• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

***STICKY*** Gen1 NSX Current Market Analysis

10% not meeting reserve is interesting to me. Does anyone know the Bid goes on % at mecum or BJ?

I expect them to level out a bit however I don’t think they have peaked for good.

I expect them to level out a bit however I don’t think they have peaked for good.
Prices have leveled out and are dropping slightly. But, I continue to believe that the NSX remains an excellent long-term investment. The 90's JDM boom will last for at least 10 more years or until we become too old to drive the cars. The same thing happened to the late 60's muscle cars. Boomers paid $500k for a 70 Hemi Cuda convertible. But now they are 80 years old with arthritis and dementia and can't drive it anymore.

If you considered the Gen 1 NSX as an asset/investment, the average ones haven't really gone up that much factoring in the crazy inflation in the last 5 years. The very minty ones are in a different market, probably worth 40 - 50% more than the average ones.

My local restaurants have almost doubled in just a few years for the same food.

All relative I suppose depends on how you look at it. I suspect a drop come October when college loan bills are due with crippling interest rates. I suspect lots of asset liquidation.

there is plenty of money with the stock market near the high. however, a severe recession that pops the equity bubble will definitely cause massive asset liquidation.

To whoever does the spread sheets for 2023, here are some results from auctions outside of BAT.

JH4NA1266MT003210 sold on eBay for 45,900.

JH4NA1150MT001266 sold on C&B for $55,000.

JH4NA21693T000064 sold on C&B for $145,000.

JH4NA126XVT000022 sold on C&B for $85,000.

JH4NA21695S000154 sold on C&B for $88,500.

JH4NA1268YT000010 sold on C&B for $75,000.

JH4NA1156MT003054 sold on C&B for $82,000.

JH4NA1157NT001265 sold on C&B for $68,300.

JH4NA1154NT000784 sold on C&B for $68,420.

Last edited:
I found a completely stock silverstone 2005 that looks good but has 60K miles on it and the seller wants 200k because he sees minty ones go up to that. I looked at the spreadsheet and it looks like this should go for much less than this. I'm struggling to guess what an actual fair price would be tho.

I found a completely stock silverstone 2005 that looks good but has 60K miles on it and the seller wants 200k because he sees minty ones go up to that. I looked at the spreadsheet and it looks like this should go for much less than this. I'm struggling to guess what an actual fair price would be tho.

I sold my 16K mile 2005 a few months ago for $176K, but the values are really sensitive to mileage. Also, my car needed absolutely nothing, it had recent service history including all hoses, water pump, cam belt, tires, etc.

However, a similar low mileage 2005 sold a few months later for $123K, I think possibly because the car had old tires and the cam belt and water pump had never been changed. The seller said he talked to "an expert" who said the car didn't need that done. But in addition to being a several thousand dollar expense, to many bidders, that injects uncertainty about how the car may have been cared for. So that seller got over $50K less than I did.

Here are sales within the last year of 2002-2005 cars. Each listing shows the mileage. You can click on each car to read more and to go to the auction, etc., where it was sold. If you look through those 18 sale listings it will be pretty clear what a nice 60k mile car might be worth these days.

Last edited:
You’ll see dealers buy these cars and sell (finance) them to clout chasers. I’ve seen a few dealer listings of mkIV Supras for 60-80k at 150K+ miles.

State of the Market 2023​

It is now that time of the year to reflect on the NSX market of the departing 2023 (a bit later than usual, but rest assured the insights are just as fresh). 2023 resulted in a higher percentage of NSXs sold vs 2022, but the overall supply was reduced, leading to a market mostly consistent with 2022 as the books close.

IN GENERAL:​

A total of 406 (25% decrease) NSXs entered the database, among the 294 (13% decrease) stock and clean-title examples:
68 NSX sale prices recorded (20% decrease). BaT was the most prolific sale venue with 35 sales.
31 NSXs did not meet reserve (45% decrease)
69% of NSXs sold (9% increase)
84 NSXs listed by dealers (10% decrease)
111 NSXs listed by private sellers (7% increase)
The average of all NSX sale prices decreased from $96,644 to $94,068.
The average of all NSX list prices increased from $99,465 to $100,974.

IN GENERAL A COOL-STABLE MARKET WAS OBSERVED:​

the sale strength of each type of NSX cooled throughout the first half of the year, then stabilized. In other words, the market got "cooler" throughout the first part of year then "stable" in the last part. 4 record sale prices were set in 2023. A decrease in the quantity of NSXs offered for sale was observed

NA1 COUPE MANUAL:​

2023 average and median values decreased 2%.
2023 average and median listing prices decreased 4%.
A notable sale of a 711 mile example at $235,000 occurred in August 2023, the highest recorded NA1 Coupe manual sale price to date.

NA1 TARGA MANUAL:​

2023 average and median values increased 9%.
2023 average and median listing prices decreased 6%.
A notable sale at $130,000 occurred in May 2023, the highest recorded NA1 Targa manual sale price to date.

NA2 TARGA (POP-UPS) MANUAL:​

2023 average and median values decreased 14% (limited data).
2023 average and median listing prices decreased 8% (limited data).
A notable sale at $291,000 occurred in August 2023, the highest recorded NA2 Targa (popups) manual sale price to date AND beating the September 2020 Zanardi to be the highest recorded NSX sale in the database!

NA2 TARGA (FACELIFT) MANUAL:​

2023 average and median values stayed about the same (limited data).
2023 average and median listing prices increased 3%.

NA2 COUPE (POP-UPS) MANUAL:​

...crickets, none sold this year. Try again next year.

ZANARDI​

...crickets, none sold this year. Try again next year.

AS ALWAYS, PLEASE REFER TO THE NSX VALUATION DOCUMENT TO SEE THE LIVE_UPDATED INSIGHTS (AND SUBMIT YOUR OWN SALE DATA!):​

https://docs.google.com/.../2PACX.../pubhtml

While last year's conclusion kept us on the edges of our seats, this year kept us in our seats, with a continuation of 2022 trends, a decrease in supply, and some record sales but no Zanardi or NA2 Coupe unicorns. I'll be curious to see the emerging 2024 trends, with 6 sales already, and will continue entering in each sale as it comes. There is no better resource than the NSX Valuation Document for NSX values, capturing NSX sales from all venues including private sales to get the most diverse data set for the most accurate and up-to-date valuations available.

Thank you to the community for your continued support, and happy new year!

There is something odd-looking in the curves today, besides the fact that they start at $50k instead of zero (which distorts the values) and the inconsistent Y scales in adjacent graphs.

The curves show NA1 Targa (1995-96) values higher than NA2 Pop-ups (1997-2001), for mileage over 25k, despite that fact that NA2's would be ~3 years newer on average, and also have a few improvements.:unsure: So if any 95 or 96 owners want to trade up to a 3.2, more horsepower, better ABS, and perforated leather seats, now is the time - you can make money doing it. Or just trade in your NA1 Targa for a NA2 with 20-30% fewer miles for the same $. It seems that one NA1 Targa is in the data at $118k; Friday's sale at 61 is on the list of recents but not included in the calculations.

It also appears to show sale prices about $10k above listing prices for NA1 targas. It looks like customers are refusing to pay the asking price and insisting on paying more. :)

Last edited:
The $95,700 for the 2003 automatic that sold this past weekend at Barrett-Jackson will surely throw off the curve for automatic cars. I don't know that I've ever seen an automatic sell for that high.

The $95,700 for the 2003 automatic that sold this past weekend at Barrett-Jackson will surely throw off the curve for automatic cars. I don't know that I've ever seen an automatic sell for that high.
I think you will see more of this as a large portion of drivers never learn to drive manual today.

I think you will see more of this as a large portion of drivers never learn to drive manual today.
This is an astute observation. As they get more money, younger drivers want to experience the iconic older sports cars, but they never learned to drive a manual. Both my kids have asked to learn on the NSX but I always tell them that by the time they are driving, it will be an effectively useless skill. I'll still probably teach them though LOL.

JH4NA12653T000006

Was for sale at Sterling-McCall Acura, Houston, TX, June of 2011 for $54,991 with 9,xxx miles.
It popped up again in June of 2023 at Marshall Goldman with same mileage as the recent B-J Auction. Asking $149,900.

There will always be a decent market for automatic NSXs.

I'm surprised my posting From January hasn't generated more discussion, but perhaps not a lot of statisticians on this forum?

There has been something very odd about the graphs since at least the start of 2024. The best NSX's, NA2 Popups, are showing notably lower values than the '95-'96 units, despite being 3.5 years newer on average and having the NA2 upgrades. The discrepancy has widened since January when they were almost the same.

In the past, NA2 Popup values have been between NA1 and facelift values, as one might expect, and as shown on the average listing prices graphs.

I'm surprised my posting From January hasn't generated more discussion, but perhaps not a lot of statisticians on this forum?

There has been something very odd about the graphs since at least the start of 2024. The best NSX's, NA2 Popups, are showing notably lower values than the '95-'96 units, despite being 3.5 years newer on average and having the NA2 upgrades. The discrepancy has widened since January when they were almost the same.

In the past, NA2 Popup values have been between NA1 and facelift values, as one might expect, and as shown on the average listing prices graphs.
I see what you are seeing, and agree, that is weird. But in no world is a 95-96 targa worth more than a similar mileage 97-01 NA2 targa. My guess is that the data is skewed due to limited sales of 97-01 NA2 targas.

I think to make an intelligent decision about values, you need to look at more than just the numbers.

You need to look in detail at every single sale over the past 12 months. Sales and values older than that are not pertinent to the current market.

classic.com is a good place to find this info, including links to the completed auctions.

You can choose to only display sold cars over the last year, here's an example for 2002-2005 cars.

Every single NSX has a different story. Certainly some buyers get lucky, and some sellers get lucky, but most of the time the market is rational. To understand the story behind each sale, you need to read the full description of each car, not just the title, color, mileage, tranny type, and sale price.

On the high end sales, low mileage is VERY important, no accidents is VERY important, no paintwork is VERY important, complete servicing is VERY important, and no mods is VERY important.

Lots of cars are non-optimum in one or more of these categories.

I sold my no excuses 16k mile 2005 for $176K on BaT, and a couple months later a near identical 16k mile 2002 sold for $123K- that's a $53,000 (30%!) discount.

There may be other reasons, but that car had the original timing belt, water pump, and hoses, and 18 year old tires. Who wants to buy a six-figure car and then immediately have to take it in for a major service? Those issues make potential buyers wonder about what other issues the car might have.

If you just look at the color and mileage and those two sale prices, you might conclude that prices had fallen 30% in a few months. But to the buyers, the conditions of the two cars were not really comparable.

One final note on prices- when you see a conventional auction (Mecum, etc.) saying they "sold a car for $110K," what that really means is that the car hammered for $100K, the buyer also paid a 10% bidder fee so paid $110K, and......the seller paid a 10% seller fee, so only received $90K. (And actually the fees may be more than 10% these days, I'm not sure...)

Back