• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stock Wheel Stripping Advice? Sandblast? BeadBlast? Chemical Spray?

I was redoing my 7 spoke rims that came to me messed up from a seller here.
I stripped one with a chemical spray can method I bought at Canadian Tire.
It worked ok, but thought I would go out and get an inexpensive small blast gun. There are many types of abrasives, what should a guy get?
The wheels are the stock silver paint on them.
Thanks so much
Trev

use Aircraft Paint Stripper, comes in aerosol can from any auto store. Spray it on, let it soak, scrape with a rubber rib and wash it off. It will eat through powdercoat even, and not harm the metal.

I was redoing my 7 spoke rims that came to me messed up from a seller here.
I stripped one with a chemical spray can method I bought at Canadian Tire.
It worked ok, but thought I would go out and get an inexpensive small blast gun. There are many types of abrasives, what should a guy get?
The wheels are the stock silver paint on them.
Thanks so much
Trev
Have you considered having them refinished by a professional wheel refinishing company? For 100-$150 per wheel they will restore them to almost new condition. Good luck!

Chemical strippers work pretty well, but my question is why you feel you need to strip it. Can you simply sand/scuff the original paint, prime it with a really good primer and then paint?

(You might have to do a few iterations of prime/sand/prime if you have gouges or chips in the paint. If so use a sandable filler/primer, and if the chips are really big you might even have to use a separate filler.)

The wheels are messed up bad with rash on edge of two and one with bad rash on two spokes. I already stripped one with a can of spray from Canadian Tire, worked well but took time. Filed down the lip a bit and filled in everything after that and did more filling and sanding.
Wheel Works here wanted 800.00 to do the wheels.
I thought I would see what I could do.
I will check with another guy at Aero Car parts that has done some painting for me this friday.
Thanks guys.
Trev

The professional wheel remanufacturer I use actually burns the original paint off with an acetylene torch, then glass-beads the residue off. My wheels came out beautifully.

Back