• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steering Rack Knock Bush

Mine worked for a lil bit then the knock came back. Not sure if it popped out of position. What did you guys use to keep it in place?

I ended up just buying a new rack In the end. But I didn’t notice a difference other then the noise went away for a lil bit.

I talked to another person who installed this and said the steering became ultra stiff, brut he said it will break in and loosen up. Another person I talked to said he installed it and did not experience the stiffness. What are some of the experience you guys encounter after install?

I bought mine late 2019 and just got around to installing it. Before with the car in the air, I could twirl the steering wheel with my index finger. Now I have to muscle it with both arms. I have positive caster of ~8 degrees, so the steering used to return to center with ease. Now I have to muscle it back to "centerish" when I took it for a test drive today.

Needless to say, this is dangerous on the road and now I'm thinking about trying to pull the bushing out. I'm a bit perturbed as I'm wondering how to get this thing removed.

Or, is this what some experienced labeling it as "ultra stiff?" Is there hope I might get it broken in and only end up with 20-40% more effort as others have said?

I bought mine late 2019 and just got around to installing it. Before with the car in the air, I could twirl the steering wheel with my index finger. Now I have to muscle it with both arms. I have positive caster of ~8 degrees, so the steering used to return to center with ease. Now I have to muscle it back to "centerish" when I took it for a test drive today.

Needless to say, this is dangerous on the road and now I'm thinking about trying to pull the bushing out. I'm a bit perturbed as I'm wondering how to get this thing removed.

Or, is this what some experienced labeling it as "ultra stiff?" Is there hope I might get it broken in and only end up with 20-40% more effort as others have said?
I tried one of the earliest versions of this and in my case I noticed improvement in the "knock" but don't recall any change to steering effort. I do remember a few hundred miles later that the "knock" came back. I have a feeling the tolerances of those bushings might be all over the place. I know NSX Rack Repair rebuilds these so there must be a way to take it all apart. Doesn't sound fun though...

I eventually just bought a new OEM manual rack.. then later switched to the faster JDM AP1 EPS. Been on the EPS ever since.

Les had some bad batch of bushings. Ask for replacement or contact scrapdog. Joe has good ones.

Thanks @RYU and @acuhon . Regan, I think you and I were one of the first two manual racks that those guys rebuilt... that was like 2010/2011 timeframe IIRC. At that time they didn't have a replacement teflon bushing or anything like that.... Now I have no desire to pull the rack and send it in again anyways. I may just end up buying a new rack, we'll see.

But, it is definitely getting easier after 50 miles. Instead of requiring two arms to turn the wheel, I can now muscle it with one arm! I'll see if Les responds....

Thanks @RYU and @acuhon . Regan, I think you and I were one of the first two manual racks that those guys rebuilt... that was like 2010/2011 timeframe IIRC. At that time they didn't have a replacement teflon bushing or anything like that.... Now I have no desire to pull the rack and send it in again anyways. I may just end up buying a new rack, we'll see.

But, it is definitely getting easier after 50 miles. Instead of requiring two arms to turn the wheel, I can now muscle it with one arm! I'll see if Les responds....
Given how fast mine wore out, I don't expect yours will take long to "break in", but my experience is that it will get loose soon after lol

Back