• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

stereo question...

Can someone tell me if its possible,and if so ,what do I need,to run my slacker radio (my phone)through my stereo using a 3.5mm cord.
I saw the usaspec adapter SOS sells,but i need 3.5mm instead of an ipod cord.
Thanks, Gary

If your phone supports bluetooth (most do these days), the Grom adapter + Bluetooth dongle will support streaming audio to the OEM radio. No wires to tangle with.

http://gromaudio.com/store/aux_adap...aux-in_mp3_bluetooth_ipod_iphone_adapter.html

The Grom actually gives you both wired and wireless and costs less than the usaspec. If you want even simpler and have an iPhone you can use this for $36

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/iDeck-Integrated-Cassette-iPod-Adapter/4310918/product.html

Last edited:
I have a question for your stereo geeks :)

Is there an interface where I can use my phone's BT to directly interface into an RCA in?

I'm currently using the car docking station for my Android Samsung Galaxy S2. The functionality is great and it even has a mini amp via the stereo outputs from the Micro USB (I don't need to plug a 1/8" headphone-to-RCA) BUT the sound quality is horrible. They maximized it for voice output i'm sure.

What i'd really like is a device where it plugs into the RCA inputs i've wired directly into the OEM harness (inputs for the Bose amps) which has a BT receiver and amp.

Hope i'm making sense.

UPDATE: Seems like they're everywhere. Anyone had any luck with these?
https://www.google.com/webhp?source....r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1264&bih=615

You're going to have an issue with that, I think the voltage will be too low and you will get a lot of noise because of it. You can try it, it's cheap, but my gut feeling is that the blows amps want to see more voltage. Bluetooth sucks anyway why do you want all it's headaches instead of just doing a real wire?

You're going to have an issue with that, I think the voltage will be too low and you will get a lot of noise because of it. You can try it, it's cheap, but my gut feeling is that the blows amps want to see more voltage. Bluetooth sucks anyway why do you want all it's headaches instead of just doing a real wire?
Appreciate the input!

Here's what I have now and it's doing ok. I directly wire my 3.5mm phone earphone jack to RCA inputs directly to the OEM harness. I took out the factory OEM stereo completely. The sound is as good as the stock radio (which isn't the best to begin with but fine for me for now). I just need to rewire the power source since the cig lighter is extremely noisy in our cars. The volume/gain/output voltage seems to be matched up pretty well. I'm at a volume of 6 on my phone (max 15) to be at comfortable listening volume.

I also use a BT wireless speaker at my house and the quality via a BT stream is actually quite decent. Definitely enough for me if placed in the car.

I'd like to not fuss with so many wires plugged into my phone and/or tablet so was hoping the BT option would work. I guess i'll have to try it out.

Issues I expect to encounter:
1. How convenient will pairing be? If I need to pair it everytime I jump in the car i'll be super annoyed. Some units pair automatically it seems.
2. I'd like for it to turn off and on with the car automatically. Meaning i'll power it up via the car's ACC.
3. I'd like it to have a decent speaker for hand-free calls (not super important but nice to have feature)
4. I'd like to preserve my docking station for the phone. It's easy. I snug it in and there's a slide feature that connects the micro usb. All in one motion the phone is in car dock mode and it's charging. No other wires to plug in and make a mess of things.

There are a couple online i'm looking at but reviews are all over the place. 1-5 stars for almost every unit. Ugh...

I have a question for your stereo geeks :)

Is there an interface where I can use my phone's BT to directly interface into an RCA in?

I'm currently using the car docking station for my Android Samsung Galaxy S2. The functionality is great and it even has a mini amp via the stereo outputs from the Micro USB (I don't need to plug a 1/8" headphone-to-RCA) BUT the sound quality is horrible. They maximized it for voice output i'm sure.

What i'd really like is a device where it plugs into the RCA inputs i've wired directly into the OEM harness (inputs for the Bose amps) which has a BT receiver and amp.

Hope i'm making sense.

UPDATE: Seems like they're everywhere. Anyone had any luck with these?
https://www.google.com/webhp?source....r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1264&bih=615

I'm using one of these for a project right now. It's an A2DP receiver *and* transmitter. So far it works well and sounds good. It needs 5V power so I rigged up a cheapo eBay USB car adapter as a power supply and wired it to accessory power. Set it to "auto" and it links up every time.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-BMR-20-Bluelink2-Bluetooth/dp/B006IT8G30

41TojtpY3pL.jpg

Russ, pardon my ignorance. What's the difference between a two-way where the BT unit is a receiver and a transmitter. Does this mean the BT unit itself can transmit to say a car's BT interface? So it's BT to BT?

another question, will you be using this for hands free phone calls as well?

thanks much for your help and advice.
I'm using one of these for a project right now. It's an A2DP receiver *and* transmitter. So far it works well and sounds good. It needs 5V power so I rigged up a cheapo eBay USB car adapter as a power supply and wired it to accessory power. Set it to "auto" and it links up every time.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-BMR-20-Bluelink2-Bluetooth/dp/B006IT8G30

41TojtpY3pL.jpg
BTW, it seems this is getting great reviews for sound quality and ease of use. It's more expensive and only a receiver though.
http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Re...tBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R2H7M5UU0H0Y46

Russ, pardon my ignorance. What's the difference between a two-way where the BT unit is a receiver and a transmitter. Does this mean the BT unit itself can transmit to say a car's BT interface? So it's BT to BT?

another question, will you be using this for hands free phone calls as well?

thanks much for your help and advice.
BTW, it seems this is getting great reviews for sound quality and ease of use. It's more expensive and only a receiver though.
http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Re...tBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R2H7M5UU0H0Y46

Bluelink2 operates in two modes: as a receiver, music is transmitted wirelessly via bluetooth (from an iPhone, Android device etc.) to the Bluelink, which in turn outputs an analog signal that is used as an input to your sound system. As a transmitter, it does just the opposite: it accepts an analog input and transmits it via bluetooth to whatever device you wish, bluetooth headphones for example. I use it only as a receiver.

The Bluelink2 does not support handsfree calling, only music streaming. Actually this is one of the reasons I'm using it (the other being it powers up and links automatically). The vehicle I'm using it in (not the NSX) already has a separate handsfree (Johnson Controls Blueconnect) which works really well, and my wife is used to it, so I needed something that only supported streaming.

If you need handsfree also, the only game in town for the NSX is the Grom. It has several configurations so you can set it up the way you like. The USB feature is really cool, it essentially replaces the CD changer with a USB stick. I decided to forgo the wired approach in favor of bluetooth-only because I prefer not to physically attach the phone every time I get in the car, and I dislike wires dangling around my interior, especially one as tight as the NSX. If I need to charge the phone I'll hook it up the the lighter adapter, otherwise it stays in my pocket or the coin tray (which, happily, holds my iPhone case perfectly).

See also this thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121560

I'm still concerned with this in the NSX. I found that what works in most systems doesn't work so well with the Bose amps. They want a STRONG signal in. If you are using this to go into the factory head unit, that is fine. If you are going directly into amps, it's a different story.

Bluelink2 operates in two modes: as a receiver, music is transmitted wirelessly via bluetooth (from an iPhone, Android device etc.) to the Bluelink, which in turn outputs an analog signal that is used as an input to your sound system. As a transmitter, it does just the opposite: it accepts an analog input and transmits it via bluetooth to whatever device you wish, bluetooth headphones for example. I use it only as a receiver.

The Bluelink2 does not support handsfree calling, only music streaming. Actually this is one of the reasons I'm using it (the other being it powers up and links automatically). The vehicle I'm using it in (not the NSX) already has a separate handsfree (Johnson Controls Blueconnect) which works really well, and my wife is used to it, so I needed something that only supported streaming.

If you need handsfree also, the only game in town for the NSX is the Grom. It has several configurations so you can set it up the way you like. The USB feature is really cool, it essentially replaces the CD changer with a USB stick. I decided to forgo the wired approach in favor of bluetooth-only because I prefer not to physically attach the phone every time I get in the car, and I dislike wires dangling around my interior, especially one as tight as the NSX. If I need to charge the phone I'll hook it up the the lighter adapter, otherwise it stays in my pocket or the coin tray (which, happily, holds my iPhone case perfectly).

See also this thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121560
Thanks for the explanation Russ and also thanks for the link. I'd love the handsfree solution but i'm aiming to continue not using the factory head unit. I need the space for gauges or a tablet. it's my understanding the GROM uses the OEM buttons on the headunit to answer/end calls etc.. that's very cool. However, i'm hoping to find a solution where those can be accessed via my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy SII). Not sure what i'll find here but i'm starting to look.

Sorry to hear about your issues with pairing. That's got to be super annoying. Can you comment on the sound quality with the Bluelink vs. the Grom perhaps? I know you're not using the Bluelink in the NSX.

For <$40 i'm considering just picking one up to test with.

Ryu, have you tried a direct wire yet?

Can you comment on the sound quality with the Bluelink vs. the Grom perhaps? I know you're not using the Bluelink in the NSX.

For <$40 i'm considering just picking one up to test with.

The Bluelink is not bad but fatigues the ear over extended listening because the mids are a little harsh, at least my ear. The Grom beats it hands down - it has a very detailed, smooth and pleasing sound.

I'm using my phone 3.5mm jack to RCA in directly into the inputs of the Bose amps via the factory wire harness. Is that what you mean by "direct wire"?

Yes how is that working out? And why do you want to change it?

The Bluelink is not bad but fatigues the ear over extended listening because the mids are a little harsh, at least my ear. The Grom beats it hands down - it has a very detailed, smooth and pleasing sound.
Thanks. I'll call them and perhaps they have a solution for me. I don't need the OEM head unit at this time. Crossing my fingers...
Yes how is that working out? And why do you want to change it?
Works ok. Hard to tell because I still have to send my amps to briank for rebuild.

I'd like it wireless.

Ryu you should be using an MS-2. Let me know when the amps come back. I am curious if your phone has enough juice to drive the amps loud without noise. I really wish I knew what the factory head unit put out for voltage on the signal wires.

bummer.. GROM sent back a note saying they don't have a receiver unit that does NOT interface with the stock NSX radio. In other words they don't have a simple BT receiver that outputs to either 3.5mm or RCAs. I was really looking forward to the better sound quality.

Why don't you just get that $26 belkin?

Why don't you just get that $26 belkin?
Just haven't had very good luck with Belkin in general. I'd like to try Russ' solution but I have to source a 12v powersupply. I may end up with the Blackberry because it seems to have the most consistent reviews however it's $70ish.

What i'm really hoping for is a BT full handsfree device which has a mic incorporated. The GROM unit would have been perfect if it had more output options (i.e. 3.5mm or RCA). :frown:

Just haven't had very good luck with Belkin in general. I'd like to try Russ' solution but I have to source a 12v powersupply. I may end up with the Blackberry because it seems to have the most consistent reviews however it's $70ish.

I just bought 2 of these like 5 minutes ago to try in my wife's IS250 and my Mazdaspeed3 with an extra USB cable and usb car charge. I'll let you know how they go:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10827&cs_id=1082704&p_id=7364&seq=1&format=2

Price was 18.88 each + 0.90 for the USB cable (+ usb car charger). I used a 10% off coupon code: infocomm12

Back