• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Starting Price of low $150,000 range. Nope!!!!

It seems like not alot are really lining up for this car.

I think you may be underestimating the appeal of the new NSX by basing your belief on what you read on Prime. In all honesty, I don't believe the new NSX is being marketed to current owners. Only a relatively small percentage of current owners could even afford a new NSX when you factor in options and taxes that will bring the car over $175k. The fan base of the current NSX just is not the market for the new one with new price point.

And those who can afford one are not necessarily the types to say they have to drop that much money on a car simply because it is called an NSX. I have had my '96 for 16 years now, have almost 155,000 miles and 12,000 track miles and I have no desire to buy the new one. I enjoy mine just as much as the day I bought it and feel no urge to "upgrade" to the new one. If I wanted to get a new sports car I would keep my current NSX and buy a different car altogether.

There is a market for the new NSX but I do not believe it is made up of current owners except for a nominal percentage who will purchase it because of loyalty to the name "NSX".

Last edited:
When they shared tech with the RLX, the price was going to be closer to $100k. Once they went to the dedicated longitudinal powertrain, cost went up.

RSO 34,

You are spot on regarding the appeal and marketing. I was just at my local Acura dealership and had a pleasant conversation with one of the sales reps. He was quite knowledgeable and what he shared was quite intriguing. Here in the upper Midwest where exotics are a rarity, this particular dealership has already accepted deposits on 7. One guy placed deposits for two! When I queried about the buyers he said that he didn't think any are current NSX owners. Sadly, he admitted that most of the guys acquiring a new NSX aren't even fully interested in the car and he believed that they were going to "flip" the vehicles shortly after taking delivery.

So for me, I'll probably sit for a year and let all the silliness subside before nabbing one. Sounds like a similar scenario played out during the release of the original in 1991.

When they shared tech with the RLX, the price was going to be closer to $100k. Once they went to the dedicated longitudinal powertrain, cost went up.

Even RLX tech doesn't exist anymore. The hybrid RLX was way overpriced and quietly pulled from the market after less than a year. I don't think Acura sold any. Wonder what genius in Acura came up with that sales strategy?

I'm very curious what will happen to the NSX after the first 1.5 years on the market. I've waited a long time already and can afford to wait a bit more.

In consideration of currency exchange on the world market, and in consideration of Gen1 NSX's all being made outside of North America, the price to Canadian's that wanted to purchase one prior to the magical 15yr mark required you had a large wallet capable of carrying a solid $140K!! The Canadian currency a decade ago was $0.60 that of the US greenback.

Enter 2015 and people are surprised by a price of $150K? Not.... Will be north of $200K for us here in Canada by the time you account for currency exchange and taxes.

My '91 still garners all the looks, even more talk, and I bet HP aside, will continue to track just as well as the Gen2 model commanding 3-4 times the price. Those that can afford a new one can enjoy on my behalf. :)

Hopefully once Acura releases hard numbers on power output and performance data it'll help give more context as to whether $150,000 is reasonable or not. I remember when I bought my two NSXs over twenty years ago the thinking wasn't about things like prestige or brand loyalty. It was about what the car was capable of doing and what it was like to drive.

I hope the new one wins people over because of its capabilities and not just because it's an NSX.

Z6j8vu.gif

The $150,000 NSX will definitely exceed the performance of the $150,000 R8 V10. And it will most likely exceed the performance $170,000 V10 Plus too. Also what do true performance hybrids from the VW Group cost (e.g. Porsche, Lamborghini)? Astronomically more. All things considered the new NSX looks to be a good value relative to the competition.

If the OP thinks it's overpriced then please tell us which cars offer similar technology, looks, and performance for less. Ultimately Honda should price it relative to the other cars in the marketplace without any bias for what the original NSX cost. Most customers expect the Acura brand to be a "good value", but not the cheapest. This is what Honda has done.

Last edited:
Aside from looks, technology, and performance, though, I'd also want the interior finishing and the general level of refinement to be right up there with the best. Not having seen the car in person, I think quite a few prospective buyers would be put off if there were any substantial amount of hard plastics or faux leather trim in the interior. Here's hoping Honda/Acura has truly figured out what the market expects.

This is the only new picture I've been able to find of the interior. I see the silver that many people disliked is gone from the steering wheel. It looks like there's carbon fiber on sections of the wheel instead.

CJqyiWkUkAA8bgu.jpg:large

Looks much better in black. Nicely done, Acura.

As is clear from that last photo above, if you get the black interior, you are then required to wear all-black attire (right down to the face of your watch) whenever driving the car. :biggrin:

I like the "NSX" lettering just beyond the driver's shoulder next to where I am guessing the door handle is. Just like the first-gen NSX, where it should be.

Well at least at 150k it can prop up the value of gen 1. Depreciation could be much more steeper of gen 1 if gen 2 is 100k.

I think you may be underestimating the appeal of the new NSX by basing your belief on what you read on Prime. In all honesty, I don't believe the new NSX is being marketed to current owners. Only a relatively small percentage of current owners could even afford a new NSX when you factor in options and taxes that will bring the car over $175k. The fan base of the current NSX just is not the market for the new one with new price point.

And those who can afford one are not necessarily the types to say they have to drop that much money on a car simply because it is called an NSX. I have had my '96 for 16 years now, have almost 155,000 miles and 12,000 track miles and I have no desire to buy the new one. I enjoy mine just as much as the day I bought it and feel no urge to "upgrade" to the new one. If I wanted to get a new sports car I would keep my current NSX and buy a different car altogether.

There is a market for the new NSX but I do not believe it is made up of current owners except for a nominal percentage who will purchase it because of loyalty to the name "NSX".

Very well said! ��

+1.

This is the only new picture I've been able to find of the interior. I see the silver that many people disliked is gone from the steering wheel. It looks like there's carbon fiber on sections of the wheel instead.

CJqyiWkUkAA8bgu.jpg:large

forgive me father for I have sinned.....:wink:

Even RLX tech doesn't exist anymore. The hybrid RLX was way overpriced and quietly pulled from the market after less than a year. I don't think Acura sold any. Wonder what genius in Acura came up with that sales strategy?

No, the hybrid RLX was significantly delayed, but now they are in dealer lots. Only problem is that production is extremely limited. Really a disaster for that model because all the reviews ended up being for the FWD version which simply isn't a credible alternative to the other cars in that class.

http://www.acura.com/tools/bap/buil...tNzMxUHxIQzp1bmRlZmluZWR8SUM6RU58Tzp8TzI6fA==

No, the hybrid RLX was significantly delayed, but now they are in dealer lots. Only problem is that production is extremely limited. Really a disaster for that model because all the reviews ended up being for the FWD version which simply isn't a credible alternative to the other cars in that class.

http://www.acura.com/tools/bap/buil...tNzMxUHxIQzp1bmRlZmluZWR8SUM6RU58Tzp8TzI6fA==

I test drove one and thought the handling dynamics were very artificial last winter. Then, when I wrote the quote above, the hybrid model didn't appear on Acura's website. It does now... go figure.

I think all of the RLX models are priced about $7k too high. I know I don't see any around here.

Back