• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stick Or Auto?????

AUTO and high torque goes well together, on the NSX it is not so great due to torque peak is pretty high on the powerband. Aston Martins and M-B SLR are great car to own with automatic tranny, I would want it any other way.

I have an auto and have no complaints. Again it depends on the person and what they want. I will say one thing, having an auto can limit you more than the manual as far as things you can do (mods, hp, etc), and if that is a problem for you then get a manual. Im not big into mods and don't track my car. So for me the car does exactly what its supposed to do, and thats make me smile everytime I get in and go for a drive. :biggrin: That's all I asked for when I bought it in 1999, and its still makes me smile to this day. :biggrin:

Ed

Oh and a quick note to some people that argue that no sports car should be an automatic, one can also say, no sports car should have a back seat.

Just my two cents.

2Dobes said:
I had an auto. '97 and just got a 6 spd. '05. There is a huge difference in the performance of the two cars, not to mention resale value. Very few people will even consider an auto. NSX. I felt like I gave it away.
but if they are inexpensive then that is a great reason to buy an auto. also my wife could then drive it. she won't go near my stick NSX unless she is a passenger.

2Dobes said:
I had an auto. '97 and just got a 6 spd. '05. There is a huge difference in the performance of the two cars, not to mention resale value. Very few people will even consider an auto. NSX. I felt like I gave it away.

It's too bad you gave it away. A few years ago the American NSX were too expensive for me. I bought my auto NSX 11 years ago and I sort of wanted another one but the prices were, and still are, so high in Canada for 97+ that I just gave up and bought a massively depreciated 97 BMW 850 instead. There is a down-side to high resale values and most buyers of an NSX, even automatics, experience it.

I will say one thing, having an auto can limit you more than the manual as far as things you can do (mods, hp, etc), and if that is a problem for you then get a manual. Im not big into mods and don't track my car. So for me the car does exactly what its supposed to do, and thats make me smile everytime I get in and go for a drive.

That's true. I now alot of people that have auto's because they are there because of the look of the car and drive it slow and not fast. It's all aboput the look they say. Plus it free's up your hand for other things!!!!!!! :biggrin:

all true except if you are in HK..

95% of the sportscars now is automatic
Ferrari and Lamborghini are picking up sales because now they have automatic (kind of)

**they see how good the 911 is selling (with Tiptronic) so they can't neglect the market)

as for me, I still cannot find a decent manual NSX....sigh

NOTE: actually, the automatic sportscar owners think it's easier to sell the cars in 2nd hand market when they are automatic.....
(drive me crazy!)

Lime Green NSX said:
I know everyone like's the 6 speed, but how are the auto's truly?
If you are just using as a Sunday or every other day of the week what is the preffered choice? Exspecialy for city driving? :confused:

I have both and I hardly drive the automatic now that I own the manual shift. The auto was fine when I was in Chicago all the time and stuck in traffic, but without that concern the manual is the ONLY way to go. If you are in Indiana anytime soon let me know and you can drive them back-to-back.

I have both, and I love both of them. If you want an automatic, then go ahead and get one. It is a great car - stick or not.

willabeest said:
she won't go near my stick NSX unless she is a passenger.

I told my wife that the NSX was aval in auto, she said "huh? why?"

She wants me to trade her Lexus LS400 for a Nissan Altima 6sp....can't please everybody I guess :wink:

Its an abomination that cars like these are even offered in Auto...

Gah.. when I see a Porsche, NSX, Miata, S2000 or any other sports car with a noob thumb stick it makes me sick....

With the stick, how do you hold your cellphone? :smile:

The stick car has more horsepower, and obviously most guys think it is "cool" to drive a stick, but the automatic is just fine. I'm not saying the automatic is better, or worse. It is just a different choice. But if you don't mind shifting, and the car will be a Sunday driver, get the stick. It will just be a toy to you anyway so have fun with it.

Are you married? A lot of wives these days don't drive sticks, so if you want the significant other to be able to drive it, you should seriously consider an automatic if she doesn't drive a stick. On the other hand, if you DON'T want her to drive it, get the stick!

I think you should conform. :redface: Get a red NSX (no black top, too nonconformist), with the black interior and the stick. That would be the least objectionable combination, right? Then if you ever come across someone with an NSX that is different than yours, you can tell them what an abomination their car is, and how they should conform. Because sports cars are SUPPOSED to be red, right? And they are REQUIRED to have a manual transmission, right? Because otherwise you are just not conforming...

Since automatics are are soooooo cheap:wink:, you should be able to get one for next to nothing:rolleyes:, then paint it to match your avatar, which I think looks really cool. (Really, I like it. Seriously, I do. It glows! And a lime green NSX with a black top would be something different, not just another red sports car.) Since it would "only" be an automatic, who would care if it is not the original paint, right? Keep it for a few years then trade it in for an old Ford Pinto, if you are willing to bring cash to the table to get them to take the automatic NSX off your hands. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back