the occupants of my vehicle stable, anywhere else. Service group is best in the business IMHO. A company is known by the people it keeps. There are a lot of long timers that have been experts in their craft since the beginning of the brand.

Hey Don,

Appreciate the response and no apologies necessary for the length. I prefer detail to incomplete sound bites (read: the manner in which the younger folks in my office speak -- lack of detail leading to mistakes -- not good).

I can help you out a bit with the flat spotting in cold weather as I have the same DWS 06 on my spare daily driver (04 TL w/189,000 extremely trouble-free miles - could not bear to part company with it when I got a new car). These tires do tend to be a bit lumpy if cool out, in my case even if car is not driven for as little as two days, however after a couple of miles they smooth out. I like them a lot on the TL. Glad they are working out for you.

Best,
Jeff

Jeff,
Didn't quite follow the flat spotting on the tires until after the Dragon Lady sat for a week recently. I'm thinking as I roll down the interstate I've been driving for years, "what's wrong with the front end?" Wobble wobble on flat pavement not bad just very slight and unnerving. Ding, the bell goes off, and I remember your comment on 2 days. True True. Took some warming on an 80 degree day and all's well. Funky. Getting used to them though, the grip gets better with age. Thanks for the info.
Don

Indeed Don. The lumpiness is not violent but just enough to indicate something is a bit off with the ride. In short order it is gone but it is just a bit annoying and the first time it happens is a surprise. Enjoy what is left of the long weekend.

Best,
Jeff

Taking the Lady out today, I need some time with her and the weather is perfect. Interestingly enough, discovered we have a 1 of 87 in the St. Louis general area.

Walked in to say hello to the guys at Mungenast Acura, where we have taken all of our cars since the Legend came out in 87, and viola', sitting in one of the bays was a Midnight Pearl Purple 95 or 96. Haven't seen at any of the gatherings, but it's drop dead gorgeous, and if it's a 96 and black interior, it is one of 13 or 20, if a 95, one of 30 or 24, depending on the interior and transmission. Always admired this color combo and is a fav next to my formula red.

Nice to see another owner in our area, and either welcome, and/or glad to have you here, if you've been around for a while and we just haven't met. (notice we didn't say "run into one another" X ) Hope that you're plugged into Prime.

signed,
One of the oldest guys, I'm sure, still enjoying and driving one of these fine machines.

Last edited:
Just trying to keep flat spots off the tires during the rainy fall we've been having. Anyone else out?

Cars and Coffee this am with a couple of good friends over the past 10 years, both NSX owners. Where has the time gone? Only one NSX (one of the 3 of us) at the showing, a small one in comparison to pre Covid, and mostly late model, and a relatively cold morning 43. I was running late and the Dragon Lady is under her winter blanket, and would have missed the guys. Have to plan better. Relationships much more important than metal, though ....................

I have a relationship with the car as well. She just does what I want, never disappoints, and never talks back. A perfect psychologist and mistress that my bride of 58 years has allowed me to have for the past 10.

Grins,
Don

Last edited:
We've got heavy rain and snow on the way, the rain recently washed most of the salt off the streets and with a 60 degree day, and not having taken the Dragon Lady out from under her covers since early December, just had to do it. Ahh, the feeling of the Continentals, (no flat spots) imagine that, and fresh oil change and tranny fluid in November, she ran........................perfectly and quietly ( still fully stock @ 107,000 ) after warming up for about 15 miles, only noise is when the Vtec kicks in, and it's wonderful.

My rule of thumb, no heavy acceleration until the engine temp is correct. However, with a bonehead on my tail on the turn to the West Bound interstate, at 60, downshift and to the floor. Too bad no dust for him to eat, it was too dry. Took him a good mile for him to catch up. Oh what a feeling!

Shutting down, she was almost as quiet as my TLX with all the windows closed. All smiles, as we await the Ice and Snow.

Last edited:
Back