• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

***STICKY*** Gen1 NSX Current Market Analysis

State of the Market 2021

It is now that time of the year to reflect on the NSX market of the departing tumultuous 2021. Despite a year rife with uncertainty, in general, NSX values have increased from 2020 to 2021.

IN GENERAL:

• A total of 399 NSXs entered the database this year, among the stock and clean-title examples:.
    • 88 NSX sale prices recorded (40% increase)
    • 22 NSXs did not meet reserve (~4% decrease)
    • 80% of NSXs sold (~7% increase)
    • 75 NSXs listed by dealers (~24% decrease)
    • 63 NSXs listed by private sellers (~47% decrease)
  • The average of all NSX sale prices increased from $72,379 to $88,963.
  • The average of all NSX list prices increased from $69,029 to $88,568.
  • In general a strong market was observed:
    • the sale strength of each type of NSX increased throughout 2021. In other words, the market got "hotter" throughout the year.
    • increased NSX sales further fueled the fire, coupled with a notable decrease in NSX listings on online sites.

NA1 COUPE MANUAL:

• 2021 values increased 16% on average across the mileage range.
  • 2021 listing prices increased 20% on average across the mileage range.
  • A notable sale at $164000 occurred for a 3500 mile white example on Bring a Trailer in Mar 2021, a new record NA1 Coupe manual sale price.

NA1 TARGA MANUAL:

• 2021 values increased 12% on average across the mileage range.
  • 2021 listing prices increased 18% on average across the mileage range.
  • A notable sale at $125000 occurred for a 6450 mile example on Bring a Trailer in May 2021, a new record NA1 Targa manual sale price.
  • Additionally, a midnight crossed the BaT block at a $97000 hammer price in Dec 2021, a strong showing for the elusive shade.

NA2 TARGA (POP-UPS) MANUAL:

• 2021 values increased 22% on average across the mileage range (limited data).
  • 2020 listing prices increased 21% on average across the mileage range.
  • A notable sale at $159000 occurred for a Monaco Blue 39k mile example on Bring a Trailer in October 2020, the highest recorded NA2 Targa (popups) manual sale price to date.
  • The NA2 Targa (pop-ups) had the largest rise in value this year.

NA2 TARGA (FACELIFT) MANUAL:

• 2021 values increased 16% on average across the mileage range (limited data).
  • 2021 listing prices increased 11% on average across the mileage range.
  • A notable sale at $250,000 occurred for a 16k mile Imola Orange example at auction in Nov 2021, a new record NA2 Targa (Facelift) manual sale price.

NA2 COUPE

• Yet another year with no NA2 Coupe sales. Stay tuned!

ZANARDI

• Only 1 Zanardi sold this year, selling at $158000 on BaT in Apr 2021.

AS ALWAYS, PLEASE REFER TO THE NSX VALUATION DOCUMENT TO SEE THE LIVE_UPDATED INSIGHTS:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/2/d/e/2PACX-1vRlMWrnUJz9cwfQRByIksV6s-9dCheISwbMUtPkDGngiPanuhIfiHDIcsmwfqBxOUZJb_-WUwbcHb7L/pubhtml

This year saw many record numbers and the NSX market had its strongest year yet. With the rest of the new car and used car market sent into turmoil due to shortages, I'll be curious to see whether 2022 will come close to the frenetic growth seen by the NSX market in 2021 and will continue entering in each sale as it comes.

Thank you to the community for your continued support, and happy new year.

^I forgot to paste the annual summary for 2021, enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks, Eric, for keeping this up! Seeing these values increasing makes me think about going back to stock. Only thing is, where’s the fun in that? :D

An amazing asset to the NSX community, thanks for sharing.

I'm waiting to see an NA2 coupe sell or an NSX Type S to publicly change hands. Soon enough.

I smell a 3 handle on the first type S to hit an auction...

Value

I smell a 3 handle on the first type S to hit an auction...

Have a 1999 NSX - Black on Black 6spd with 36k miles ready to sell...can I ask $135k or too high? Full service, documentation, ownership history (3 prev owners) and some cool accessories. Love to know you opinions.

Have a 1999 NSX - Black on Black 6spd with 36k miles ready to sell...can I ask $135k or too high? Full service, documentation, ownership history (3 prev owners) and some cool accessories. Love to know you opinions.

we generally run a tight ship on prime and discourage the "I might want to sell if the price is right" posts.. that said this is a used price guide thread ...and the data is there for your perusal ...remember mods often shrink your buyer pool..but may stimulate that rare bird ...In general the pristine NA2 with popups have traded hands in the 100-140 range..

[FONT=&]State of the Market 2021

It is now that time of the year to reflect on the NSX market of the departing tumultuous 2021. Despite a year rife with uncertainty, in general, NSX values have increased from 2020 to 2021.

IN GENERAL:

• A total of 399 NSXs entered the database this year, among the stock and clean-title examples:.

• Thanks for keeping up with the sale stats.... I'm surprise to see 399 NSX sales in just one year. Any idea how many NA1 and NA2 are still in existent now? I recalled there were less than 10k gen1 NSX sold in America.

Last edited:
Do we post our own cars on the spreadsheet, or is someone doing that work? I posted when I bought my car but didn't take any action on the spreadsheet. Don't want to mess anything up if someone is moderating it.

pm racerwing with info

It would be interesting to see the data on automatics get split out by generation. My thinking is that the discount is bigger vs peer group in the 97+ cars... The black 97 on BAT this week is an example.

Thanks for keeping up with the sale stats.... I'm surprise to see 399 NSX sales in just one year. Any idea how many NA1 and NA2 are still in existent now? I recalled there were less than 10k gen1 NSX sold in America.

"Entered the database" includes listings as well as sales, splitting out just the sales for the year was a much more reasonable 88.

To get some idea, every NSX that has been either listed or sold that has entered my database since 2010 with a VIN works out to be 29.33% of the production run, counting unique VINs.

Automatics by year / class

It would be interesting to see the data on automatics get split out by generation. My thinking is that the discount is bigger vs peer group in the 97+ cars... The black 97 on BAT this week is an example.

An interesting request! Let's see where it leads, using only stock, clean-title sales with no special factors or colors:

<google-sheets-html-origin style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: medium;"></google-sheets-html-origin><google-sheets-html-origin style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: medium;">
ClassYearCOUNTAvg Value Effect
NA1 Coupe (Pop-up)199146-13%
19929-11%
19933-14%
199410-6%
199610%
NA1 Coupe (Pop-up) Total69-11%
NA1 Targa (Pop-up)19956-18%
19968-3%
19973-10%
1998125%
200151%
NA1 Targa (Pop-up) Total23-6%
NA1 Targa (Facelift)200226%
200412%
NA1 Targa (Facelift) Total35%
Grand Total95-10%

<tbody>
</tbody>
</google-sheets-html-origin>We can conclude that there is a difference in the average effect of an automatic on the respective values of the NA1 Coupe, Targa, and Targa Facelift. The preceding order is the order of most negative impact to least negative impact.

Within the NA1 Coupe, 1991-1993 are very consistent, with 1994 showing less of an negative effect. This is consistent with the general trend for 1994s to command slightly higher values than their other NA1 Coupe counterparts.
Within the NA1 Targa, there is high variability between the years. The limited data is consistent with the general trend for 2000-2001s to command slightly higher values than their 1997-1999 counterparts.
Within the NA1 Targa Facelift, the limited data suggests this unique type of NSX is not negatively impacted by the automatic transmission. Another way to look at it is that the Facelift commands a higher value than a corresponding Pop-up, NA1 Targa Automatic to NA1 Targa Automatic.

Last edited:
Thanks. Interesting that you clump the 95-96 with the 97-01. My hypothesis was that the automatic "hit" is larger against the years that the 3.2 was the manual engine (97-04) vs the earlier cars... looks like it's not a valid hypothesis (or could be a low data thing). Frankly, seeing only 1% difference on 5 2001 automatic cars vs manuals is shocking. I assume these are all corrected for all the other factors that affect value.

My thoughts on the auto's is that the market is smaller but the buyers are more committed/desiring the auto and either don't know or car about the lower HP rating

Thanks. Interesting that you clump the 95-96 with the 97-01. My hypothesis was that the automatic "hit" is larger against the years that the 3.2 was the manual engine (97-04) vs the earlier cars... looks like it's not a valid hypothesis (or could be a low data thing). Frankly, seeing only 1% difference on 5 2001 automatic cars vs manuals is shocking. I assume these are all corrected for all the other factors that affect value.

That's the beauty of these investigations, sometimes there's more than one answer to the question! The question I answered was more "how do I handle the automatic value difference internally, and what does it look like for each NSX class?" Correct, I filtered out as much data as possible to get as close to nominal comparisons as possible, with the intent of evaluating the automatic value impact only.
Models_Overview.png
In other words, what I showed in the previous post was like colors comparison (blue to blue dash, red to red dash), comparing "likes to likes" to show the automatic impact compared to the closest comparable NA1 manual NSX. So yes, I do value 1995-2001 Targa Automatics as 1995-1996 Targa Manuals with an value multiplier for the automatic transmission (and the results are generally favorable).

With your clarification, I think you're looking more at what is the raw difference when moving vertically on the graph for each year. Here's the data for that (again filtered such that only the automatic impact is considered):

<google-sheets-html-origin style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: medium;">
Avg % Value Difference Auto vs ManualAuto CountManual Count
1991-19.12%46198
1992-27.91%964
1993-9.48%349
19940.43%1031
1995-21.58%673
1996-18.23%944
199715.44%327
1998-29.24%127
1999No Autos15
2000No Autos21
2001-15.71%517
2002-28.91%118
2003No Autos19
2004-46.30%119
2005No Autos31

<tbody>
</tbody>
</google-sheets-html-origin>
Since the raw sale prices were used in this calculation, an uneven or irregular distribution of sale prices throughout time can lead to outliers. In other words, if all 3 1997 NSXs automatics sold recently, the average would be misleadingly higher than the corresponding 1997 manuals which have sold over a broader range of time since 2010 (one explanation for the abnormal 1997 result).

Again, little to no Automatic data impacts the strength of the conclusion drawn, but there does appear to be a general trend toward the automatic having more of a negative effect on value when compared to the equivalent manual NSX from the same year as the year increases (especially NA2s vs same year automatics), which I believe is your original hypothesis.

Last edited:
Since the raw sale prices were used in this calculation, an uneven or irregular distribution of sale prices throughout time can lead to outliers. In other words, if all 3 1997 NSXs automatics sold recently, the average would be misleadingly higher than the corresponding 1997 manuals which have sold over a broader range of time since 2010 (one explanation for the abnormal 1997 result).

Again, little to no Automatic data impacts the strength of the conclusion drawn, but there does appear to be a general trend toward the automatic having more of a negative effect on value when compared to the equivalent manual NSX from the same year as the year increases (especially NA2s vs same year automatics), which I believe is your original hypothesis.

It is. :)

Back