• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

STMPO Rollbar

During phone calls and emails with Turbotogo... he was made aware that the cross bar is important. He received an email of the FIA specs of a roll cage. He was given time to review it... and today we are waiting to show him the mounted main hoop with down bars. At that time we will measure the loss of the passenger seat and play with all of the style mounts of this cross bar so we can email him pictures for him to decide.

Dave will then be able to properly decide between additional safety and loss of use at no additional charge.

Ross I think either I am confused, or you are confused about what Hrant was asking. The cross bar he was asking about is what ties the two down pipes together. The cross brace you seem to be talking about is on the main hoop. Right Hrant? you were asking about the cross brace that is under the engine hatch and not inside the cabin?

I remember John telling me how he had looked extensively at this issue, and telling me pretty much that he though a harness bar in a rollover could actually hurt. Come undone, and be a liability in the cabin. At the very least, this rollbar can be called a much more proper harness bar.

I remember over 15 years ago standing inside a specially-constructed 3D "room" at Argonne National Laboratory outside of Chicago with three video projectors and 3D goggles on my head watching the latest computer simulation of a vehicle structure deform as it crashed.

As sophisticated as that was 15 years ago, there is still a requirement and no substitute for real-life crash testing. I personally have not installed any devices or tampered with the SRS, seats, steering wheel, belts, etc on my street car until I have a complete comprehensive package that was designed to work together. Piecemealing it can be hazardous on the street or track.

Having said that, I agree with John@Microsoft's thoughts. I also believe that the bolt-in Carbing cages, etc are for show and can also do more harm than good in an accident.

However, the STMPO setup looks to me as the first real harness/rollover bar I would consider. It is by far the strongest of the other offerings in the past, and that's what I want in my personal car (I don't want a full cage because this is street-driven). If I'm going to put this in my car, I want it as strong as possible so it doesn't bend/break, etc and wind up as something to mutilate my head.

My $0.02.

Dave

resurecting this thread to ask turbo2go why he is selling all the stmpo braces he bought after extensive discussions on prime about the benefits :confused:

resurecting this thread to ask turbo2go why he is selling all the stmpo braces he bought after extensive discussions on prime about the benefits :confused:

I am talking to a local guy now to see what he can build. Sadly Ross stopped NSX work and so this rollbar never came to be. I am actually hesitant to sell the stuff, wondering if there is any more left to buy if the local guy doesn't work out. My RSTB is black and I don't like that, figured even if the local rollbar doesn't get built I prefer a silver RSTB. The bumper beam... Ive had for over 2 years and not put in. Everythings been sitting here so I am just trying to get the cash and put toward a rollbar or at least a harness bar and belts.

Back